Top ndoen sleeve = hemmed edge.

Old July 5th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Nanci E Donacki

Default Top ndoen sleeve = hemmed edge.

Hi All,
I'm making a baby sweater with a hemmed edge. The sleeves are grafted to
the body and knitted top down. Since I'm fairly new at this, I'm not sure
about turning the hem. When I do it from the bottom up, I have waste yarn
to help me identify the row that I need, but I'm not sure how to do this on
a top down sleeve. Any tips for making sure I have the right row evenly
across.
Thanks in advance.
Nanci

Old July 5th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

Hi Nancy,

A picot hem would be nice on the sleeve of a baby sweater. You just
make eyelets all across the row (every other stitch is transferred to
the needle beside it, the empty needles are left in working position,
and when you knit the next row, you get a lovely row of little holes)
Knit about 3 or 4 more rows, bind off, and when you turn the hem at the
holes, it makes a nice picot edge.

If you don't like that idea, you could always lay a length of waste
yarn across the open needles at the place where you want to turn the
hem, and it will get knitted in; (maybe hang clothespins from each end
to keep it fairly taut) Then you can pull it out when you have the hem
finished.

I'm sure you will figure something out!

Peggy in NC

Old July 5th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Nanci E Donacki

Peggy,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll give them a try with some waste
yarn and see what is easiest to do. Id not, I can just do a standard sleeve
witha picot hem and then graft it to the body.
I was also talking with a friend of mine today and she suggested snaps
instead of buttons for this cardigan, since I decided to make it like a
blanket rather than a standard length sweater. I may just make anextra
button band and see which works best.
Thanks again for all you suggestions.
Nanci
oups.com...

nylon fabric edge Shinnen Needlework 4 May 3rd 06 12:34 AM
Good News , no bad reactions to knitting in train +oooops Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 22 February 4th 06 06:35 PM
interesting sleeve treatment Marilyn Sewing 2 March 1st 05 08:39 AM
collar question FtForger Sewing 20 May 14th 04 09:36 AM
My next project Trish Brown Sewing 11 April 27th 04 10:42 AM