more pics and descriptions added

Old September 20th 03, 11:38 AM
meijhana

Hey, Mary...another Mary here.

I was in your shoes. I couldn't believe that I could charge more for items.
I didn't think that mine were worth that...boy, was I wrong.

These people here aren't trying to bring you down. FAR FROM IT!!!! They
are trying to support you from under, to lift you up!

My suggestion...try to get away from the plate. I realize that it is hard.
Don't buy from Michaels or from the craft stores. Try to invest in the
sterling at least...it isn't *that* much more expensive than the plate.

If you email me (mary at meijhanadesigns dot com), I can tell you some
online places to get items that you can afford. And believe you me. I
can't afford to put out $100 at a time or more. So if you email me, I will
give you some contacts, and we can try to find out what your budget is, what
types of jewelry you make, and find out where the best prices are for you,
k?

Then we can work on that "it's just a hobby" thing. :-) You may do it for
"just church"...but whether you make and sell 5 a year, or 5,000, let's try
to make them the best you can!!! :-)

Mary
www.meijhanadesigns.com

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.
"MBryt1" wrote in message
People will say, "Oh, I bought some of that
hand-beaded stuff. It fell apart three months later." Don't make all of

us
look bad.

Well I thought if I was shopping at a local bead store or the bead stores
online that I was buying acceptable materials. If it is crap, why do they

sell
it? And I can't afford expensive "parts" so I try to buy quality without
spending what I don't have. Should I question all the items I look at at

the
bead store? I think I have bought nice things and I know a lot of what I

buy is
the same thing they use in the jewelry classes and such at the store.

Also, just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, when I jewelry shop

at
craft fairs, etc... I never see lists of products with each jewelry piece

shown
and I don't even think to ask! I see what I like and what I can afford and

buy it. I am sure there are more discriminating buyers but I'm not

one...at
least yet.
Mary
Close To My Heart Consultant
www.stampinhappens.com
Mom to Aimee, dedicated college student
and Jacob, CP kid and aspiring mafia godfather

Old September 20th 03, 01:45 PM
MBryt1

Thanks for the info - I will be in touch for more info at some point. I looked
through your website and I like your jewelry - very pretty. Thank you for being
helpful -

Old September 20th 03, 02:04 PM
Lisa

Me, too Mary. And again, it's not to bring you down, but to give air under
your wings.

You are excited about this new venture...why are you not as excited at
making it the best it can be?

Beleive it or not, bead stores sell "junk". They also sell fine items, so
you need to learn the difference between the two. I don't think that you
have done that yet.

Y'know those blue/bronze/gold beads that I mentioned that I had used? Take
a look at the inside of them...many will have a white ring around the
hole...indication of poor quality, mass produced beads. Nothing wrong with
mass production, just make sure it's GOOD production.

As to your point about you don't ask what an item is made of ... doesn't
matter. I ask. Others will ask. And if you can' t tell me authoritatively
what materials you use, then you lose...at least my business. You are
representing yourself as a knowledgeable professional, and you should be
able to tell me how your products are made. These questions apply
everywhere that you are selling your product and presenting yourself as an
authority.

I know your name from several RS yahoogroups. You are a CTMH
consultant...can you tell the difference between good and poor quality
rubberstamps? If I ask you what makes CTMH a quality product (and I have my
own opinion on whether or not it is, this is just for discussion) can you
tell me?

What makes a good rubber stamp? What type of wood is used for your
mountings? Does it makes a difference you know? Some companies use green
rubber...why is that? Is it inferior? Superior? I even bought stamps that
are green glitter rubber...what's with that? Why are they made like that?

Why are CTMH stamps so much more expensive than others (just an example
question, i don't know if theyare)? Why are Magenta stamps viewed with
such awe as to be considered collectible? Why is the mounting cushion so
much thicker/thinner on some stamps?

Why are rubber stamps superior or inferior to polymer stamps?

Each of these questions can be reframed for your jewelry. When you can
answer these in the context of your jewelry (and your rubber stamps) then I
think you will be more prepared to sell. When you can articulate what makes
your jewelry and what makes your jewelry different/special, then you'll be
closer.

Since you are already established as a recorded tax paying company, that
part of business is already taken care of, you just have to set up a similar
tracking system for your jewelry.

But do think about being the best you can be. It really ISN'T that much more
expensive to use sterling findings, and good glass beads if that's the
avenue you want to take as opposed to gemstones.
"MBryt1" wrote in message
I'm starting to think you shouldn't be selling yet -- not til you know

better
what you're doing.

Thanks for your input.

Old September 20th 03, 02:50 PM
laura

"Lisa" wrote in message

As to your point about you don't ask what an item is made of ... doesn't
matter. I ask. Others will ask. And if you can' t tell me

authoritatively
what materials you use, then you lose...at least my business. You are
representing yourself as a knowledgeable professional, and you should be
able to tell me how your products are made. These questions apply
everywhere that you are selling your product and presenting yourself as an
authority.

Not to mention that is isn't legal to misrepresent a basemetal as a precious
metal. Descriptions such as "gold clasp" and "silver wire" are misleading
if they aren't truly gold and silver, but are just colored or plated to look
that way. These are not trivial issues to annoy you with, but legal
definitions which could get you into a whole lot of trouble if not properly
considered.

Laura

Old September 20th 03, 07:27 PM
Deirdre S.

On 20 Sep 2003 04:02:07 GMT, (MBryt1) wrote:

Also, just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, when I jewelry shop at
craft fairs, etc... I never see lists of products with each jewelry piece shown
and I don't even think to ask! I see what I like and what I can afford and I
buy it. I am sure there are more discriminating buyers but I'm not one...at
least yet.
Mary

I think this is a reasonable point of view, and that there is a market
for things made with all levels of components.

My bias would be in favor of being well enough informed oneself to
know the differences, and what kind of difference they actually make
from the buyer's POV (hypo-allergenic, won't tarnish, more sturdily
made, more break-resistent, etc.) and then not misrepresent what you
are selling.

A gold-plated pewter clasp may be perfectly adequate for a particular
piece prepared for a particular market. One that expects something
other than an heirloom, at a less-than-heirloom price.

I have a bunch of silver-plated and gold-plated pewter Bali-style
spacers from Blake Brothers. I like the look, and the price is very
comfortable if I want to use a lot of them. I couldn't begin to afford
that much 'real' Bali in either plain silver or vermeil. I use them
without apology BUT I also 'bill' them (in both senses of the word) as
plated pewter, not silver or vermeil. The same goes for doing wirework
in copper instead of precious metal most of the time. It is a
conscious choice, and means I can afford to do -more items-, and
therefore become proficient faster, and feel more free to experiment,
because I am less anxious about errors and waste.

Most buyers don't care what the components are. They see a metallic
sparkle and don't question how it is arrived at. The try a clasp and
find it easy or difficult to fasten.

Lots of buyers are looking for something that 'goes' with their
wardrobe, or is in their favorite colors. They expect it to last as
long as the outfit, perhaps, but not a lifetime.

The educated buyers of 'jewelry-as-art', (who will be far fewer in
number) may pass up my work with pewter spacers -- as they are
perfectly entitled to do -- and I will have offered them all the
accurate information they need to decide No instead of Yes *using
their own criteria of selection*.

I consider that being a responsible seller. And that is what I aim
for. I am not always trying to appeal to a very upscale market, though
I certainly hope to make -some- pieces that do.

I'll use the very best workmanship I am capable of in all the things I
regard as saleable. Experiments that don't quite work stay in my
drawer until I figure out how to make them work.

But I have *given away* work that came back to me for repairs because
I didn't have adequate skills yet. I think that knowing I can do
things that fail and disappoint the end-user is part of what makes me
want to stay responsive to customer feedback, especially complaints,
and to learn all I can from the mistakes, so they are fewer over time,
and not repeated often ...

All this marketing stuff is based on judgement calls. I can't make
other people's judgements for them, or tell them what they -must- do.
This isn't a guild, and I am not a Master Jeweler. It isn't up to me.

I -can- share my experience, suggest resources, describe failures and
-why- they were failures, and just generally point out some of the
pitfalls, as well as some of the ladders that are useful for climbing
back out of those pits. Like how much better precious metal crimps
work and hold than base-metal. One place where the difference makes a
-big- difference.

I wish new beaders who are beginning to offer their work beyond family
and friends all the luck in the world. But I don't want to come across
as making 'class distinctions', such as the sort that suggest that
using a brass clasp instead of a gold-filled one makes you an inferior
jewelry designer, or too cheap and cheesey to hang out with 'the
pros', who are *real* jewelry designers.

I honestly don't think that is true. I think the thing with the brass
components may be quite beautiful and very skillfully designed and
executed. If it doesn't -claim- to be gold, then my sense of
professional ethics is satisfied. And as a consumer, I will be
well-informed about what I am getting and can make my own choice on
the basis of my own standards of value-for-the-money.

Deirdre

Old September 20th 03, 08:00 PM
Deirdre S.

I go along with this wholeheartedly. And understand that what each
person can afford is dependent on lots of things that need to be taken
into consideration as they decide where to start, and how to work
their way onward from there...

Deirdre

Old September 20th 03, 08:05 PM
Deirdre S.

I like this approach. It gives context to the *why* of being conscious
of quality.

Deirdre

Old September 21st 03, 04:54 AM
Dr. Sooz

If you can make 'em at that price, then sell 'em at that price! I have done
craft shows for a long time (not with jewelry) and set prices I was
comfortable
with - enough to cover expenses and time and not too much that stuff just sat
there and I have never felt that other crafter's resented my prices nor did I
complain about theirs.

That doesn't make it right.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 21st 03, 04:57 AM
Dr. Sooz

do i do that?

Does your stuff fall apart three months later?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links