Craft Rooms

Old August 30th 03, 07:06 AM
Shirley Shone

I have a workroom upstairs with my computer in. Along with knitting
machine, 4 sewing machines, cones of yarn and materials. Plus a cartload
of rubbish.
My beading desk is downstairs, situated under the open staircase that
divides the dinning area and sitting area. I can sit there and see out
of the front window as well as the back window at the same time. Also I
can keep my eye on the TV.
I will post a picture of my desk for Vicki to put up.
Shirley

In article 1062197441.419610@prawn, Christina Peterson
writes
Jalynne mentioned rearranging her craft room.

I've been thinking a lot about the same thing. Last Spring I put all my
beads out on the porch. I call it the "sunroom" because it is all windows
on 3 sides, and has nice light. Except in winter. And it's hard to keep
the light from being very yellow in there. Also the insulation there is
poor.

Also I find I go out there for my beads, and bring them to my desk to work
on them. I like being in the thick of things. I like having Pete near me,
watching TV (or whatever), with his back to me, etc. But near.

How many people with bead rooms do their beading in those rooms?

So now I think I'm going to put my books in there, emptying the bookcases
near my desk for my beads.

I'll let you know how it progresses.

Tina

--
Shirley Shone

Old August 30th 03, 02:23 PM
laura

Dave and I both have crafts that we do that are similarly messy and require
similar use of space (he ties flies). We don't have a dedicated craft room
(well we technically do, but we've never really set it up) but he often
brings his fly tying vise down to the kitchen to sit with me and tie flies
while I bead. It's a nice, quiet sort of meditative way to spend time
together, just being in each other's presence.

We will likely be moving soon and we hope to have a good space for this in
our new place. It's one of the things we're planning. A nice, sunny space
with good light would be key!

Laura

We

Old August 30th 03, 02:29 PM
laura

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
What would be really
cool is to build a shelving system that would hold all the goods and

goodies
in a central place, along with all the tools, gizmos and whoosits.

Yes! I so want something like this when I move. If anyone has any ideas
about how this could/should be built, pass them on, please. I'll see if I
can lobby to get this on Dave's woodworking project list.

Laura

Old August 30th 03, 02:49 PM
Tink

I used to have my torch set up in my dining room, too. I thought I had to
have a 'special' area too, but with good ventilation I was just fine. Of
course, that's not an idea setup, and not one that I would recommend for the
long haul. But it does work, and it does get you going.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"CLP" wrote in message
Karen you make glass beads in your dining room? Is it vented? I can't
picture the setup. I've been hesitant because I thought I had to have a
ventilated, special area... You have a torch and tanks in your dining

room?

Old August 30th 03, 04:17 PM
Diana Curtis

I had one once. Its to confining and alone feeling. I want to be situated in
the middle of everything, with all my stuff around me. What would be really
cool is to build a shelving system that would hold all the goods and goodies
in a central place, along with all the tools, gizmos and whoosits. If it
could all be shut away from prying little fingers so much the better!
Diana, whose scissors are sacred

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 30th 03, 05:29 PM
Karen_AZ

**grin** you're definitely not thinking BIG enough!

OMG, don't let Mike hear that!!! Right now I have 12 large "parts" boxes
from Lowe's, 7 smaller ones, and a large plastic "craft tub" with odds and
ends that I've never bothered to classify (or stuff that just won't fit).
Oh, and two shoeboxes. Of course, that's not counting all my tools, which
mostly live on my workbench right now because I'm more obsessed with silver
than wire. At some point whispering I'll probably need double sets of
pliers. I've always worked at "stolen" space so I'm pretty good at at least
appearing to work small.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 30th 03, 05:45 PM
Diana Curtis

I have seen pictures of a wall full of shelves with door... and inside there
is a spot for the sewing machine when not in use but then a fold down table
swings out to provide that work space.
Id like to sit and think about what would work well to store my materials
well.... to be able to access them and then put them away easily. Drawers
that are made to be pulled out would be nice, light weight would be
ideal...and baskets for scraps and bits to look nice and function too.
Right now, since I have not worked with beads much I wouldnt be able to
design a work space well yet. I have to know my personal style to know what
would be the most efficient way to design the space. Something tells me that
a large table would be nice. Something with a rim around it so beads couldnt
escape!
Diana

Old August 30th 03, 05:58 PM
Karen_AZ

Oh Jalynne! Your quilts are gorgeous!!! I'm very fond of traditional piecing
but I love some of the more artsy designs with all those fabulous fabrics.
Yours are wonderfully innovative.

You gave me a special smile mentioning the family who are serving for the
Mennonite Central Committee. My Mom is a quilt junkie, too (she got me
hooked) and buys almost every year at the big MCC auction in Harrisburg, PA.
It's quite an event and worth the trip for anyone who loves quilts. G

Old August 30th 03, 06:30 PM
Deirdre S.

Not so far... The bulk of my beading 'stuff' lives in my basement
area...

But, I tend to bring the current project up to the upstairs bedroom to
work in company whenever company is available. Genny does her
needlepoint, and I bead. We talk or watch a tape or listen to music if
we don't feel conversational.

Deirdre

Old August 30th 03, 07:00 PM
Christina Peterson

Well, you see, Karen, this is actually pretty similar to what I have.

We have a detatched garage, with doors for one car, so we walled off the
other half for a shop. One window on the car side, three in the shop. Plus
the upstairs is used for storage. The shop is pretty much Pete's. When we
first got serious, we had each been living alone quite a while and before he
moved in I wanted there to be a place I could ask him to go to give me
space. The only drawback is getting there when it's 20 below. Well that
and the country music he plays.

Last spring I put all my things into a porch intended for summer use, which
is seperated from the rest of the house by a hallway/pantry/mechanical
"room" (boiler, water pump, heater). But I really prefer that space as an
alone space.

We have a U shaped living space. The kitchen/dining/living "room" is about
24 x 20 and works for activities that involve being up and about. Cooking,
entertaining, wrestling with the dog, etc. At the opposite end from the
entry is a wide "hall" to the bedroom/office/TV/computer "room" (about 15 x
20) has one end where our desks/desktops and computers are, and the best
chairs. The inside of that U contains the bathroom, mechanical space, back
of closets and cuphoards. My only walls that aren't round logs.

That "hall" is lined with bookcases on both sides, which may need to be
filled with bead stuff. BARRISTER'S CASES are what would go well there. A
couple people have mentioned shelves they could enclose. Barrister
(lawyer)'s cases are bookcases with glass doors. I guess I'll have to take
most of my books to the porch. And maybe I'll bring my beads in here.

From my desk, I can see out windows to the North and to the West, though not
out the East, to the front of the house, though I can hear what's out there
and see into the living room part of the front room. I have room to work on
my desk top if I get rid of my papers. The TV is behind me, so I can listen
to that as Pete watches it.

And because this really is just one big box, I can see or hear everything in
the house.

This whole question came up for me because though I've seen beading rooms, I
don't know that I've ever seen people bead in them, except where equipment
like torches, rolling mills, etc are used.

This seems to be true even when people own their own homes and can make
light structural changes like moving walls.

Tina

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
Karen you make glass beads in your dining room? Is it vented? I can't

picture the setup. I've been hesitant because I thought I had to have a
ventilated, special area... You have a torch and tanks in your dining

room?

No no noooooooo! The torching is all outside on my balcony. Best

ventilation
you can get, steady fresh air. G

I was only talking about my stringing space. I work at my dining room

table,
and store all my "parts" boxes in a bookcase in my bedroom.

Yanno, all these goals at having a house, and I'm laffin here. I used to
live in 5 bedroom (plus finished attic and full semi-finished basement)
house, and I was STILL stealing space! Part of that, though, was poor
planning and "vision" on my part. Mike is wonderful at figuring out

spaces.
I also have to say that a traditional "room" layout doesn't really work

for
what we want. We saw the perfect house last summer....Imagine a very LARGE
square (24 x 24 feet). It was somewhat eccentric because the hallway came

at
the room on an angle at a corner. The corner next to it held the kitchen,
really well-arranged, and the rest of the room was split in half to be a
family room and dining area. Big open space, cathedral ceilings, great
light.....perfect house for lots of things.

BTW, our future destination for the glass and metalwork is to have a 3-car
garage (standard in a lot of places here) and partition that third bay,
insulate the hell out of it, and set up a metal/glass/wood group of
workbenches for both of us. Good ventilation, good heating/cooling and

good
dust collection for the wood. I have a suspicion we'll corner the market

in
small motors.

Craft Club onebigheartmama Beads 0 July 19th 03 03:33 AM
FS Aleenes Craft Club Magazine DMVTREK Beads 0 July 17th 03 07:06 PM