The mind of a sewer.

Old May 22nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default The mind of a sewer.

I wore my new hakama to kendo class last night, and my kendo sensei thought
it was just the ginchiest. Our "normal" uniform, however is a dark blue
hakama with a dark blue kimono. At lest pretty close to that.

My "normal" hakama is made from denim, that I made a few months ago, the
kind like you would make jeans from. My sensei's is a fairly heavy dark
blue material, but I don't think it is denim, and the other student's
hakamas are purchased ones that are black, but much lighter weight than
either mine or sensei's.

The keikogi, or kimono, that I made, is a lighter weight, but the same color
as my hakama. The rest of the class uses a keikogi that is made of dark
blue double weave material. It is much like a judo gi, if anyone is
familiar with that.

Well, anyway, our standard uniform is "dark", sort of like this:
http://www.e-bogu.com/5000_Hakama_Co...5000combo-.htm.

When I was changing into my new white hakama, though one of the other
stuents that was in the changing room at the time said something like "Oh,
that is a hakama, I could not figure out what it was at first, did you make
that one too," to which I replied some thing like "yes, of course." He
knew that I made my "standard," dark one as well.

He then said some thing like, why didn't you make it dark like our standard
uniform. I replied "what would be the point of that, I already have a
'dark' one."

A few weeks back, when I was changing into my standard, "dark", uniform,
another student discussed how much money I might have saved. I might have,
especially for a heavyweight, high-quality hakama like I made.

Well, I didn't make either uniform because I needed one, it would be much
easier and faster to simply purchase one:
http://www.e-bogu.com/Uniforms_Kendo...Sets_s/266.htm.

I didn't make one to save money, either, though I might have. The
heavyweight uniforms on the page I just referenced are over $100, with at
some of them probably over $200 when shipping is added in. I think that the
first one I made was probably about $60 ($20 for the pattern, $40 for the
material-4 yds * 10/yd), add in the price of the keikogi, and the price was
probably comparable to the lightweight uniform on the page cited.

The white uniform I made was probably about $30 (I already had the pattern,
$20 for the material -4 yds * 10/yd, but it turned out to be half off when I
got to the checkout stand, and about $10 for the quilt binding that I used
to make the stripes). The white unifoms on the page cited are almost $150,
perhaps more, when shipping is added in.

I made the first one, because the hakama it was a pattern I wanted to try,
not to save money or because I needed one. I made the second one because I
wanted to see how it would look if I used a different material.

Also, as I made the first one, I followed the instructions almost exactly as
written, in the order that they were written, but along the way, I thought
"I could do this this other way" or "It would make more sense to me if I did
this step before this step." In the second one, I made these changes.

After all this babbling, I guess my point is that a non-sewer will never
truly understand the mind and motivations of a sewer.

Brian Christiansen

Old May 23rd 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Brian's post brings back some funny memories of my dear little mother.
When someone said: Did you make that?
She heard: I bet it was pretty cheap and I have more important things
to do with my time.

When someone saw a landscape she had painted and said: Did you paint that?
She heard: I could get a better one at the junk dealer for $ 1.29 .

When someone said: You are so talented.
She heard: Why don't you make one for me while I have someone peel me
some grapes?

Brian is quite right. He concluded I guess my point is that a non-sewer
will never
truly understand the mind and motivations of a sewer.
There are some, Brian, who can not comprehend creativity. We can't kill
them all. We will try to treat them with compassion and not take offense at
their handicap.
Now. Please. Don't call us sewers. We know what's in the sewer.
Polly

Old May 23rd 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Why is it that when I see the word "sewer" -- I think of the nasty stuff
that goes down the drain....

Instead of the talented people who work with fabric and thread?

Am I the only one??

--
Kate in MI

Old May 23rd 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message

Now. Please. Don't call us sewers. We know what's in the sewer.

I guess when I originally posted this, that had not occurred to me, but I am
not what sure what word to use:

Sewist - that just has the feel of a made-up word to me.

Seamstress - perhaps most of the people on this list, but not me and perhaps
a few others on this list.

Seamster - sounds like I should be unloading freighters down at the docks.

Tailor, Fabric Artist - I certainly would not give myself either of those
titles.

Brian Christiansen

Old May 23rd 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

me too....I thought the post was going to be about someone having a dirty
mind! I've seen the word "sewist" used in place of sewer....but it just
seems a little....I don't know...contrived. And seamstress or tailor
usually doesn't fill the bill either. Sewing machine operator?? stitch
technician?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
. ..

Old May 23rd 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Fabric slinger?
thread wrangler?
Textile geek?
Stitcher?

Stichest sounds like a brand of stapler.

NightMist

"Kate G." wrote in message
[...]

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old May 23rd 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Get wordy. Use the whole phrase 'a person who sews'.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~Don't push the river.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 23rd 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I prefer seamster. (Maybe unloading freighters develops the same muscles as
wrangling big quilts.)
Roberta in D

Old May 23rd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

well... I thought the original post was a about a mind in the sewer (much
like one in the gutter) lol. So I am glad I am not the only one... I had to
read all the way to end to figure it had nothing to do with sewers (icky
pipes) and everything to do with sewers (people who sew) lol btw I love
the uniforms. I have three children involved in Martail arts myself. That
is very cool what you have created.

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old May 23rd 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't think you are the only one but when I see 'sewer' on a quilt
group I assume it is someone that sews. I don't have any problem
with that word but others seem to get stirred up about it.
Taria

Never mind Marie Dodge[_2_] Quilting 6 February 14th 08 08:28 PM
New Sewer Book Guidance please! Dannielle Sewing 10 December 13th 05 08:33 PM
help novice sewer DKiely33 Sewing 3 August 18th 04 05:28 PM
If I put my mind to it.... nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 5th 04 01:13 PM
a new sewer-help with curtain length shortening aces1 Sewing 1 August 9th 03 01:42 PM