Marking for quilting design

Old May 7th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Marking for quilting design

I think it's Miss Polly who has talked about using a fine netting to
trace a quilting design and then use washable markers to transfer that
to fabric. But I need a refresher to make sure I'm remembering right.
Please don't tell me to search. I'm in idiot mode.

Thanks so much to whoever is going to explain this all over again.

Oh, and am I correct that WASHABLE markers, like you give little kids,
will wash out of cotton? Have you tried it on white muslin?

Questions, I have questions. LOL

Sunny
Old May 7th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Oh, and am I correct that WASHABLE markers, like you give little kids,
will wash out of cotton? Have you tried it on white muslin?

yup, but definitely use Crayola, they really do washout! I wouldn't
leave it on too long though.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 7th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Sunny:

Yes you got it right. And as Anne said use Crayola washable markers,
they do wash out completely.

I would suggest to test out your ideas on a scrap of muslin first to
insure everything works before marking your quilt top.

I use the permanent markers called Pigma to mark the netting only.
They are made especially for fabric and are less likely to transfer
than other permanent markers out there.

Good luck.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old May 7th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

There are some details we have not tested. We don't know what Crayola
washable markers will do if touched by a hot iron, left in a vehicle in hot
weather or simply left on the quilt top for any length of time. For
goodness sake, please do test whatever you're going to do on scraps before
jumping in. And yes, from me too, good luck. Polly

Old May 7th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

From what I have learned from other machine quilting groups, not all Crayola
Washable colors come out well. Like red. I would stick to the blues as they
seem to have the best success.

Good luck with your project!
--
~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CA

"Jane Zoerb" wrote in message
Jane
Good luck with the quilt looking forward to pictures.
I'm learning so much from you all. Did not know about the Crayola washable
markers. Learned to quilt on my own so don't always know the rules or
tricks. This site has been so informative.

Old May 7th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I used them for a quilt maybe 8 years ago. It was scrappy and I used
different markers for different prints. I can remember having to work
to get some of the colors out but they did all wash out eventually.
I have no idea which ones came out better than others. I would test
before I used any on a quilt that was not going to be laundered a lot.
I probably would rinse with clear water first and then using whatever
laundry product you choose. I think there are big differences in what
our water has in it from location to location so what really works well
in one place might not in another. Test just to be sure. Biz and
oxyclean are my friends.
Taria

From what I have learned from other machine quilting groups, not all Crayola

Old May 7th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Thanks! And this whole "project" is an experiment. I'm making a fairly
large muslin sandwich to go practice on the long arm quilter down at
the LQS. I've helped a friend several times and I can do little
things. But so far I haven't tried to follow a marked design or do
much freehand drawing. Just swirls and ...... whatever. I'm using
white muslin and I will use deep blue thread. That way, if it works
out, I will have a whole cloth bluework quilt. Just pop some blue
checkerboard borders on. I'm going to make it organized so that it's
not just jumbles. I will post photos, even if it's not so hot. I'm
happy being a cautionary tale.

Sunny
btw, I would never, ever use a red marker. As any Mom knows, red is
the bane of all cleaning.

Old May 7th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

On May 7, 6:38*am, "Jane Zoerb" wrote:
Jane
Good luck with the quilt looking forward to pictures.
I'm learning so much from you all. Did not know about the Crayola washable
markers. Learned to quilt on my own so don't always know the rules or
tricks. This site has been so informative.

well it's probably against "the rules" and you really do need to get
Crayola, there is a brand that looks very similar and claims to be
washable, but they aren't anywhere near so good.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 7th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Just as an aside -- I know for sure and certain that Crayola washable
markers, in a variety of colors, will NOT be cleaned off antique ivory
piano keys. No way, no how, no substance. Real ivory. Over 100 years
old. Variety of colors. Yeppers, there were many tears cried that day.

Sunny