For the quilter who has everything

Old July 14th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT washer machine For the quilter who has everything

This machine uses hot water from the water heater but has the capability
to super heat the water hotter than that. When I use that cycle forget
about it. It goes on forever. WHen you need that though it is handy.
It really is a smart machine. I guess you could say it is like a smart
mouthed kid though, too smart. LOL

I am lucky here water is fairly soft but hard water takes a toll on
everything it touches. Water at our last house was a nightmare it was
so hard.

Taria

Roberta Zollner wrote:
My front loader uses cold water, which is then heated to the exact
temperature in the machine -hence the long cycle. But mostly I use a shorter
cycle (no pre-wash) -normal laundry just isn't that dirty. (No sports, no
mud wallowing, and I'm a very tidy eater :-) IMO it's an advantage not to
take hot water out of the heater.

Assuming all front loaders heat their own water, people in hard water areas
need to take special care. Use whatever de-calcifyer is on the market for
every load, and do a major de-scaling once or twice a year, just like the
coffee machine.
Roberta in D

Old July 15th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Interesting. Out here in OZ that would be a disadvantage.
We would often have gas or solar hot water which is heaps
cheaper (and enviro friendlier) that electric (the other
main alternative) hot water, so I think relatively few
people would have their machines heat the water.

My dishwasher uses hot water from my HW tank too.

And yes - in a drought area and with just me living in the
house I have a dishwasher! It runs no more than once a day
and is set to use only 5litres for a load, which is less
than I would use in a sink. And if you could see the number
of plates and coffee cups that can accumulate here on a busy
day . . . . . . lol
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old July 15th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:44:09 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

My front loader uses cold water, which is then heated to the exact
temperature in the machine -hence the long cycle. But mostly I use a shorter
cycle (no pre-wash) -normal laundry just isn't that dirty. (No sports, no
mud wallowing, and I'm a very tidy eater :-) IMO it's an advantage not to
take hot water out of the heater.

Assuming all front loaders heat their own water, people in hard water areas
need to take special care. Use whatever de-calcifyer is on the market for
every load, and do a major de-scaling once or twice a year, just like the
coffee machine.
Roberta in D

I've never seen a washing machine that heats it's own water.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 15th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy[_2_]

I've never seen a washing machine that heats it's own water.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

LOL i've never seen a washing machine that *doesn't* heat it's own
water g

Jessamy

Old July 15th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good point! Our heating system is a bit unusual -a heat exchange. Pumps
ground water through the coils, extracts heat, and stores it as warm water
in the tank. Costs about the same as an extra freezer, but better IMO than a
furnace in the house. We've thought about solar panels, but it's not cheap
to retrofit.
Roberta in D

Old July 16th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default For the quilter who has everything

I love my front loader. It cost a lot but it was worth it!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:40:13 -0400, "Boca Jan"

I love my front loader. I will NEVER purchase anything else.

Old July 18th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Jessamy wrote:
I've never seen a washing machine that heats it's own water.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

LOL i've never seen a washing machine that *doesn't* heat it's own
water g

Jessamy

Same here, or at least for over 20 yrs! I think my Gran had one. I
have an A rated machine and when we moved to France, left all our old
electric white goods in UK. We had to buy everything new, so went for at
least an A or AA or higher rated, that included the washing machine,
which is A rated and it heats the water from cold, does a quick wash (30
mins). I wash nearly everything on 30 degrees now with no problems on
results - except bedding and towels which I do hotter. The lowest rated
item that I bought was the oven which was rated B, but that was the
highest we could find for an oven. Strangely with the washing machine
the lower rated model (almost identical) cost about 60 euros more and
there wasn't even a promotion on!

The overall cost of the goods were no different from the lower rated
models, I don't like wasting energy, we are trying to keep our "carbon
footprint" down, but most of all why spend out more on an ordinary
lightbulb, when you can use a low energy equivalent and if you shop
around they aren't that expensive anymore. One day we want to build our
own eco house with solar heated water, solar produced electric, water
recycling etc. That's the new dream anyway.

Janner

France
Old July 18th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't think they actually give machines a rating like that here.
Higher end dish washers here have had booster type water heaters
for some years and at least some of the lower end ones also do now.

A lot of folks here have natural gas heated water (or sometimes
solar) so heating water with electric in a dish or clothes washer
not nearly as efficient and that is probably why electric heating
machine have not been as popular a notion.

Anyone remember Redi-killowatt? Back when I was a kid they ran ads
with him promoting electric use. What a crazy idea looking back.
What were they thinking?
Taria

Old July 19th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:04:09 -0500, Taria wrote
(in article t5pni.979$SM6.670@trnddc01):

I don't think they actually give machines a rating like that here.
Higher end dish washers here have had booster type water heaters
for some years and at least some of the lower end ones also do now.

A lot of folks here have natural gas heated water (or sometimes
solar) so heating water with electric in a dish or clothes washer
not nearly as efficient and that is probably why electric heating
machine have not been as popular a notion.

Anyone remember Redi-killowatt? Back when I was a kid they ran ads
with him promoting electric use. What a crazy idea looking back.
What were they thinking?
Taria

I think the closest we'd have hear is EnergyStar ratings.

Maureen

Old July 19th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

we used to have a washing machine for sale here to take camping or whatever.
a small tabletop machine that you put minimal amount of hot water, soap,
clothes in,
clamp the thing shut and turn the handle a few times.
the whole unit turned and the inside pressure from the hot water sealed in
was what washed the clothes. didnt take much turning to get them clean
either. no power and little water used to get the job done.
talk about star energy savings, lol.
i should of bought one just for fabric. it didnt hold much but would of been
much less tangle and fraying on FQs and other small pieces.
oh well, dont see it here anywhere now. shame cuz it was such a basic
concept and took up little room.
shrug,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

I'm a quilter justjoansetc Sewing 1 March 12th 06 12:11 AM
New quilter Dave and Miss Quilting 8 May 20th 05 03:47 PM
New quilter on the way! Kate Dicey Quilting 4 August 30th 04 02:04 AM
New Quilter from OZ Natalie and Aaron Leaver Quilting 17 December 9th 03 07:59 PM
you know you're a quilter when.... Musicmaker Quilting 21 September 29th 03 02:22 AM