For the quilter who has everything

Old July 12th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT washer machine For the quilter who has everything

Yep, there is a quick cycle but the long cycle is so it gets stuff
clean in the smaller amount of water. I do want clean. I can
also adjust spin but the reason it spins fast is to get the efficiency
for shorter dry cycles. The preprogrammed cycles do adjust the spin and
on many cycles I can tweak that also. I get it all I just don't like it.
This machine is really smart. It senses dirt, size of load and adjust
for that. It knows! Same with soap. (yep, I know about the water
softener) It somehow knows and adjust the cycles. It can add minutes
(or take away but that is rare) all through the cycle. It tells you
when it will end and then re-adjusts that all the way through. It has a
lot of options I just don't get along with them. Maybe my problem is I
just don't want a washing machine smarter than I am and I really don't
like change I guess.
I hate to say it but the new Janome 6600 that I 'had to have' has sat
here almost unused for the last month. Learning new isn't so fun. At
least for that I can take a class. Yesterday I finally called to
schedule that. : )
Taria

Debra wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:34:28 GMT, Taria
wrote:

I hate the long time the cycles take. Almost an hour for most.
The foaming can add hours and hours.

Yes, the cycles are longer, but that is so the little soap and water
in there can get throughout all the clothes to do the job properly.
What do you mean by foaming? Are you talking about excess suds
causing the machine to run longer? If so, how does it automatically
add more time to the cycle? Did you know that a little liquid fabric
softener will cut down suds in a wink? I keep some on hand just for
that purpose.

I take it that you don't have a "quick cycle" option that would give
you a shorter wash cycle to use on lightly soiled or small loads, or
even the ability to tell the machine light, medium, or heavy soil for
various timed loads like I do on my machine. I'm sorry to hear that.
I can also choose several levels of spin speed from zero to nearly
warp speed, but yours sounds like it spins at true warp speed if your
dryer isn't removing the wrinkles from the washing machine out so that
you have to iron everything after drying. I wish your machine had as
many options as mine because I think you would be a lot happier.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old July 12th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Taria-

I feel badly that you aren't absolutely thrilled with the 6600 and using it
like crazy... I LOVE mine! That extra throat space is AMAZING!!! I wish I
could sew- right now!!!- but the hip really isn't ready for any sewing
marathons- once I get started, I just can't stop. VBG I hope you will find
your comfort zone with it and have a blast! I'm glad you have scheduled the
classes... hoping that gets your 'creativity' flowing again.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

See my quilts at http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old July 12th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

It isn't that I don't love it is is more that I am hesitant about using
it. I have done some basic piecing and some buttonhole stitch applique
but it can do so much more. Just piecing seems almost wasteful on it!
I need to take the classes, learn all about it and be able to just sit
down and use it. I have really had fits and starts in my sewing since
last year when we moved. It gets better and then drags again. I'll
report back after the classes.
Taria

Old July 12th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Dear Grumpy,
Get a cold drink, take 2 fat quarters
& lie down for a while. g

*pat*pat* on the shoulder: It'll be okay. Those big ol' mean
machines won't hurt you, really, they won't.

;-

R/Sandy --please e' me your addy (I have the old one), I'll send ice
when I finally get back to the post office which is uphill
(slight incline) from the parking lot VBG; I can almost walk it

Old July 12th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Taria wrote:
I hate the long time the cycles take. Almost an hour for most.
The foaming can add hours and hours. I can't use more than 2 Tbsp.
soap (yes the 'he' kind) and I still can't work my favorite Biz out.

Foaming. Are you using the special low sudsing powder or liquid which is
made especially for front loaders? Is Biz made low sudsing, or is it
meant for top loaders. I use one which comes in little dissolvable
sachets (very pretty!) and they don't make suds, and there is no need to
use any other product with them unless there is something like a
horrible stain.

In UK almost everyone has front loaders and so it is difficult to get
the wrong powder/liquid, and there are so many to choose from -
Biological, Non-Bio, special for coloureds, special for wools, special
for blacks etc. in each make. Our liquid which I think is equiv. to Biz
is called Vanish, but that doesn't cause suds.

We only buy Bosch - Dishwasher was passed on to DSIL and is almost 25
years old. As Bosch is a European make (German) do they understand that
machines are mainly top loaders in the US and therefore the foaming
products are counted as the normal/usual ones? It may just be that they
are geared towards European/non foaming washing products, in which case
they wouldn't know Biz.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old July 12th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:26:44 GMT, Taria
wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you scheduled a class for the sewing machine. Wouldn't want
you to hate that. LOL

Yeah, I agree that change is sometimes hard to deal with. I think I
am more satisfied with mine because it works so much better than my
old machine. Nothing helps you like something new more than the new
being a big improvement over the old. But, my machine doesn't change
it's run time by itself during a cycle either, it just runs a pre-set
cycle time and ends. That would aggravate me no end if it changed
according to the machine whim.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 13th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Here the right laundry products are HE (high efficiency) for front
loaders. The Biz is not HE and I haven't figured out how to use it
without a fuss. Maybe there isn't a way. The part that kind of irked
me is that Biz nor Bosch was any help.
This particular washer has in addition to the book a printing on the
machine that says use 2/3 cup and the most I can use is 2 Tbs. This is a
huge difference. The kid at the bosch line laughed and said it was a
mistake. I had about 3 weeks of laundry, just moved and was fighting
this expensive machine (while following every direction in the book I
had just about memorized by that time)and the kid laughed. He was about
60 miles away and if I had time and knew his exact location I would have
driven down and beat him. LOL
We were looking into a Bosch water heater but decided to scrap the plan
cause their service here is so poor. Hopefully that will change with
time. I am just cranky about change and that hasn't helped. I tease
I was born 100 years late but I don't think I'd get along with a wash
board either!
Thanks for the ideas.
Taria

Old July 13th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Taria-

I don't use Biz, but I do use Boraxo because of our hard water. I just toss
the powder into the front loader before I shut the door and then use the
detergent and softener dispensers. But mine is a Kenmore so it may be
different??? I have found with the HE detergents (I use Gain) that I will
have some foam on the door when the cycle is finished if I use as much as
they say in the directions. My clothes hardly ever get dirty- just
un-fresh- so I really don't worry about heavy duty cleaning. The Boraxo is
more for the hard water than a cleaning booster. (I do not like computers,
VCRs, or anything else gadget-y..... except for my sewing machine! VBG)

Old July 13th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

LOL

Thanks Taria and I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

--
Cindy from MO

"Taria" wrote in message
I hate the long time the cycles take. Almost an hour for most.
The foaming can add hours and hours. I can't use more than 2 Tbsp.
soap (yes the 'he' kind) and I still can't work my favorite Biz out.
Bosch has not been helpful in support. They laughed about the amount of
soap even though they openly admitted the wrong amount is printed on the
machine itself. They never even heard of Biz. Biz folks won't even email
a response to a question. When the machine spins at top speed (to keep
dryer use down) the clothes all have creases that are hard to iron out.
The buzzers drive everyone bonkers. I did a lot of research but
nobody mentioned the length of cycle time. They do vary on models. When I
finally went out to buy there were almost none in stock anywhere
so I kind of got had. This brand wasn't my first choice.
We live in the Ca desert so water use is important. This machine is great
for that. It really is very kind and delicate to specialty kind
of stuff. WHen I have quilts and caps and oddball stuff to launder
I am a happy camper. I would get a front loader again just because of
the water but I would choose a different brand and I still probably
wouldn't like the long time of cycles. I gave up an old top loading
maytag that probably would have lasted another 10 or 20 years but it
went with the house we sold. I miss it. From everything I have read and
everyone I have talked to I think I am the only one who doesn't like
these things if that helps Cindy.
Rant over, you asked LOL
Taria

Cindy Schmidt wrote:

Problems with the front loader or what? Do tell cause I am in the market
for one.

Old July 14th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

My front loader uses cold water, which is then heated to the exact
temperature in the machine -hence the long cycle. But mostly I use a shorter
cycle (no pre-wash) -normal laundry just isn't that dirty. (No sports, no
mud wallowing, and I'm a very tidy eater :-) IMO it's an advantage not to
take hot water out of the heater.

Assuming all front loaders heat their own water, people in hard water areas
need to take special care. Use whatever de-calcifyer is on the market for
every load, and do a major de-scaling once or twice a year, just like the
coffee machine.
Roberta in D

I'm a quilter justjoansetc Sewing 1 March 12th 06 12:11 AM
New quilter Dave and Miss Quilting 8 May 20th 05 03:47 PM
New quilter on the way! Kate Dicey Quilting 4 August 30th 04 02:04 AM
New Quilter from OZ Natalie and Aaron Leaver Quilting 17 December 9th 03 07:59 PM
you know you're a quilter when.... Musicmaker Quilting 21 September 29th 03 02:22 AM