Can't sew and need help

Old December 5th 05, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Can't sew and need help

I am trying to sew on this little Singer tiny tailor machine, but can't seem
to get the bottom thread to cooperate. The bobbin is wound right, but it is
off set to the right of the needle. I don't know how to get the bottom
thread under the needle, and the instructions seem like something is
missing.
If anyone has used one of these machines....HELP.

TIA
Mike

Old December 5th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Thanks...I know this is an inexpensive machine and I bought it long ago for
an occassional hem or patch and got it to work then...I am looking at sewing
some patches on a Cub Scout uniform only and if I could get this to thread
right I could probably figure out how to do that. I am really not much into
sewing and it is unlikely I will go buy a machine, instead I will have the
patches sewn on elsewhere. It's just frustrating to not be able to get this
to work.
I appreciate your help though.
Mike

"IMS" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:04:57 GMT, "Michael Mitchell"
wrote:

I am trying to sew on this little Singer tiny tailor machine, but can't
seem
to get the bottom thread to cooperate. The bobbin is wound right, but it
is
off set to the right of the needle. I don't know how to get the bottom
thread under the needle, and the instructions seem like something is
missing.
If anyone has used one of these machines....HELP.

TIA
Mike

Mike, The Tiny Tailor machine is not suitable for general sewing work.
Many readers of the sewing newsgroups have complained about the quality
of the machine's stitching. If you Google for it you'll find opinions
on the machine, and complaints about the threading and tensions. It is
not a good machine to learn on, because it will cause problems and
frustrate you. They are made cheaply, and it shows in the quality of
the machine.

An older, used machine such as a vintage Singer, Kenmore or White would
work much better than a Tiny Tailor.

http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/sewing/buying.html

-Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old December 5th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Just a thought -- you can find perfectly good older sewing machines at
thrift stores for cheap -- I see them regularly for $10-50, usually
about $20. Just run it first and make sure it runs smoothly through all
cycles.

Old December 5th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Thanks...I know this is an inexpensive machine and I bought it long ago for
an occassional hem or patch and got it to work then...I am looking at sewing
some patches on a Cub Scout uniform only and if I could get this to thread
right I could probably figure out how to do that. I am really not much into
sewing and it is unlikely I will go buy a machine, instead I will have the
patches sewn on elsewhere. It's just frustrating to not be able to get this
to work.
I appreciate your help though.
Mike

Mike,
If cub scout patches are as tough as girl scout patches to sew, then
the tiny tailor may be a wash for this task. Those patches seem to have
some kind of plastic coating on the back of them that is truly nasty to
get through. A regular machine can do it but I'm not sure that the tiny
tailor could do the job even if you get it working. My niece has a
similar machine to the tiny tailor and I doubt that she can sew on her
patches with it.
I speak from experience both from the sewing machine angle and the
patches aspect. I have been sewing for many years and have owned
everything from an old Kenmore to a tol Viking. Any of them would be
able to sew on the patches. That said, I still pull out a hand sewing
needle and a good thimble when I need to sew on my two daughters'
patches. We have iron-on patches now but I have found some of those may
need a stitch here or there to keep them from peeling off.
I hope you find an answer that works for you.

Marilyn
Old December 5th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

"Michael Mitchell" wrote:

Thanks...I know this is an inexpensive machine and I bought it long ago for
an occassional hem or patch and got it to work then...I am looking at sewing
some patches on a Cub Scout uniform only and if I could get this to thread
right I could probably figure out how to do that. I am really not much into
sewing and it is unlikely I will go buy a machine, instead I will have the
patches sewn on elsewhere.

Use fabric glue or sew them on by hand. It's the only way. DS is a
Wolf, working on his Bear, and the Tiny Tailor will *not* be able to
go through those patches. I bend a needle every time I sew patches on
to his uniform by hand. The newer patches are plastic backed, and it
really takes some power to get through them. I've had some success
sewing on the larger sleeve patches using my Viking on slooowest speed
at full power, but that's impossible for the arrowheads and animal
patches. I've found it actually easier to sew them on by hand.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old December 5th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Jenn Ridley wrote:

really takes some power to get through them. I've had some success
sewing on the larger sleeve patches using my Viking on slooowest speed
at full power, but that's impossible for the arrowheads and animal
patches. I've found it actually easier to sew them on by hand.

I don't know about Cub Sprout patches, but I sewed my son's Tae Kwon Do
(sp?) patches on with my Singer 400a manually -- just spin the wheel
with one finger while carefully guiding the fabric with the other finger
-- and it was perfect.
Old December 5th 05, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

My preference for sewing on patches is to use a clear nylon thread in
the top with the bobbin thread matching the fabric. Use a medium zig
zag with a stitch length of about 2. Slowly go around the patch,
stopping with the needle down and repositioning as needed. The nylon
thread disappears almost completely in the patches with a satin stitch
border and they're not very noticeable in the other patches.

I really don't recommend the fusible patches. Kids grow so fast that
even if you get a Cub or Brownie uniform 2 sizes too big they'll still
find a way to grow out of it before they move to the next level!
Removing stitching isn't too hard, but removing the adhesive and then
reapplying them to the new uniform is really bad!!!

Pam

Old December 5th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Michael Mitchell wrote:

I am trying to sew on this little Singer tiny tailor machine, but can't seem
to get the bottom thread to cooperate. The bobbin is wound right, but it is
off set to the right of the needle. I don't know how to get the bottom
thread under the needle, and the instructions seem like something is
missing.
If anyone has used one of these machines....HELP.

TIA
Mike

Bin it. You are better using and old fashioned hand cranked needle and
thread. Honest!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 6th 05, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send
wrote:

Jenn Ridley wrote:

really takes some power to get through them. I've had some success
sewing on the larger sleeve patches using my Viking on slooowest speed
at full power, but that's impossible for the arrowheads and animal
patches. I've found it actually easier to sew them on by hand.

I don't know about Cub Sprout patches, but I sewed my son's Tae Kwon Do
(sp?) patches on with my Singer 400a manually -- just spin the wheel
with one finger while carefully guiding the fabric with the other finger
-- and it was perfect.

The problem is that the arrow points (and the achievement patches) are
so small (half inch by half inch or so) that they shift around under
the presser foot, and the animal patches go on the pocket. I've not
figured out how to get a sewing machine inside a pocket, and I don't
want to sew the pocket shut, even though it is only the bottom third
of an unused breast pocket.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old December 6th 05, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Jenn Ridley wrote:
The problem is that the arrow points (and the achievement patches) are
so small (half inch by half inch or so) that they shift around under
the presser foot, and the animal patches go on the pocket.

Baste the arrow points on with glue stick. Wonderful stuff, useful for all
sorts of things, and it washes out.

As far as the patches on the pocket go, the only way would be to remove the
pocket and sew it back on afterwards. Even I don't dislike hand-sewing that
much.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England