hug for Cher

Old May 10th 05, 07:31 AM
Cher

wonderful \Mirjam, \ I can hear a teet teet teet teet going on this morning,
this is thewarning call of one of my great tits, just gonna let the dogs
out...back in a mo...

Cheers....Cher
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Everybody ,, you should be here ,,, my window is open and the Morning
symphony of My garden birds is in FULL volume ,,,
Wild turtle in the lead now , Hoot- hoot hoot-hoot , little Sparrow
Tsif tsif tsif tsiiiiiiiiif, Hoot hoot , tsif ,,,, raven
kraaaaaakraaaaa, hoot hoot kraaaaaa, a Honey sucker phe phe phe
pheeeeee Hoot hoot tsif tsifffff, phe phe ,,, song thrush Phe-u
phe-u-u a Hoot hoot tsif tsif ,,, Everybody ,,, HAlleu JAH Morning is
here , we are busy to find our food ... Kraaa hoot Tsif Pheuuuu AAAAAA
mirjam ...

Old May 10th 05, 10:56 AM
Aud

"Shillelagh" skrev i melding

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Everybody ,, you should be here ,,, my window is open and the Morning
symphony of My garden birds is in FULL volume ,,,
Wild turtle in the lead now , Hoot- hoot hoot-hoot , little Sparrow
Tsif tsif tsif tsiiiiiiiiif, Hoot hoot , tsif ,,,, raven
kraaaaaakraaaaa, hoot hoot kraaaaaa, a Honey sucker phe phe phe
pheeeeee Hoot hoot tsif tsifffff, phe phe ,,, song thrush Phe-u
phe-u-u a Hoot hoot tsif tsif ,,, Everybody ,,, HAlleu JAH Morning is
here , we are busy to find our food ... Kraaa hoot Tsif Pheuuuu
AAAAAA
mirjam ...

Mirjam - you are amazing! I can just imagine those birds... and you
singing
with them ;)

Shelagh

.... and smell the lemontree and pommegranats, as you told me... I have
"seen them" and smelt them all the time after!
Early morning is the best part of the day!!!
AUD ;-))

Old May 10th 05, 01:43 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "Cher" wrote:

OMG I didn't think that you don't have Great Tits over there.....lol
here is the url to see an adult Great Tit,
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/g/greattit/index.asp

Hmm. Looks a bit like our Chickadees, but more brightly colored. We also
have a crested bird called a Tufted Titmouse. Even that inspires chuckles
at times. An artist friend of mine once did a cartoon with the caption,
"Titmice can spell the end of a starlet's career." Very silly.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old May 10th 05, 02:55 PM
Matthew Hollands

"Cher" wrote in message
Wow sounds lovely, we certainly are fortunate, and none of us like flies
of
anysort much, although I love the dragon fly when she comes to visit the
pond, I \shall\ have to put a netting over my\ pond.

We had a dragonfly come to visit our swimming pool a few times last summer,
while we were in it I might add. He didn't stay long, just stopped for a
quick look around and then he was off to the outside area, and then over the
fence and gone. They are neat looking.

I am definitely with Shelagh about the mosquitoes though. Matthew has
always had an allergic reaction to mosquito bites. I remember one year when
he was only six, it was the first week back to school and the mosquitoes had
been out in full force. Matthew had been bitten often and came up in huge
red welts on his face, his arms, the backs of his legs, and one of his ears
was swollen to twice it's size. When I went to the school with him that
morning I noticed a few teachers looking from hiim to me and back again, the
welts were so bad I could see how they must have thought it looked like
someone beat him with a cane or something. Thankfully he started scratching
them (a LOT), and also thankfully most of the teachers knew me well enough
to know that I would never allow anyone to beat my child. Poor little guy!

He still comes up in welts, but they don't look half as bad now that he's
not a little fellow anymore. When he was little someone told me about
Skin-so-Soft by Avon (a bath oil, for those who don't have Avon in their
country) working on keeping mosquitoes away. I tried it on Matthew and it
worked... he only got two bites while having it on him. Obviously something
in the stuff that the mosquitoes can't stand the smell of. Actually,
Matthew wasn't crazy about smelling like that while going to school either,
so often he would be gone before I could have the chance to get it on him.
He wears it more often now though... at the times the mosquitoes will be
around more... either that or he'll just stay in the house at the worst
times.

Gem

Old May 10th 05, 03:09 PM
Laura J

"Matthew Hollands" wrote in message

Oh speaking of geese... I heard the tail end of something on the news
today about some horrible guy who kicked a mother goose and her goslings
to death, because she hissed at him. Can you imagine? I was so furious,
he is very lucky that I was nowhere nearby or I would have totally flipped
out on him and been giving him a taste of his own medicine. I honestly
don't know how some people can be so cruel to animals. It just breaks my
heart.

*hugs*
Gem

Gem, where do you live that this story made it to you? This happened about
45 minutes south of Boston (very close to my MIL). It was all over the
news. I agree that it is terrible but it always surprises me when this kind
of story draws such a reaction when there are far more terrible things going
on in the world. They spent more time reporting this story on the Boston
news than they did the story of a 5 year old boy missing in a not-so-safe
part of the city. I am an animal lover as well (though I have to admit that
Canada geese aren't my favorite!) but I would hope the people putting
together the evening news would give a little more weight to how their
broadcast might help find that little boy, especially as it is too late to
do anything to help the geese.

LauraJ

Old May 10th 05, 03:09 PM
Matthew Hollands

"Helen Halla Fleischer" wrote in message

Hmm. Looks a bit like our Chickadees, but more brightly colored. We also

Yes, we have had Chickadees in our back yard too. Very cute!

have a crested bird called a Tufted Titmouse. Even that inspires chuckles
at times. An artist friend of mine once did a cartoon with the caption,
"Titmice can spell the end of a starlet's career." Very silly.

LOL That conjures up some funny images!

Gem

Old May 10th 05, 03:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've so enjoyed reading these posts about the different birds. I have
four tufted titmouse that come to the feeder in the winter, but they
are gone now. The only winter birds that are still here are two pairs
of cardinals, goldfinch and chickadees. I do have a mourning dove that
is sitting on her nest behind the light above our garage door and the
robins are in the pine tree.
Laura, I hadn't heard about the little five year old boy, I hope they
find him safe and sound. I did see the news story about the kid though.

In our village there is Collins Lake and the Canadian Geese love it
here. We have had over 500 at one time and they now have had to take
steps to see if they can move them along, but so far it hasn't worked.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 10th 05, 04:49 PM
Matthew Hollands

"Laura J" wrote in message news:vg3ge.28$PH3.9@trndny06...

Gem, where do you live that this story made it to you? This happened
about 45 minutes south of Boston (very close to my MIL). It was all over
the news. I agree that it is terrible but it always surprises me when
this kind

I am in Ontario Canada. I happened to have the TV set to come on to that
channel in the morning (6 AM) to get Matthew off to work in the city.

of story draws such a reaction when there are far more terrible things
going on in the world. They spent more time reporting this story on the
Boston news than they did the story of a 5 year old boy missing in a
not-so-safe part of the city. I am an animal lover as well (though I have
to admit that

I totally agree that a child missing is more important news to be reporting,
and honestly I only heard a couple of minutes at the end of the report about
the geese as I was in the kitchen for the most part getting the dogs fed and
put out for their morning jog around the yard. So I didn't hear the rest of
the news at all and definitely didn't hear about the child.... it may have
been reported before the TV came on, or while I was in the kitchen.

However I think cruelty to animals should also be reported so that people
who do like animals can keep their eyes and ears open for the sick twisted
people out there who find amusement in this sort of cruelty.

Canada geese aren't my favorite!) but I would hope the people putting
together the evening news would give a little more weight to how their
broadcast might help find that little boy, especially as it is too late to
do anything to help the geese.

I've never had a problem with Canada geese. They've never even hissed at
me. In fact, they have often taken bread straight out of my hand in a most
polite way. The few who don't come to me are a little nervous and even walk
quickly away if I approach to toss them some bread. While it may be too
late for that particular family of geese, the reporting of the abuse could
help to keep it from happening in future, or at the very least keep people's
eyes open for that sort of cruelty.

Gem

Old May 10th 05, 04:54 PM
Matthew Hollands

wrote in message
oups.com...
In our village there is Collins Lake and the Canadian Geese love it
here. We have had over 500 at one time and they now have had to take
steps to see if they can move them along, but so far it hasn't worked.

Nora, I found it amusing that a few (about 6 altogether) Canada Geese
actually stayed at the park in the city throughout the winter. There were
some days when it was very cold and nasty weather happening, and you could
see them high-tail it in their little flock to some other location... but
when there would be a break in the weather (even a slight break) you could
see them flying back toward the park again. Tough Canadian birds for the
tough Canadian winters. lol

Gem

Old May 10th 05, 05:05 PM
Laura J

[...]

I thought you were in Canada! That's why I was surprised that this story
made it up there. I agree with you that these types of stories should be
reported to hopefully prevent future abuse. I just disagree with the
sensationalistic way they get reported. Maybe it is just our news channels
here that are particularly terrible. Though right after the goose story
they did a great piece on a greyhound track which closed in Connecticut.
They are trying to place 1000 dogs in homes and the story showed tons of
people coming out to the shelters to adopt them. I'll be driving through CT
next weekend on the way to visit my parents and offered to pick a couple up
for them but they politely (or not so politely, on my father's part)
declined the offer (I'm sure I could have convinced my mother if I had
worked a little harder on her but my dad might have never spoken to me
again! LOL).

And for the record, they did find the missing boy so that is good news!

LauraJ