True Newbie..

Old January 23rd 04, 01:07 AM
CJ

Default True Newbie..

Hi All,
I've just started sewing again after 15 years. I've always been in love
with quilts. Is there any tips for a true beginner with no projects under
belt but lots of blocks.. :-) Is there a simple pattern that would inspire
me instead of frighten me when I'm trying to put it together? I bought a
quilting book and just started reading here and love all the information
I've found, looks like a great place to be...
Cj

--
Remove the Downto from the earth
and you'll reach me...

Old January 23rd 04, 02:16 AM
TerriLee In WA

Welcome CJ!! How about log cabin? There's tons of different ways to set
those blocks. Somewhere on the web there's a great page with a whole bunch
of diagrams. I can't find it right now.

NZL*? You out there? (NZL* is our queen of web links, and can find just
about anything.)

And welcome to all the other newcomers, too. My 'puter has been weird this
week, and my life hectic. Happy dances and prayers for those who need them,
too!
--
TerriLee in WA (state) USA

ink.net...

Old January 23rd 04, 06:00 AM
nzl*

heehee, thanks TerriLee.
welcome CJ, to the bestest guild in the world.
we got all levels of quilters here too.
ask any question and you'll find more than one way to do whatever you wanna
know bout. then just weed thru all those and find the one that suits you
best.
i'd start with something small so you get something nice quickly. its always
inspiring, lol. pot holder with an 8 inch block. cushion cover with a 12
inch (more common size) then add a border round it for a 16" cushion for the
couch or bed, again a common size.
a three or four block table runner, 12 inchers work great for this.
need a new apron? add a quilted block to the bib or a smaller block for a
pocket front.
then move into wall hangings, cot/crib/newborn baby size or lap quilts.
all these will show you lots of new skills you didnt know you have all in
the build up to a big quilt for 'your' bed. all the learning projects you
can keep or give away to someone. heck who doesnt love something you made
for them. ok, sorry i'm off track and prattling on again. they never stop
me, just let me wander at will here, lol. gotta love'em for it, eh.

now about those log cabins...
just posted that link bout two days ago, let me go find it again.
ah ha!!!
http://www.vcq.org/pieces_patches.htm
theres alink to both log cabins layouts and my very favourite
FLYiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing Geeeeeeeeeeeeeese
sorry bout the caps, i just get so exciting thinking bout all those little
honkers and how clever they are.
there is also a link on that page for quilters games. great for those guild
meetings, ice breakers at get togethers of quilters, uh uh, heck, just bout
anytime at all in my opinion, lol. try out some of these on the family see
how well ya got them trained, lol.

lots of places to go look for free blocks though.
theres over 700 free block designs with instructions at
http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
this is the most recent blocks, bookmark this as you'll want to check it
several times a week. shes prolific is marcia.

www.blockcentral.com
www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/
lots of blocks and other good info on this site.
http://www.members.tripod.com/~FVQG/block.htm
bom and archives from three yrs back, so do check thru those.

i could go on forever but those will keep you busy for a few days probably.
holler at us if ya want to find something specific, eh.
if i dont know it, i'll find it or someone else will know where to find it.
we're a wealth of quilting knowledge here, both on and offline.
so pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and make yourself comfortable.
dont be shy, tell us all about yourself...favourite colours, chocolate,
qis?, family? the usual stuff us nosey parkers need filling in on.
signing off from the 'land of the long white cloud' waaaaaaaay down in the
sunny warm south pacific.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"TerriLee In WA" wrote...

Old January 23rd 04, 08:15 AM
Patti

Hullo Cj, and welcome.

You didn't mention whether your blocks were all the same pattern, or
different ones?
However, the treatment can be similar.
If you have enough for a whole quilt:
you can simply put them together with sashing between them (a narrowish
strip which sort of frames each block, is made from a fabric which
'unites' the colours of the blocks.
If you don't have enough for a whole quilt, you can alternate them with
a square of plain fabric; I would use the same fabric for all the
alternate squares.
For both of these suggestions, you can add a little more size by adding
a border; or you can regard it as drawing the whole thing together,
rather than just increasing the size, (which is probably the more
artistic way to view it!).
Come back and ask if you get stuck, or need more ideas.
..
In article .net, CJ
writes
Hi All,
I've just started sewing again after 15 years. I've always been in love
with quilts. Is there any tips for a true beginner with no projects under
belt but lots of blocks.. :-) Is there a simple pattern that would inspire
me instead of frighten me when I'm trying to put it together? I bought a
quilting book and just started reading here and love all the information
I've found, looks like a great place to be...
Cj

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 23rd 04, 10:15 AM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome CJ!
What quilting book are you reading? How many blocks do you have? Same
pattern? Are they all the same size? If so, the absolute easiest way to
assemble them is to alternate with a plain square of fabric. Gives you some
nice quilting space too.
Roberta in D

Old January 23rd 04, 01:30 PM
Queen of Squishies

The best advice I can give you is - just stick with us and something will
soon inspire you! Welcome!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 24th 04, 07:26 PM
Dr. Quilter

what is usually reccomended is to start small (wall hanging, baby quilt)
and use squares or rectangles, shying away from more complicated shapes
like triangles, shapes that require inset seams such as hexagons, or
dare I say it, curves! until you feel confident and have mastered the
basic skills... get yourself A Quilters Complete Guide from Fons and
Porter... that was my first book and how I learnt to quilt..

CJ wrote:

Hi All,
I've just started sewing again after 15 years. I've always been in love
with quilts. Is there any tips for a true beginner with no projects under
belt but lots of blocks.. :-) Is there a simple pattern that would inspire
me instead of frighten me when I'm trying to put it together? I bought a
quilting book and just started reading here and love all the information
I've found, looks like a great place to be...
Cj

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old January 25th 04, 01:14 AM
Eli

CJ,
I watched a lot of Simply Quilts, then said "I can do that!" I began
with a log cabin baby quilt for my son and haven't stopped...

Gina in IL

Old January 25th 04, 11:30 AM
CJ

Thank you for your advice, I'll look for the book you mentioned. I picked
up JoAnn's Book of Quilting and was really amazed at all the information
that was in it. I learned quite a lot but a lot of it was a bit greek to
me. I'm sure when I get into it I'll understand it more. Thank you again
for your advice...

Old January 25th 04, 11:37 AM
CJ

I was just reading about a using different sizes for an awesome looking log
cabin. Maybe we'll try some shams first ;-] Simply Quilts is that on a PBS
or DYI?? I'll look for it... Thanks for the input.
I have another question. I have bought some blocks from ebay just to give
myself some quick practice and can't wait for them to get here. Has anybody
else done cheater blocks? Is it worth the time saved?

om...

Newbie Lampworkers starlia Beads 17 April 24th 04 01:28 PM
newbie needs help on simple question Beowulf Pottery 13 March 18th 04 10:54 PM
Newbie! - Need Quilting Fabric & Squares? It's ON Sale!! Contagious Cotton Quilting 2 December 15th 03 12:33 AM
newbie to the newsgroup Lucille Needlework 6 October 9th 03 02:50 AM
am a newbie and lookin for some books Jasmin Polymer Clay 0 September 6th 03 06:53 AM