Pot Holders & Hot Pads

Old August 25th 03, 11:05 PM
Glenn/Patty

Default Pot Holders & Hot Pads

I've never tried it with hot pads or pot holders but when I make rice bags I
put cinnamon, nutmeg, and some cloves in with the rice. When you heat it up
it kinda smells like an apple pie. : )

Patty in NWO

"Sherry Starr" wrote in message
I found some cute Snowmen fabric at Joann's last week. It has lots of
different snowmen on this panel. Each frame is pot holder size. I

thought
I would also make some hot pads. I would like to put some cinnamon or

other
fragrant spices in the hot pads. Have any of you ever done this, and if

so
what did you use? I have one that a friend of mine made one year, and it
still smells great when you put hot food on it. It must be at least 6

years
old. I can't ask her because she passed away this year.
Sherry Starr

Old August 26th 03, 01:05 AM
Donna in Idaho

Quite a few years ago, I made a bunch of hot pads. I used mulling spice in
them. Smelled really good for several years.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old August 26th 03, 07:10 AM
Judie Luisi

Sherry Starr" wrote in message
I found some cute Snowmen fabric at Joann's last week. It has lots of
different snowmen on this panel. Each frame is pot holder size. I

thought
I would also make some hot pads. I would like to put some cinnamon or

other
fragrant spices in the hot pads. Have any of you ever done this, and if

so
what did you use? I have one that a friend of mine made one year, and it
still smells great when you put hot food on it. It must be at least 6

years
old. I can't ask her because she passed away this year.
Sherry Starr

What sort of batting would you use to make some pot holders? This sounds
like a nice Christmas gift!!!

Thanks,

Judie

Old August 26th 03, 07:57 AM
Patti

A friend of mine made some of these with fabric printed with apples.
She used cinnamon. They were a great 'hit'.
If your question meant what did she use to put the spices in ie fabric,
I'm afraid I don't know, but I should think it was muslin.
..
In article dzv2b.258691$Ho3.34051@sccrnsc03, Sherry Starr
writes
I found some cute Snowmen fabric at Joann's last week. It has lots of
different snowmen on this panel. Each frame is pot holder size. I thought
I would also make some hot pads. I would like to put some cinnamon or other
fragrant spices in the hot pads. Have any of you ever done this, and if so
what did you use? I have one that a friend of mine made one year, and it
still smells great when you put hot food on it. It must be at least 6 years
old. I can't ask her because she passed away this year.
Sherry Starr

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 26th 03, 11:38 AM
Patti

Hullo Judie
When you are making pot holders and placemats etc, it is best to use
cotton batting rather than polyester. If you had some wool batting
scraps, that would be fine too. Polyester is not good for shielding
against heat.
..
In article , Judie Luisi
writes

Old August 26th 03, 04:46 PM
Gerrycam1

would also make some hot pads. I would like to put some cinnamon or other
fragrant spices in the hot pads. Have any of you ever done this, and if so
what did you use? I have one that a friend of mine made one year, and it
still smells great when you put hot food on it. It must be at least 6 years
old. I can't ask her because she passed away this year.
Sherry Starr

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

I put four layers of cotton batting-- mybe threee would do!
Gerry
Old August 26th 03, 04:49 PM
Susan Laity Price

I made potholders that had a flap on the back like an envelope. Inside
I put a removable bag with the crushed cinnamon sticks. The bag could
be removeable for washing. Thought that was a practical approach.

Susan

Old August 26th 03, 10:13 PM
Donna in Idaho

Warm and Natural has just come out with a new product called Insul-Bright -
it reflects either hot or cold back to its source. It is three layers - one
of polyester fibers, the next a reflective mylar, and another layer of
polyester. I'm in the process of making a portable ironing mat using the
Insul-Bright to carry to classes with me. The package says it's good for
pot holders, table pads, oven mitts, casserole covers, etc., etc.

For the ironing mat we used one layer of Warm & Natural and two layers of
the Insul-Bright. I'm also planning to make a little carrier for my
mini-iron using the Insul-Bright. One of the ladies who took the class (I
took the class at my Viking dealer), is going to make one of the little
carriers for a baby bottle.

The pkg even suggest using the Insul-Bright to make a stadium cushion. Wish
I would have had this stuff when our grandson was living with us and we were
going to this football games. The bleachers at his school are made from
cement - REALLY COLD to sit on in November!

NAYY - just think it's a neat product.

Old August 27th 03, 03:11 AM
Jmgreenfld

I really like this idea, Donna (of making portable ironing mats). It would be
a great gift for my quilting "sisters" for Christmas. What size do you make
the mats, and how do you finish them - with binding? Or do you "birth" them?
It would be great to include some ties on the end so that it could be rolled up
to stash in a tote!

-JoyceG in WA

Donna in Idaho had this to say:

Old August 27th 03, 04:10 AM
Donna in Idaho

We made our ironing mats approximatly 17" x 30". We used webbing for
handles and also put bias tape ties on each side so it wouldn't gap open
when you're carrying it to class. We bound it with extra wide double fold
bias tape. You could make your own binding, too. But, since I was getting
ready for a class and wasn't sure from the supply list how thick it would
be, I used bias tape (I prefer making my own binding). The instructions
said to use striped fabric for the inside of the mat (so you could line up
strips or whatever straight. However, I couldn't find one single piece of
striped fabric in my stash that the stripes were straight on grain. If I
would have tried to use any of them as a straight guide, whatever I was
ironing would have been really crooked.

Your idea of ties and rolling sounds just as good or better than the handles
we but on ours. I plan on making some of the little iron carriers for Xmas
presents for friends that use curling irons.