Enabling alert - especially for Alex

Old August 16th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alex Corvinus

Default Enabling alert - especially for Alex

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 08:08:14 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/5/10 10:13 AM, in article ,
"Chemiker" wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 08:08:020400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/title...6/1764780.html

Let me know what you think of it. I may have to add it to the library.

OK, the book arrived and I have taken some time to look at it.
First, it is *not* a book for embroidery beginners. The author
discusses, with a limited (but perhaps adequate for her purposes)
number of examples of Turkish embroidery and discusses them by motifs
and stitches used. FE: She shows examples of typical Turkish towels
from the 17th century to later work. There are limited references to
Turkish regional variation, as her material seems to be primarily from
Istanbul and Bursa, which is very near Istanbul. Neither North Turkey
(on the black sea) and eastern Turkey (around Erhac(h) Malatya) are
discussed in any real detail. Nor is the area about Izmir (former
Smyrna, on the Med). No mention of Adana in the South either.

Of some interest to advanced needleworkers are the (at least to me)
unique stitches used, and which she illustrates well. Some of their
couched fills are understandable in principle, but with the myriad
fill stitches listed in the Readers' Digest Book of Embroidery
Stitches, I am not sure the Ottoman stuff has any modern significance.
I just don't know. I must bow to those more knowledgeable than I.

For those interested in the historical aspects of embroidery, it is
rather cool to be able to compare the Ottoman stuff to what was
being done in Western Europe. There is no material showing how the
Ottoman techniques influenced anything in Europe, either by stitchery
techniques or by motifs.

Whether this is worth the cost depends on one's interest in embroidery
history, is the bottom line.

For the curious, here are a few stitches she illustrates.

The Atma stitch, a couching technique.

The Bukhara self-couching stitch.

The Ottoman Hemstitch

The Murver stitch, which must be pulled to work. (Must be done in a
frame).

The Musabak stitch, which must also be done in a frame.

The Rumanian self-couching diagonal stitch.

And the Turkish punch-stitch, which she admits she does not
understand, but offers a possible reference.

There are a few typical patterns that might allso be of interest.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Old August 16th 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/15/10 7:01 PM, in article ,
"Alex Corvinus" wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 08:08:14 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/5/10 10:13 AM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Hmm- still might need to have it. Thank you for such a great review.

Cheryl

Enabling alert of sorts lewmew Needlework 0 April 1st 08 08:40 PM
BAP -- ENABLING ALERT Karen C in California Needlework 57 March 29th 08 12:50 PM
Enabling alert Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 July 11th 07 08:27 PM
Enabling Alert Karen C - California Needlework 1 June 15th 06 05:57 AM
Enabling Alert Karen C - California Needlework 3 May 24th 06 04:06 PM