quilt books

Old October 28th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default quilt books

oh my goodness, Patti,
i think more than a few of us are waiting anxiously.
we surely dont want to jinx anything.
dum de doo'n in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Patti" wrote...
Just in case I jinx the whole process, can I wait until I
actually have the books here? I hope you don't mind,
Gerda, but the year has been fraught with downs and more
downs!!
Trying not to be stupid, but it gives me the shakes ...
... g

"Gerda" wrote...
OK.. I gather from this you are publishing a book?
Awesome!! Tell me more ?

Old October 28th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gerda

Of course, surely don't want to jinx anything!! Bet you are so excited you
are nearly unable to sleep!!

--
Gerda
Reading, UK

?

Old October 28th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Just keep 'ho-humming', Jeanne!
..
In message , nzlstar*
writes
oh my goodness, Patti,
i think more than a few of us are waiting anxiously.
we surely dont want to jinx anything.
dum de doo'n in the south pacific,
jeanne

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 28th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

oh, no, never a ho hum, that would just be plain rude.
please dont ever think i'd be 'ho hum' about your book.
goodness me, never ever.
i was dum de doo'n...pass'n the time the best i could til ya
get the books in your hot little mitts.
jeanne

"Patti" wrote...
Just keep 'ho-humming', Jeanne!

Old October 29th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

I don't seem to have a problem with books falling apart (at least not
quilting books).

I did have a binding (spiral, I think) put on my DJ book - this was on
recommendation from some DJ discussion group. But I did that straight
when I got it, so I don't know if it would have fallen apart otherwise.

I agree that respectful use should not make a book fall apart, but if it
is one I'm using a lot, then I might consider getting it bound
differently - it is easier to do while it is still in one piece, no?

I had one book at work (my own, from my undergrad days) fall apart. It
was getting ridiculous, and in the end I just got the new edition. Og
course, I still use the old one, even though it no longer travels :-)

Hanne in London

Taria wrote:
Don't do anything rash Debra. If it is just me and Elly
having problems that isn't really a pattern. That was
really the main reason I asked here. I was wondering if
lots of books are problematic. Donna's idea of having
the comb bindings put on them is worth doing. A good book
is worth a couple extra dollars.
Taria

Debra wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:22:59 +1300, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

sounds like the 'glue' then are using isnt working.
if all the C&T books have the same problem, ya ought email them about
it.
they should find a new glue source or they'll have you and others
just stop buying their books.
groggy still,
jeanne
ps, congrats Elly for getting the ng in OE now.

Since reading this thread I won't be buying books from either of the
two publishers mentioned. With all the various glues in the world
there is no reason a publisher should be selling defectively bound
books. Debra in VA
See my quilts at http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old October 29th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

On the other hand----there are more fingers. (Sorry, I just like that line.)
I have a friend who has the spine cut off of all her paperbound books and
then gets them punched and plastic ring binders put on so they lie flat when
open like some cookbooks. My experience says to reinforce the covers where
they will be punched or the books will come apart again. Also, cut a paper
pocket folder & have a page or 2 of it bound in to hold pattern sheets.

Jane in NE Ohio where we are having a clear but chilly day

--
Please note that we have been assigned a NEW email address and update your
records. The new email address is . Thank you.
"Elly D" wrote in message
AT LAST!!! Someone experiencing the same as me. I've had a few books
where that's happened to me. A couple of which were C&T pub.
One of the books I bought I sent straight back for a replacement but didnt
the replacement just do the same!
One of my favourite books and one I always recommend to beginners is the
book Rotary Magic by Nancy Srebro Johnson? (Sorry Nancy I can never
remember your exact name.)
I have put that into sleeves and into a binder. Every time I opened it a
new page fell out.
Really annoying...
Elly
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community

"Taria" wrote in message
Is anyone but me getting sick of buying quilt books that have crummy
binding and fall apart. $25 for a fall apart book seems wrong.
Recent ones are a C&T published one today and a Kansas City Star
book last month. It is dry here weather wise but this is ridiculous.
Am I the only one dealing with this?

Taria

Old October 29th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default quilt books falling apart

Howdy!

More feedback: I've never had it happen to any of my quilt books,
and I have several, newer & older, from C&T Publishing.
IF it happened I'd contact C&Tpub http://www.ctpub.com/ to report the
problem & ask what they would do/offer to fix it. Not reporting it
doesn't solve the problem, nor does not buying from that particular
company; they might not notice the difference in sales, & certainly
wouldn't know why.
In the big, wide world of book publishing there may be a case now
& then when the glue didn't hit the binding machine at the right time
(happens w/ paper bags & wrappers often enough). Wouldn't tar the
entire company w/ the same brush; sh#t happens. ;-)

R/Sandy

On 10/28/07 10:47 AM, in article 3a2Vi.9364$aJ3.1075@trnddc02, "Taria"
wrote:

YOu are right there. If nobody but me and elly are having problems
it didn't seem like an ongoing problem. Nobody else on the group
admitted to having any problems and I know there are a lot of books
bought by folks here. I was looking for feedback from other folks.
I think I'll start sending off letters to publishers. Authors should
know too. I buy a lot of my books online so it is tough to preview
quality.
Taria

Debra wrote:

A good book is bound right the first time. No one should have to pay
to re-bind a new $30 book before reading it.

It's not the first time I've heard of book binding glue problems and
won't be the last because it is happening at more publishing houses.
The last time I was in a book store 4 of the 20 or so books I picked
up were already losing pages. It's a problem caused by
greed----cheaper glue = more company profit. Unless the book company
has to pay for the defective binding in some form or another they
won't change to a better glue. I will avoid purchasing poorly bound
books whenever possible, and return any I do buy for a full refund.
Hopefully others will do the same because a drop in sales and rise in
refunding of money to customers is the only way to convince companies
to change.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at