There he goes again!

Old July 18th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default There he goes again!

Ah! I just wondered if you did wood-turning (on a lathe) as well as all
the other clever things you do with wood. It's quite reassuring to hear
that you do resort to buying ready-made as well! It certainly does look
beautiful.
We're all living on the competition assumption g
..
In message . com, John
writes
No I purchased it at Lowes. I had purchased a number of them in the
past to hang some curtains around our house and I liked the way they
look and I thought it would work for this hanging. The only thing I
had to do was join 2 shorter pieces, a 6' and a 4' to make a single
pole of a sufficent length (10') so that I could accommodate the 8'
quilt length plus the space for the mounting brackets. I drilled a
hole down the center of each end and glued a dowel in there which gave
a good strong joint so as to support the quilt. I hope that it will
lead to further adventures as there is a write up in the paper with
pictures coming either this week or next. No longer will I slave over
a hot sewing machine for nothing. My fame and fortune will undoubtedly
change. At least I know for sure that my fortune will change but it
probably will be for the lesser as I seem to keep buying all this
fabric.
I hope that it is true that he/she who dies with the most fabric
wins.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 19th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Congrats, John! It looks wonderful.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is a picture of the finished Library Quilt mounted onto the wall
in the local library. It is 4' x8' and is in the same thousand piece
pattern. This is the third in the series that I have done and I have
really enjoyed doing them but I am now ready to move on to the next
phase of my developement. We are getting a brass plaque made with the
pertainant information as to who/what/ and other information and it
should be mounted next to the quilt soon. The people at the Library
were so excited to have it,and they are getting the local paper to
come and photograph and do an article on it. Probably as much because
it was done by a man as anything. I hope they enjoy it as much as I
have gotten enjoyment out of having them placing my first comission on
display in my local town and having the community see it. The Library
is the hub of this community and gets a lot of foot traffic and is a
Jewel of the community.

Enjoy,

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635jmsceL

John

Old July 19th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Really lovely, John. The brick is a perfect background for it, and the
rod is really striking as well. You did a great job. Congratulations!

Patti in Seattle

Old July 19th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

It's true, but they haven't told us what the prize is!
Roberta in D

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
(clipped).

Old July 19th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Delightful distribution of the colors. John, I do hope
that in addition to the plaque, you have affixed a
permanent label somewhere on that masterpiece.
PAT IN VA

Old July 19th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

.
[...]

I used to do turning when we were in California but before we moved I
sold my lathe as I didn't know when I would be able to set it up and
it was an extra expense to store and then ship it here. I haven't
looked into getting another one yet, as the space within my shop is
taken up with a lot of other machinery and there is only so much space
available without becoming too crowded to work efficently and safely.
Maybe in the future if we move again I will get back into it. Yes I do
avail myself of commercialy available stuff it it makes sense and it
appeals to my style. That curtain rod did work for me so I jumped on
it and I quite like it. Like I said, I had already used it in the
house for a number of curtains.

John

Old July 19th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 18, 3:37 pm, Sunny wrote:
WOOT!!!!!!!!! You go guy!

John this is great. Beautiful work. I just know you are going to get
tons of requests for quilits. Make sure you charge what you are worth.

Sunny

You know, I have thought about that and I have no idea what the going
rate is. There are some Tourist shops that charge $800-$1200 for bed
sized quilts but I think they sell them to out of town buyers. The
local folks don't appear to have that much discretionary income for
that level of consumption. Maybe the idea of placement of quilts in
the shops would be a choice but you are selling wholesale at that
point and that is selling your time pretty cheaply. I used to face
that sort of quandry, when I was first starting out in woodworking and
it was an issue until I became better known and could command higher
prices. Fortunately, I am not in this to make money, so the economic
pressure to put food on the table is not there. That was not the case
with the woodworking, as that was how I put money in my pocket at the
time. I am fortunate to be able to just do what I want to do and if I
sell something then, great. If not, I will die with the most quilts
made, and therefore have won at that level. A win/win situation for
me, I think.
I will admit to waiting for the phone to ring, though. Hope does
spring eternal.

John

Old July 20th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie

On Jul 19, 7:02 am, John wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:30 pm, Taria wrote:

That looks terrific John. What a great job you did. You gonna give
us the details of batting and such or did I miss that . I remember
your were kicking around ideas with interfacing and such.
How nice to have a quilt like that displayed for the community to
enjoy.
SO what is the next phase entail?
Taria

John wrote:
[...]

After weighing the various opinions from all of you, I decided to go
with the medium weight Mountain Mist Polyester so as to limit the
weight of the quilt and yet still give it enough loft to show off the
small 1-1/2" finished squares. I think it worked out as to how I
envisioned it, without having to make a mistake by getting too fancy
with the interior batting. The next thing going is still a work in
progress as to design but I still need a couple (3) of large wall
hanging quilts of bed size for my house hall stairway. So, at least I
know where they will go even if I haven't finalized the design yet.

John

It's just too depressing really! Your work for a newish quilter is
too good -- it must be because of all the advice and support you get
from all of us. What else could it be? Raw talent? An arty mind?
Dedication? Attitude or aptitude? whatever, you have it....
Seriously, I love this one, the library is a lucky recipient.

Cheers
Bronwyn

Old July 20th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 20, 3:05 am, Bronnie wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:02 am, John wrote:

It's just too depressing really! Your work for a newish quilter is
too good -- it must be because of all the advice and support you get
from all of us. What else could it be? Raw talent? An arty mind?
Dedication? Attitude or aptitude? whatever, you have it....
Seriously, I love this one, the library is a lucky recipient.

Cheers
Bronwyn

While I don't discount the value of the input I have received from the
various sources here on this forum, I spent most of my work life in
the design and construction of various furniture pieces and other
articles of a singular nature. That along with a simultaneous
involvement in the interior remodeling business which I also ran for
the same time frame. I think that gave me a head start on the design
aspects of quilting. I also have sewn clothes for about 30 years on a
casual basis and that helped hone the assemblage skills somewhat. It
is like the singer who is called an overnight success, who states that
it only took him 20 years in the business to achieve it. I do think
that I am a fast learner. Probably because I tend to immerse myself
totally into any project that I undertake to the exclusion of anything
else. My wife calls it manic immersion. I call it dedication and
focus. I leave the opinions as to who is right to others. "Get-er-
done" is how they describe it here in rural Ohio.

John