not OT, business will most likely be a reality by the end of the year!!!

Old July 17th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Default not OT, business will most likely be a reality by the end of the year!!!

OK, y'all know a bit about the lawsuit we are in regarding the house.
Well, as most things like this do, it is taking far more in legal fees
than we had anticipated, though DH says he knew it would cost a lot,
even if we don't recoup any of it. With regards to the financial
issues developing because of this, DH announced that, more than
likely, I wouldn't be able to stay at home until 8/2009, when DD
starts kindergarten full-time, which had been the original plan. He
said he felt that I needed to start contributing to the famiy finances
ASAP and he would *really* like it if I used my sewing skills to do
so.

Ok, we knew this was coming and he has mentioned numerous times that
he wished I had more confidence in my sewing abilities. You all also
helped me come up with a name for my business and I already have
business cards and an email address. So.....all that remains is to go
through the tax stuff again (a dear friend is also 100% behind this
business idea and helped me with the basic tax stuff I need to know),
get a business license and a tax ID and I will be up and running. DH
said he would work on developing a website for me (website??!!??? I
was only thinking of local work!!!) and dear friend suggested taking
out an ad in some sewing/quilting magazines. Also suggested was
attending as many craft fairs as possible to get my name/business "out
there".

While I completely terrified, I think that, deep down, I'm actually
looking forward to this! I have made a list of several things that I
like making and will be doing some intensive whittling and such. I do
want to keep making the garden flags because they are quick and easy
and apparently, people really liked them. To do this, though, I need
to get certain information - school colors and mascots of the local
schools (thinking outside my immediate area where all 3 schools are
burgundy and white and are the cougars...lol). Also thinking that
school spirit items - stadium throws, fleece jackets, etc. are a good
place to start - the school rivalries around here are more intense
than when I was in high school. If I make some for the main high
schools, I should pretty much CMA with everyone and hopefully not
offend anybody. I can make some jacket prototypes and they can be
done by special order (I can test some personalization using my
EuroPro, though I think the letters might be too small....looks like I
might end up with an embroidery machine after all!!).

The second arm of this would be infant/toddler bedding - COMPLETE
sets....flat and fitted sheets, pillowcase, and quilt...which slides
right into making larger quilts with matching pillow shams........

of course, I wouldn't be me if I wasn't also considering apparel as
well....again, special order, with fittings required, etc. I will be
conferring with Kate more on that to get the ins and outs of what is
required (if she doesn't mind, that is).

So....what was a dream a year ago should be a reality by the end of
this year. LOTS of work for me to get taken care of, but if it ends
up working out, I will be able to stay home with my children and still
be helping out with the finances WHILE doing something I completely
love!!!

Thought I would share the potential good news after the bad news

Larisa

Old July 17th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You lost me when you said your DH 'announced' what you would or wouldn't
do. Finances need to be a thing that couples do together. You come
to agreements not declarations.

I wish you luck with your business endeavor with the suggestion that
you both sit down and work through your household finances together.
Money issues one of the top reasons for divorce. There are some really
good books out these days and several radio shows that help with this
stuff. Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey come to mind as 2 big names. YOur
church might be able to help with the Ramsey debt free classes.
Taria

Old July 17th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Some of the moms around here with small children take care of 2 or 3 other
children to help them with money issues. They usually do this for friends
or neighbors and it is done as friends and they do not have a city license.
You could check with your town to see how many you could look after before
you must meet state regulations. In my town it seems like the regular
nurseries stay full and it is hard for mom's with babies to find daycare.
HTH
Barbara in SC

"off kilter " wrote in
message oups.com...

Old July 17th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

How exciting! Don't panic about the website, it's the way to go. Most people
seem to be computer literate, and checking a website is a preferred way to
investigate what a business offers. Also seems to give it more legitimacy,
just like having business cards and letterhead.
Just don't forget to schedule some down time to recharge your batteries!
Makes me feel tired just thinking about it!
Roberta in D

"off kilter " schrieb im
Newsbeitrag oups.com...

Old July 17th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Wishing you all the best and nothing but success, both in your business
venture and that legal nastiness.
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

"off kilter " wrote in
message oups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Larisa, I'm definitely doing the happy dance for you!! Have confidence
and go on loving what you do. That will make you a success! It's
wonderful to see that good things do happen to good people.

Hugs,
Sunny

Old July 18th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Oh, we do work on finances together, and together we had planned that
I would be a SAHM until both children were in school full-time, at
which point, I would be working during their school hours so that they
never left an empty house or came home to an empty house. However,
since it was HIS investment that we had to close out to pay for all
the legal fees, he has a right to change his view of our finances. I
have been wanting to earn money with my sewing, but hadn't thought as
big as DH and our friend have been.

Finances are never truly an issue with us...he brings home the
paycheck, I pay the bills and we discuss what we have leftover and the
short-term and long-term goals that we have then figure out how long
it will actually take to reach those goals. If I see something I
want, I ask him if it's feasible, and he does the same with me...no
major impulse buys are allowed - at least 1 month to think those
things over.

It just came as a shock because I didn't think we had reached that
point yet....with his retirement savings and other investments, I
didn't see how closing one was all that big a deal, but apparently to
him, it was.

Anyway, will keep everyone posted as things progress

Larisa

Old July 19th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

On Jul 17, 6:07 pm, "off kilter "
wrote:
[...]

Well I say go for it and I wish you the best of luck!

Claudia

Turn your decorating dreams into reality alexandra vaughn Marketplace 0 February 8th 07 04:54 PM
Turn your decorating dreams into reality alexandra vaughn General Crafting 0 February 8th 07 04:51 PM
Wealth Online Now a Reality ! Javahut Glass 0 December 4th 06 04:04 AM
reality quilting Terbear Quilting 2 September 9th 05 10:35 PM
was Some OT, some not.now Politics Reality Show Sjpolyclay Beads 2 November 5th 04 08:42 PM