AD: Ebay and Justbeads auctions

Old November 22nd 04, 01:10 AM
Kalera Stratton

Even more annoying is being corrected for using "me" correctly.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
The one that gets me is "I" instead of "me". As in, "He brought it over to
show Ginger and I how it works". People who do this know better than to say
"He brought it over to show I".

Yes! Yes! HAW Kevin and I were just discussing this grammar gaffe yesterday,
and how it drives us batty.
~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi

Old November 22nd 04, 01:13 AM
Kalera Stratton

I have a friend who detests it when people combine "where" with "at". He
completely freaks out if you say "Where is it at?"

Technically, he's completely right, but it's still funny to do it just
to torment him. I get on his nerves by cutting in just as he's about to
correct someone, and insisting that the "is" should be left out of the
sentence.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Beadseeker wrote:
The one I detest is "I could have went" instead of "I could have gone." Grates
on my ears.

There used to be a TV commercial, I think it was for a handcream called
Porcelana, which was supposed to fade age spots. The final line was "and it
creams your hands beautiful besides." I felt like writing to the company every
time I heard it.
Patti

Old November 22nd 04, 01:22 AM
Kalera Stratton

That's actually an archaicism. Almost any time you find the "en" on the
end of a past-tense word it's a throwback to an earlier English dialect.
I don't remember everything I read, but I used to really be into English
etymology... it's a fascinating language.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Tinkster wrote:

One that really grates on me is "boughten", as in "John brought me a
gallon of milk, but I had already boughten one."

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm

Old November 22nd 04, 01:23 AM
Kandice Seeber

Exactly. I think I said something to someone privately a couple of times,
but there was nothing ever remotely interesting publicly. I think we knew
that if anyone said anything obvious, it would either fall on deaf ears or
cause a huge, nasty blowup. I personally knew nothing good could come from
being specific and direct. I continued to post general advice in hopes that
she would get it, but she never did as far as I know.

My experiences with her and with a few others led me to write my Ebay Tips
document that made the rounds on forums and eventually ended up on my
website.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Yes. Even though some of us suggested rather nicely and generally some

ways
to improve sales and bead quality. She didn't "get it".
Funny how most of us know who we are talking about without naming names.

*sniff* Not me, I'm too new to the group. I guess I will have to
Google,
but I'm stumped for keywords.

Don't bother. It was never a big, exciting blowup. Just a series of
little whiney posts that seemed to go on forever. There wouldn't be
a keyword, because it wasn't one thread, and no one ever commented
with a "grow up" post or anything like that.

You have a small child. Imagine a weekly whinge because he didn't
get an ice cream, when he thought he deserved ice cream more than
anyone else. Add a little bit of sour grapes because all the other
kids get ice cream, even though they aren't nearly as good as he is.
Throw in a little self-pity and stir, and you'll have it just about
right.

It _is_ funny that those of us who were here at the time time know
exactly who it might be, because as far as I know, we've never
discussed it at all. At least, no one has ever even hinted about it
to me.

Kathy N-V

Old November 22nd 04, 01:29 AM
Kalera Stratton

Well, now you know why her beads were $12... although she probably still
doesn't.

Some people are simply not interested in learning. In order to learn,
you first have to be able to recognize that you are not perfect and
don't know everything.

I mean, not like me, I'm TOTALLY perfect and have NOTHING to learn!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:55:42 -0500, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message ):

There used to be a lampworker here who always complained about her beads not
selling, and selling below what she expected. It really drove customers
away. It felt like a criticism of potential customers, which alienates
people.

There was a good reason that the beads didn't command high prices.
They weren't very good beads. I bought some, and they were
improperly annealed, if they were annealed at all (they broke when I
looked at them), and the designs were nothing special.

The person said she had been lampworking for years, but the beads
never showed change or improvement. I never saw any experiments with
color, shape or technique. Even the basic stuff I look for (clean of
bead release, smooth ends) wasn't there.

Sadly, the person I'm thinking of wasn't one to listen to suggestions
that might improve her work, which definitely would have improved her
sales. It was always someone else's fault: the auction site, other
beadmakers, the customers, anyone and everyone except herself.

The design of a web page or the convenience of a web site can
defintitely affect sales, but for me it always comes down to the same
thing: the beads. If they're beautiful beads, I'll buy them. I buy
lots from beginning beadmakers that show promise, and encourage them
to keep experimenting. I offer suggestions that would help them
increase their prices, because I want them to stay in business.

This week, while wasting time on eBay, I came across an obscenely
large set of nice looking lampworked beads with no bids on it. There
was no information on the listing that said how the beads were made
or if they were annealed. It had only a few moments before the
auction ended, so I decided to gamble the $12 and bid. Later, when I
paid the lampworker, I suggested that she put a note in her auctions
saying that her beads are annealed, as that would attract the more
savvy bead buyers.

I got a snarky note in response, essentially it said "Do you want me
to spend my time making beads or typing up auctions?"

Okay. That particular lampworker can now bite me - I won't buy from
her again. I was polite and held up my end of the deal, and I get
snapped at in return? No thank you. Happily, most of the people I
write to are glad for the feedback (especially something simple like
adding a line to a description), and I notice that their prices and
bids increase nicely.

Kathy N-V

Old November 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Kalera Stratton

And regardless of that, she already was a customer and could have been a
repeat customer, if the seller hadn't gone out of her way to alienate her!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
And this was after you bought her beads? Unbelievable. How rude.

No kidding.
Customer service at its finest.

No kidding. And how did she know you aren't a longtime gallery owner? Or
someone else who's in a position to not only know these things -- but to help a
career? What a maroon.
~~

Old November 22nd 04, 01:38 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

You're most welcome!

Who publishes Polymer Clay Cafe? Do they have a website? I never see it at
our local book stores. We did just buy Step by Step Jewelry featuring all
the clays, hubby says he's getting some great ideas from it.
--
Karleen Page
Vibrant Jewels: http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm
"E J Ralph" wrote in message
news
Thanks Karleen

A moomin was this creature from a kids puppet show they used to show
on TV here. I think the cartoon was from Finland or somewhere like
that. Moomins sort of looked like surprised hippos with no other
features than eyes. They were a bit odd really, but ever so loveable
;-) Just like me.

My subsription to Bead and Button expired now I come to think of it.
But I seem to remember less and less polymer clay. But, I heard they
were doing a clay-only mag too now (or gonna start one) so maybe they
are saving up projects for that?
Can't beat Polymer Cafe magazine for us clay-heads though really.

Emma

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:26:44 GMT, "Karleen/Vibrant Jewels"
wrote:

What is a moomin?

Love your aqua sea pendant! I'd bid but right now the budget is too

tight.

My hubby is a poly clay artist and we share your broken heart sentiments!

didn't see any poly clay in the latest Bead & Button... am hoping that's
just a coincidence! Love your pendant too by the way!

Old November 22nd 04, 01:41 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

My least favorite commercial kept saying "grow your business" or "grow your
portfolio"... your business can grow, and you can grow (in girth anyway),
but you can't "grow your business".

Old November 22nd 04, 01:50 AM
Tinkster

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:22:36 -0800, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

That's actually an archaicism. Almost any time you find the "en" on the
end of a past-tense word it's a throwback to an earlier English dialect.
I don't remember everything I read, but I used to really be into English
etymology... it's a fascinating language.

Possibly, regarding the adjective "boughten" (as in "boughten cake" as
opposed to one baked at home). But using "boughten" as a verb is just
wrong. :-) (as in "That is just like the cake I boughten the other
day.) One should say "bought", and leave it at that.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:50 AM
Kandice Seeber

ROFL!!! I had to say that out loud to get what you meant. I use "at"
gratuitously (?) all the time.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs