"Thread Heaven" & metallics

Old September 25th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default "Thread Heaven" & metallics

On Sep 20, 8:32 am, thistletoes wrote:
On Sep 20, 4:11 am, thistletoes wrote:

On Sep 20, 3:27 am, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:

Many years ago, the makers of Thread Heaven posted on rctn. I dont know
for how long our archives are available, but if anyone knows how to find
this exchange, it could be of interest. My main memory is that Thread
Heaven is completely safe to use; the Smithsonian uses it. HTH.

I'll see if I can bring it up within the archives. I have been amazed
at how some of those old group messages still come up, even out on the
web.

Deborah

Following up, I found quite a lot of conversations back to year 2000
as James suggested. However, one post (May 19 2000) by Roni Hennen
of Adam Beadworks caught my eye. She talked about life span of floss
being 5-25 years and that TH would help with drag. She said, in her
very long post, "Take a close look at the last few inches of one of
those 2 1/2 yard lengths of floss that we all like to use. All
tattered and frayed, a mere shadow of its former self!! Its already
gone through the first 75 of its 100 years. Thread Heaven greatly
reduces thread drag."

Frankly, I couldn't manage a piece of thread 90 " long (2 1/2 yards).
I would have it tangled around my toes, the cat and knots and loops
everywhere. The most I ever pull off is about 18. I hope Roni was
being facetious but I'm not sure. I have samplers that are beyond the
25 year mark and they look as good now as the day I stitched them, all
without the benefit of any floss amendment. Of course, they don't get
direct sun, I don't smoke and my house air is dry, not moist and
moldy. As for taming those metallics and bf, I will give it a try
someday when I get to a store that sells it since I see some of you
like it. Meantime, I'll try Karen's suggestion as it costs
nothing. :-)

Deborah

I'm intrigued by Karen's suggestion, too. I'll have to give it atry.
I've never used Thread Heaven, because it's hard to get here. I use
beeswax instead. You can buy it anywhere that carries sewing notions,
and it comes in a little plastic disk with slots. It works well to
tame metallics, and I've never had a problem with it damaging the
threads. The other thing I love it for is when I'm stitching using
waste canvas and I have to go through a layer of heavy fabric. It
coats the thread so that it doesn't start to wear and it helps the
thread slip through really easily, so that the project goes faster.
Hope that helps.

Louisa

Old September 25th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

wrote:
..........snipped..............
I've never used Thread Heaven, because it's hard to get here. I use
beeswax instead. You can buy it anywhere that carries sewing notions,
and it comes in a little plastic disk with slots. It works well to
tame metallics, and I've never had a problem with it damaging the
threads.....snipped........
Louisa

I used to use beeswax until someone pointed out that the stuff sticks
to your fibers (often even after being washed). It's stays a bit
"tacky" and attracts and holds minute bits of dust which forms a coating
on your floss! This isn't a problem with stuff like clothing and linens
that get laundered frequently and often in fairly hot water so that the
wax is eventually washed away. Even though we frame stuff, dust can
still work it's way under the glass and sticks to the fibers.
If you want to try Thread Heaven, just post here offering to do a
swap. Most all of us in the States are up for trading a little box of
TH for some sort of fun thing from wherever you happen to reside :-).
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

"Butterfly Dress" in "Beads Buttons and Lace/Romantic Style" both by Jennie Atkinson Roseagh Yarn 4 July 31st 07 10:00 AM
a *moebious* "thread" YarnWright Yarn 12 March 21st 07 12:01 PM
a *afghan-blanket-lapghan* "thread" YarnWright Yarn 14 March 20th 07 03:49 AM
OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"? Tricia Quilting 104 September 1st 06 10:28 PM
OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" ratherthan a "girl"? off kilter quilter Quilting 0 August 30th 06 02:33 AM