New here, and all the questions I have been saving up.

Old December 5th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kitty

Default New here, and all the questions I have been saving up.

Hi all,
My name is Kitty. I am 52, have a hubby, three daughters, two grand
daughters and two and a half grandsons.

I am a collector of crafts I guess. I dabble in just about everything
I can get my hands on.

I can knit and crochet as well as sew. I've knit sweaters and hats
and socks, but no gloves yet.
I love wool socks and have several pair of old fashioned hunting socks
that I reknit or darn whenever needed. needless to say they get
shorter each time. LOL

my grandma used to knit us the most serious mittens as kids, tight and
comfy. I loved them cause they blocked out the snow but the wind
could push through and keep me from getting to HOT.

I tried to knit my hubby a hat once. he wanted me to make him a
"shnookie" that was doubled so it would be warm. LOL he couldn't wear
it, it was so tight the double layer was to much. I don't know HOW to
knit loose.

I think it would be fun to knit wool, and maybe even to spin it, if I
could afford a spinning wheel. I'd like to knit fine thread though
and don't know if it is possible to get fine wool thread to make
regular socks not just hunting socks.

My girls each have a pashmina shawl, they got from a wedding.
wouldn't that be a treat to work up?

I guess I just would like to learn how to upgrade my skills s notch. I
doubt I would want to be able to knit 14 colors at once, but would like
to make my knitting a bit looser, a bit finer, and a bit more usable.
thannks, kitty

Old December 5th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Sheena

I don't know how it is with knitting, tried it but just wasn't that in to
it. But I have found with crochet, if I am having trouble with crocheting
the thread too tight, I go up a hook size or two.

ups.com...

Old December 5th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 4 Dec 2006 21:10:51 -0800, "Kitty"
wrote:
I tried to knit my hubby a hat once. he wanted me to make him a
"shnookie" that was doubled so it would be warm. LOL he couldn't wear
it, it was so tight the double layer was to much. I don't know HOW to
knit loose.

Use bigger needles.

I think it would be fun to knit wool, and maybe even to spin it,

It is.

if I
could afford a spinning wheel.

You don't need a wheel. Look up "drop spindling"

I'd like to knit fine thread though
and don't know if it is possible to get fine wool thread to make
regular socks not just hunting socks.

I use my handspun to knit my own socks all the time. 3-ply hard-spun
worsted-type yarn, fine enough for the finished yarn to pass through
the eye of a size 5 cotton darner. What's your question?

My girls each have a pashmina shawl, they got from a wedding.
wouldn't that be a treat to work up?

Technically PASHMINA is cashmere. The use of the word as a noun for
what is essentially a large scarf is one more example of how English
*******izes the rest of the world or genercizes (is that even a word?
sayeth the curmudgeon). So yes, cashmere is nice to work with. I
know very few people who are able to hand spin cashmere as finely as
is required for the scarves known as "pashmina"; such yarn is
typically mill-spun and mill-woven, then machine-finished. Knitting
with such fine yarn to make such a large project would drive me nuts,
although I might weave with it.

I guess I just would like to learn how to upgrade my skills s notch. I
doubt I would want to be able to knit 14 colors at once, but would like
to make my knitting a bit looser, a bit finer, and a bit more usable.
thannks, kitty

I've seen a few patterns that call for the use of three colors in a
single round, none that require 14. Entrelac doesn't count because
the knitter is only working with one color at any time.

Go to the library, check out some basic knitting books, practice,
practice.

Old December 5th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Kitty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,
My name is Kitty. I am 52, have a hubby, three daughters, two grand
daughters and two and a half grandsons.

Welcome Kitty! Stick around - you'll find all kinds of answers to questions
you didn't even know you had (laugh).

I'd like to knit fine thread though and don't know if it is possible to get

fine wool thread to make
regular socks not just hunting socks.

Yes it is - there are a few sock knitters here (I'm one of them) who usually
use "fingering" or "sock" weight yarn sold in 50 or 100 gr balls for socks.
The gauge is usually around 28-32 stitches on a 4" square, using 2.25 mm
needles. For most of my sock projects I use a yarn composed of 75%
superwash wool, 25% nylon. These socks can be thrown into the washer/dryer
without harm. The wool content keeps your feet toasty, the nylon keeps the
heels/toes from wearing through.

Shelagh

Old December 6th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
busymum

Hi Kitty, and welcome to the group. I'm also a tight knitter, so I go
up a needle size for ALL my knitting. You can get some really nice sock
wool, some with lovely patterns - looks like fairisle, but isn't. I use
that ALL the time, but have also made some socks for myself in a 5-ply
crepe - that is 5-ply for us here in New Zealand.
Charmaine

Old December 6th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Welcome, Kitty. I knit socks, and love the finer wool ones. The lod
fashioned hunting socks are great too, but for everyday use, I like the
thinner ones.
If you want to knit a bit looser, just try slightly larger needles.

Higs,
Katherine

Old December 6th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
WoolyGooly wrote:
"Kitty" wrote:
I tried to knit my hubby a hat once. he wanted me to make him a
"shnookie" that was doubled so it would be warm. LOL he couldn't wear
it, it was so tight the double layer was to much. I don't know HOW to
knit loose.

Use bigger needles.

Or more stitches around, and knit the inside first, to fit. Then knit
the outside on needles at least 2 sizes bigger, so it doesn't compress
the inside.

I'd like to knit fine thread though and don't know if it is possible
to get fine wool thread to make regular socks not just hunting socks.

I use my handspun to knit my own socks all the time. 3-ply hard-spun
worsted-type yarn, fine enough for the finished yarn to pass through
the eye of a size 5 cotton darner. What's your question?

There are some good tutorials on spinning on the net. Be sure to
look on the Google "more" features to find the weblog search.

I guess I just would like to learn how to upgrade my skills a notch.
I doubt I would want to be able to knit 14 colors at once, but would
like to make my knitting a bit looser, a bit finer, and a bit more
usable.

I've seen a few patterns that call for the use of three colors in a
single round, none that require 14. Entrelac doesn't count because
the knitter is only working with one color at any time.

I once made a sweater that had a lot of complex intarsia; in two
places there were 14 strands in a single row, but as you said,
no more than one strand was being used at a time.

Go to the library, check out some basic knitting books, practice,
practice.

If you want to work down to thin dress-sock gauges, I'd recommend
first knitting some plain, regular socks with superwash sock yarn.
It doesn't matter what size they come out - they'll fit somebody
somewhere, and you're doing it for the experience. Then swatch with
smaller needles. Lately, JoAnn's has been carrying a package of
very thin aluminum double point sock needles; I think size 1 is the
largest in the package. When you're using size 0 comfortably, get
some laceweight yarn and swatch with that, using smaller needles
until you get a swatch that is thin enough for you.

Oh, and you can stop and knit a hat or something else anytime.
Knitting isn't something you have to do! But it can be fun to
stretch your abilities even if the only visible result is a really
fine doll scarf.

=Tamar
Old December 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Kitty
welcome to the GOOD group ,,,

Kitty have you heard about swatching , excuse the question!!!!
before starting a new project take the intended thread and intended ,
several sizes of needles , and knit a swatch on at least 3 different
sizes of needles ,,,, close your eyes and FEEL each swap with your
fingers ,, chose the one you enjoy most ,, this will be your size
needle to use.
mirjam