"Proper Stitch" - Darlene O'Steen

Old September 27th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Beverly B

Default "Proper Stitch" - Darlene O'Steen

It has very clear diagrams, and
wonderful directions on ending and starting threads.

This is one thing that very few stitch diagrams address: starting and ending
threads. I am doing a bargello piece with crescent stitches and a diagonal
sheaf stitch and I am having a really hard time with anchoring the stitches.
especially the sheaf stitch which is done with slippery rayon.
Beverly B

Old September 27th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 9/27/06 9:16 AM, "Beverly B" wrote:

It has very clear diagrams, and
wonderful directions on ending and starting threads.

This is one thing that very few stitch diagrams address: starting and ending
threads. I am doing a bargello piece with crescent stitches and a diagonal
sheaf stitch and I am having a really hard time with anchoring the stitches.
especially the sheaf stitch which is done with slippery rayon.
Beverly B

A couple of suggestions - you could try a waste knot, or an away knot. With
the rayon - depending upon your ground - you could try a pin stitch
(basically go up & down over a thread then start your real stitch over
that.) On canvas the pin stitch just gets pulled down and hidden. I'm sure
Dianne can give a better description than I've written.

There are a couple of really nice stitch books with numbered diagram -
anything by Suzanne Howeren & Beth Robertson (Stitches for Effect, More
Stitches..., Even More Stitches,.. And there's a pocket version). IIRC most
of the instructions on the ANG stitch of the month site do have numbers so
you know which way to work - up at 1 (the odd numbers) down at 2 (the even
numbers).

Hope that helped. Rayon - sooooo much fun - good luck.

ellice

Old September 28th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rosemary Peeler

I love this book.

Rosemary in Melbourne, Australia

On 25 Sep 2006 15:52:31 -0700, "Rosanne" wrote:

Just to let everyone know that this book is being reprinted! It is due
out in the last part of November or the begining of December. I
pre-ordered mine from Stitches N Things. Can't wait to get it.
Rosanne

Old December 28th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kathy Tabb

"test