OT saving you some money

Old June 13th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT saving you some money

Do you know where leaves go? If you park your vehicle (car, truck, SUV,
tank, whatever) where leaves can fall and slide to the base of the
windshield, the leaves may be going on down to do big $s damage. It costs
about $300 to have them sucked out of the vehicle's air conditioning system.
It costs even more if they pile up down in the frame, stay damp and rot out
your door/fender well.
SO. Go out, raise your hood (do any of you know how to raise your
hood?), and see if you have a pile up that's just lurking to take money from
your stash savings.
We had this lesson renewed today when DD paid dearly to have her ac
fixed. DH, just curious, raised the hood on my 'just for fun' scruffy
little red truck, whose ac hadn't worked in a very long time. Sure enough.
Leaves, hundreds of them down in the vent system. Er, ummmm . . . just one
more. How long has it been since you washed the filter from the vent hood
over your stove? Just a little ray of sunshine tonight - Polly

Old June 13th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

thanks Polly. The mimosa tree is dropping a ton of 'stuff' over
the drive way. Bet that stuff is bad news for the car.
vent hood clean here. be sure to check the dryer vent too.
Are you getting rained on there?
Taria

Old June 13th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My insurance adjustor told me that last month when I took the car by for
inspection after our hailstorm. I cleaned mine out in the body shop
driveway! Of course, I forgot the second car; I'll do that this afternoon.
Thanks for the reminder.

As for the hail damage -- $3500 to repair my car; $11,000 claim to my
homeowners insurance for the roof; I am waiting for the roofing contractor
to schedule my new roof (I have composition shingles over wood shake so they
have to strip my roof down to the rafters and add plywood decking before
they can put on new shingles. I just hope they can to it before we get a
tropical storm here in Texas. My damage is relatively insignificant,
especially in comparison to the Katrina damage that Polly and Kate
experienced, but I have a whole new appreciation for their trials in
rebuilding/repairing.

Elizabeth in Spring, Texas

Old June 13th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Okay, Elizabeth, here's your bit of wisdom for the project. Before 'the
roofer cometh' get out your old sheets. If you don't have any, get out your
new sheets. Drape them over everything you can - beginning, of course, with
your SM. One of my friends had incredible damage done to her beloved Pfaff
because of what (?) fell from the ceiling when the roofers began dropping
100 pound packs of roofing on her house and the subsequent beating and
banging. Trust me. Polly

nk.net...

Old June 13th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you for the tip. I knew to expect things in the attic to get nasty --
and they are going to cover everything in my attics for me-- but I hadn't
thought of junk falling form the ceiling too.

Elizabeth
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
Okay, Elizabeth, here's your bit of wisdom for the project. Before 'the
roofer cometh' get out your old sheets. If you don't have any, get out
your new sheets. Drape them over everything you can - beginning, of
course, with your SM. One of my friends had incredible damage done to her
beloved Pfaff because of what (?) fell from the ceiling when the roofers
began dropping 100 pound packs of roofing on her house and the subsequent
beating and banging. Trust me. Polly

nk.net...

Old June 13th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well. Unless you vacuum and mop your ceilings a couple of times a day, you
don't even want to know how dusty/gritty/something that surface is. I'm
about to mop mine right now; right after I iron DH's socks. Polly

"elspeth" wrote

Old June 13th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

and you will iron you DH's socks right after you have made a quilt for
everyone on the NG right?

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 13th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And I bet you use "MisterClean" to mop your ceiling. Given your handle on
you e-mail I would have believed you. However, the ironing of the sock made
me think twice ;o). LOL

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Treasure your Mind, Cherish your Reason, Hold to your Purpose
Epictetus (52 c.e - 135 c.e.)

Old June 13th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

We did this hail damage/roof repair dance several years ago.
You have several months (usually) before your insurance "allowance"
expires, so if the roof isn't leaking or badly damaged you can
wait until *after* hurricane season (Hello, Florida; How's Alberto?).
However, if the rains ever come back to Texas... why wait? G
We had 2 layers of shingles, also, and the state forced the insurance
companies (in the mid-1990s) to pay for the tear off before adding
new roofing. This house had just been re-roofed before we bought it
and left our newly-roofed house in the other neighborhood.
My dad trained me to be a roofer when I was 12 yrs. old; watching the
crew roof these houses I realized I don't miss that work at all. g

Good luck, Elizabeth!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we park *gasp* both (1) Cruisers in the
garage, lesson learned after the big hail storms of 1991/2.
(I'm married to a car man g.)
My old Mercedes used to choke on the blooming wisteria and cedar elms
blowing across the driveway. Ick!

Ragmop/Sandy--quilting further inland from the coast ;-)

On 6/13/06 7:03 AM, in article
t, "elspeth"