Nail holes in hardwood floors?

Old March 21st 04, 10:15 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Nail holes in hardwood floors?

Ok... I started on one of the floors with the coffee stirrers. I read
somewhere that you should put two tiny indents at the end of each
board, so that the stain would darken them, and simulate nail holes.

However, I looked at my real hardwood floor, and it doesn't have them.
And the sheets of scale hardwood floor for dollhouses don't have them
either. I did see one product from england (veneer strips) that did
have it. But most don't seem to.

Does anyone know what the norm was during victorian times? Nail holes
or no nail holes?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 21st 04, 11:57 PM
havana bill & holly

Joists were laid approximately 3' apart & 6' floorboards nailed at each end
to the joists and midway. I use an awl to smulate the nailholes. I'm sure
that early floorboards were pegged because iron nails were expensive.
Construction techniques & materials have radically changed within the past
50 years, but the 70+ year old house we lived in in the late '70s had nails
in the ends of the floorboards, and it was a Sears "kit" house.
"Cathy Weeks" wrote

Old March 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
Cathy Weeks

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
Joists were laid approximately 3' apart & 6' floorboards nailed at each end
to the joists and midway. I use an awl to smulate the nailholes. I'm sure
that early floorboards were pegged because iron nails were expensive.
Construction techniques & materials have radically changed within the past
50 years, but the 70+ year old house we lived in in the late '70s had nails
in the ends of the floorboards, and it was a Sears "kit" house.

Hmmm...I've been staggering my "boards" so they wouldn't line up. I'm
guessing that's a more modern style.

Do you mean that there would be nails/pegs in regular rows? Ever 3
feet or so, basically along where the joists would be underneath?

Cathy Weeks
Old March 22nd 04, 05:40 AM
havana bill & holly

The "seams" of the board ends would alternate from row to row (not all line
up) but the nails would, to attach all the boards to all the joists. Really
well-to-do folks might have a floor of oak or maple laid over a subfloor of
pine boards, nowadays I think subfloors are more like plywood sheets. HTH

Old March 22nd 04, 06:58 AM
DaVal

Hi, if anyone is modelling an English house you will find that the joists
are in the region of 16" to 18" apart.
Dave Wade

[...]

---