Want to make red slip

Old November 28th 04, 03:01 AM
CNB

Ok I will. Thank all of you for your suggestions. I will try all of them. I
actually did end up making a slip out of some of the Brooklyn Red. It wasn't
as sandy as I thought it would be. I'll use that for now. I found a couple
recipes that I'm going to try out too.
Thanks again,
Crystal

Old November 28th 04, 05:12 PM
W_D_Great_Divider

Steve Mills wrote:
A technique we recommend to customers in the same dilemma is to dry out
some of your standard clay body, weigh it, make it into a slip, sieve
out the sand or grog, add whatever oxide or stain (roughly 10 percent
for starters) you wish to use as a colourant and presto a slip that
fits!!!
We also recommend this technique to those using a coarse body for
smoke/pit/whathaveyou firing, but who want a smooth surface for
burnishing.

Steve
Bath

At what stage do you apply the slip? Would RIO (Spanish) work for staining?

In article ,
CNB writes

That's just it. I don't think I want to buy the clay anymore since I don't
like throwing with it. I'm almost out of it too. I think it would be more
work to make moist clay into slip than to take a dry clay powder and make a
slip. It would be ok if I would only be using a small amount but I plan to
use it
to cover a lot of pieces. That clay is sandy so that would be a job to
sieve out all the
sand. Yuck. I think there must be a recipe that I can use to get
the slip. I thought of terra sig but decided that's not what I want to do. I
should have
mentioned that in my post. I feel that there is to much waste with terra
sig. Maybe
one day I will take a shot at that though.
)
Crystal

Old November 29th 04, 12:29 AM
Steve Mills

In article , W_D_Great_Divider
writes
Steve Mills wrote:
A technique we recommend to customers in the same dilemma is to dry out
some of your standard clay body, weigh it, make it into a slip, sieve
out the sand or grog, add whatever oxide or stain (roughly 10 percent
for starters) you wish to use as a colourant and presto a slip that
fits!!!
We also recommend this technique to those using a coarse body for
smoke/pit/whathaveyou firing, but who want a smooth surface for
burnishing.

Steve
Bath

At what stage do you apply the slip? Would RIO (Spanish) work for staining?

Leather (or cheese) hard.
and
Yes.
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old November 29th 04, 06:39 PM
CNB

That's funny. I had just heard of using car antifreeze not long ago. It was
used to make underglazes with Mason Stains and the person posting is said
that they called Mason Color Work's and that is the recipe they suggested.
I'm not sure what the reason if for using it. I wish I saved it but it just
seemed a little freaky to me. Although I don't know why I should worry. I
have other ingredients that I'm sure are less safe.
Crystal

Old December 1st 04, 03:35 AM
Tony

At what stage do you apply the slip? Would RIO (Spanish) work for
staining?

Although the word rio is Spanish for river (Rio Grande, Rio Rojo,) in this
case RIO is an acronym for Red Iron Oxide.
If you are firing in reduction, it can give nice varying colors of red but
be aware that in reduction it is also a flux. In oxidation, it is more
brownish to black and is less of a flux.

Tony