Idiots guide to polishing?

Old November 22nd 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

Default Idiots guide to polishing?

I'm a glass fuser, and about to pair that up with some PMC play. It's
been a loooong time since my metalsmithing class, and then we used
these industrial machines for polishing and the like. I was thinking
my Dremel would be a perfect inexpensive stand-in for those machines.
I had hoped to find An Idiots Guide to Polishing, Complete with Tool
Set online but have yet to do so. =-)

Anyone suggest the best book that would get me back up to speed, or a
web resource I've missed?

Amy
Old November 22nd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

lavachickie wrote:
I'm a glass fuser, and about to pair that up with some PMC play. It's
been a loooong time since my metalsmithing class, and then we used
these industrial machines for polishing and the like. I was thinking
my Dremel would be a perfect inexpensive stand-in for those machines.
I had hoped to find An Idiots Guide to Polishing, Complete with Tool
Set online but have yet to do so. =-)

Anyone suggest the best book that would get me back up to speed, or a
web resource I've missed?

Amy

Your dremel would be ok for say polishing the head of a drawing pin or
such like, but not much use for anythinmg else.
also idiots and polishing unfortunately dont mix. See below
There was a very good reason why your metalworking class had industrial
polishing machines.
Learners have a special ability to break tools.
As for learning all about this skill, a good place to start is ANY basic
guide on jewellery making.
The best place for such a book is whats called a library,
a bit old fashioned in this day of the net but the quickest place to get
the essential information youll need to prevent you hurting yourself.
or much better still is get on a jewellery making class and get the
instructor to cover this subject for you.
Mistakes with polishing engines can be horrendous.
easy to lose an eye, or tooth, or worse.
The taperd screw thread running @ say 1500 rpm if you get caught up in
it would be through your hand in seconds..
difficult to get out of.
You NEVER run up a polishing spindle WITHOUT a mop or felt bob on the
taper EVER.

Old November 25th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jman

On Nov 22, 1:17 am, lavachickie wrote:
I'm a glass fuser, and about to pair that up with some PMC play. It's
been a loooong time since my metalsmithing class, and then we used
these industrial machines for polishing and the like. I was thinking
my Dremel would be a perfect inexpensive stand-in for those machines.
I had hoped to find An Idiots Guide to Polishing, Complete with Tool
Set online but have yet to do so. =-)

Anyone suggest the best book that would get me back up to speed, or a
web resource I've missed?

Amy

Well Tater Ted has a few valid points but he's absolutely wrong about
the Dremel...

With some practice you can polish just about ANYTHING with a DREMEL.
It just takes longer...
But who's going to polish a freakin' sheet of Stainless Steel with a
DREMEL anyway ?

Dremel's are GREAT for polishing and getting into the tight places in
metal, folded glass, seams, etc.
Because you are also using PMC Clay you'll actually find the DREMEL
easier to work with than the
most industrial machines. The industrial or PRO' units are great for
any most any applications, but
for some smaller items (such as porous PMC CLAY) you just can't beat
the versatility of a DREMEL
and the 'arsenal' of attachments that are presently available.

Look around on the net and you'll find many places that show you how
to use a DREMEL to polish,
Cut, Saw, pierce, etc, etc.... Also, my experience has led me to
believe that the library is acutally
a really poor place to get information on polishing and the equipment
used for that purpose. It seems
to be REALLY, REALLY, outdated. Go to a good BOOK STORE or similar
and you'll find what you
need to get going. The other option is to actually 'go to' a
finishing warehouse and see how hand
polishing is actually done. You may even be able to trade a piece of
slumped glass for a quick
tutorial..."Who Knows" !!

Another thing you shouldn't discount is a variable speed grinder /
polisher. They can be had for about
$100.00 to $200.00 and work UNBELIEVABLY well. Just make sure you do
a little research and find
the proper attachments and meet or exceed the safety requirements and
you'll be surprised at what
you can turn out.

Good luck,

/CM
Old November 27th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

Another thing you shouldn't discount is a variable speed grinder /
polisher. They can be had for about
$100.00 to $200.00 and work UNBELIEVABLY well. Just make sure you do
a little research and find
the proper attachments and meet or exceed the safety requirements and
you'll be surprised at what
you can turn out.

Good luck,

/CM

What sort of variable speed grinder/polisher? The only ones I can think of
are the ones used to touch up welding joints, didn't think that they were
polishers too.

CR

Old November 28th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:17:56 -0800, "C Ryman"
discovered a keyboard and, for our
edification and amusement, submitted

What sort of variable speed grinder/polisher? The only ones I can think of
are the ones used to touch up welding joints, didn't think that they were
polishers too.

CR

Hopefully, the OP is talking about something like a Foredom...

Blessed be, for sure...
Old November 30th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Jman wrote:
[...]

All I have to add is that a 1/2hp 1500 rpm motor with a suitable taper
spindle on it will take a 1/2in dia felt bob as well as a 6in dia mop of
what ever type you might use.
A dremel will not.
As the enquirer is an absolute beginner by the sound of things a
Dremel is not the machine for (Amy?) her.
A general purpose polisher is the better bet.
After all polishing time ispart of the cost of manufacture.
Suggesting she uses a dremel for everything is not in her interest.
Old December 3rd 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

Thanks to all who responded, even those with attitude.

Well Tater Ted has a few valid points but he's absolutely wrong about
the Dremel...

Glad to hear that; given that the work I am planning will be small
(pendants, etc.) and infrequent it seems like the best solution for
me.

Also, my experience has led me to
believe that the library is acutally
a really poor place to get information on polishing and the equipment
used for that purpose. It seems
to be REALLY, REALLY, outdated.

Indeed... our local library seems especially so. (I was used to a A
HUGE library in the university town I was in until a few years ago.) I
did spend a little time at Borders on the floor perusing some
metalworking books... they had like THREE. I got the general gist and
took home the one that covered the most, because as I sat there
reading, that coupled with the experience I had previously had me
going, "oooh, and I could do this... and THIS... and... oooh I want to
try this." =-)

Another thing you shouldn't discount is a variable speed grinder /
polisher. They can be had for about
$100.00 to $200.00 and work UNBELIEVABLY well. Just make sure you do
a little research and find
the proper attachments and meet or exceed the safety requirements and
you'll be surprised at what
you can turn out.

I'm not familiar with this type of tool... example?

Thanks.

Amy
Old December 3rd 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

All I have to add is that a 1/2hp 1500 rpm motor with a suitable taper
spindle on it will take a 1/2in dia felt bob as well as a 6in dia mop of
what ever type you might use.
A dremel will not.
As the enquirer is an absolute beginner by the sound of things a
Dremel is not the machine for (Amy?) her.
A general purpose polisher is the better bet.
After all polishing time ispart of the cost of manufacture.
Suggesting she uses a dremel for everything is not in her interest.

What would be the challenges in using a Dremel, other than the small
contact area, thus taking more time? I've used a Dremel for many
projects and have the large variable speed unit. But the price point
of the suggested grinder/polisher might be doable.

Amy

Old December 3rd 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:18:56 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry lavachickie
wrote:

What would be the challenges in using a Dremel, other than the small
contact area, thus taking more time?

If what you are polishing is small areas at a time, or larger things with lots
of texture or fine details, then the dremel will be just fine. The differences
show up the most when you're trying to polish a larger smooth surface. larger
buffs can work much of the surface at the same time, and you have an easy time
of blending the polishing action from one area to another. this keeps the
surface smooth and even, removing ripples and irregularities. If you are trying
to polish such a surface with a dremel or small flex shaft tool, then because
you're working such small areas at a time, there's a tendancy to not work the
whole area evenly. In fact, the higher rotational speed of a dremel may even
increase the likelihood of the small buff actually digging in slightly (Remember
that buffing works by removing a little metal). So then, even if you started
with a surface that was properly prefinished, nicely emery finished, etc, your
final buffed surface can easily end up rippled and uneven. With the larger
buffs or felt laps one can use on a full size motor, you don't get that problem.
But as I said, if your items are not smooth even surfaces, but rather detailed
or textured, or more strongly curved lines, then this may not be an issue.
Dremels and flex shaft units are quite good at detailing and fine finishing of
small areas at a time. Doing this accuratly and well, of course, takes practice
and skill.

A couple "books" you might want to get are, first, Karen Christiansens "Getting
the most from your flex shaft". (I think that's the title) You can find links
to buy it on the Ganoksin.com web site. It details nicely most of the many
types of tools one can use in a flex shaft, and to a degree, how to use them.
Most of what you do with a flex shaft can be transferred, at least partially, to
use in a dremel tool. Secondly, get a few catalogs from major tools suppliers
like Gesswein, Rio Grande, Otte Frei, etc. Even if these aren't instruction
books, you find just studying the various products for sale, and their
descriptions, will give you lots of decent starting ideas. These are also good
sources for buying more books on jewelry making in general.

And remember, even if you can't find a book to detail everything you need,
between this group, and Ganoksin.com's Orchid mail list (the most active online
discussion group for jewelers and metal artists on the net), there are always
lots of folks willing to chime in with suggestions and tips and advice.

cheers

Peter Rowe
Old December 28th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

I just wanted to do a little "follow-up" here -- another thanks to all
who chimed in. I've been playing and polishing and learning A LOT.
Doing it all by hand has prepared me to know how/when to use polishing
tools with my Dremel, something I am going to do with my next batch of
babies. I've been working with Art Clay Silver slow dry/low fire and
it's amazingly versatile, I can see why so many are hooked. I can also
see the remaining attraction of the more traditional working methods.
Just doesn't work for my budget/time/space resources. Not to mention
skillset!

I'm just a twiddler, looking for ways to express my own creativity and
gift others, so my goals aren't world domination but just creating
items for myself and gifts for others. My highest aspiration, perhaps,
is a worthwhile reason to hang out at the farmer's market in my own
booth someday, but that's more for creativity, fun and community than
career. =-)

If anyone is interested, I was surprised to find that Fire Mountain
Gems has the best price on Art Clay Silver. A friend who gets her
items from Rio Grand was sure they were cheaper, but we did a side by
side comparison and for even one-off purchases, FMG had the best
price.

Amy

Needlepoint for Idiots? [email protected] Needlework 24 November 4th 06 12:30 PM
polishing revisited [email protected] Jewelry 3 April 1st 06 07:55 AM
Polishing Raane Jewelry 3 February 28th 04 04:16 PM
polishing my beads Beth Stubbs Polymer Clay 8 November 3rd 03 10:52 AM