Accidental curing?

Old October 14th 05, 03:08 AM
Polly S.

Default Accidental curing?

Have a question...

During the hurricane my workbench got the heaviest deluge that came
through the roof but workbench, tools, pasta machine etc were all
salvageable...

I am not sure about my blocks of clay though. They were closed up in a
large tackle box on a shelf under the workbench and stayed dry but the
house was at over 100 degrees for almost a week before I got the tackle
box out. It seems I remember reading somewhere that clay can begin to
cure at 90 degrees so... I am wondering if the clay will also be
salvageable. In all the confusion I left the tackle box at my daughter's
house and won't get it back for a few weeks to check it out for myself
and its making me nuts not knowing!!!

I did think to take my clay canes with me (along with all my beady
stuff)! They are ones made by real clay artists (Cheryl, Ilysa and
others) and are beautiful work. I am SO glad I did not lose them!!!

Any info or suggestions of how to salvage my clay, if it did begin to
cure, would be *greatly* appreciated.

--
Polly
Old October 14th 05, 03:45 PM
Greg Krynen

I live in Californias High desert region, temperatures here are often above
90 degrees F. The internal temperature in my house has been as high as 130
degrees when I forgot to crack windows, while I was gone. The clays I use
(Sculpey, Sculpey3, Premo, Fimo soft) have all been fine in these
conditions.

Sometimes my clay is even left in the sun directly (curtain not pulled and
box of clay left on couch) and I have noticed no major problems yet.

Greg Krynen
www.krynen.com - forums for jewlery, lapidary, poly clay, etc
www.PurpleDragonGifts.com - Jewelry, Art, Beads

Old October 17th 05, 04:31 PM
Polly S.

Greg Krynen wrote:
I live in Californias High desert region, temperatures here are often above
90 degrees F. The internal temperature in my house has been as high as 130
degrees when I forgot to crack windows, while I was gone. The clays I use
(Sculpey, Sculpey3, Premo, Fimo soft) have all been fine in these
conditions.

Sometimes my clay is even left in the sun directly (curtain not pulled and
box of clay left on couch) and I have noticed no major problems yet.

Thanks Greg... I've had a couple of emails saying about the same
thing!!! Yeah!

I may be taking a daytrip to retrieve my clay (and parrot and turtle!)
from my daughters house in a day or two. I am just glad to know thats it
likely the clay is fine. I don't have near enough time to 'play' as much
as I would like these days and have too many unfinished projects but
losing it all would have would have been just one more thing. Very
minor, I know, in the scope of the disaster locally but it looks like
it's one less little thing to worry about.

Thanks again!!!

--
Polly
--

AD Curing the winter blues with Gold Ruby Pink! Katy Beads 7 March 10th 05 08:01 PM
Healing, Curing and Photography Christina Peterson Beads 7 October 7th 04 09:20 PM
Curing wood George G Carving 4 April 9th 04 03:12 AM
Curing with an Expoxy ??? Rachel Polymer Clay 20 October 19th 03 02:14 PM