Hey you boro people!

Old October 6th 03, 05:20 AM
Kalera Stratton

Default Hey you boro people!

OK, so you have won me over! After years of resistance, I have started
to get curious about boro, and so... I'm gonna order some (and yes, eye
protection!) with my next Frantz order. My question is, do you have any
suggestions as far as brands go? Do you have any general preferences,
and are some easier for beginners? Do you have any tips that will help
me avoid newbie mistakes?

Many thanks!

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old October 6th 03, 06:33 AM
Karen_AZ

I've been messing with boro regularly for the last year, and I like both
Glass Alchemy and Northstar. I would say get samples of both and play. I'm
experimenting with Roger Paramore's parasilicate, too, and looooove the
colors, but some of them are a lot more touchy. My only warning would be to
set the GA crayon colors aside for a little while, as they tend to be more
boily than anything else, and REALLY want to be cased. Have fun!!!!

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old October 6th 03, 03:12 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article A87gb.7580$hp5.1056@fed1read04,
"Karen_AZ" wrote:

I've been messing with boro regularly for the last year, and I like both
Glass Alchemy and Northstar. I would say get samples of both and play. I'm
experimenting with Roger Paramore's parasilicate, too, and looooove the
colors, but some of them are a lot more touchy. My only warning would be to
set the GA crayon colors aside for a little while, as they tend to be more
boily than anything else, and REALLY want to be cased. Have fun!!!!

--
KarenK

Thanks, Karen!

--
-Kalera

---------

Old October 6th 03, 03:58 PM
Mary Ann

I agree with Karen. The sample sets are the way to go. As for which
company, there are colors from both that I really love so it's hard to
pick between the two. I do tend to use more Northstar colors than
Glass Alchemy, but it's probably because that is they type I started
with and I am a creature of habit.

Mary Ann
http://www.thebeads.com/

Old October 9th 03, 08:10 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
(Mary Ann) wrote:

I agree with Karen. The sample sets are the way to go. As for which
company, there are colors from both that I really love so it's hard to
pick between the two. I do tend to use more Northstar colors than
Glass Alchemy, but it's probably because that is they type I started
with and I am a creature of habit.

Mary Ann
http://www.thebeads.com/

Thank you!

I ended up ordering the Northstar shorts pack ($20, but the drawback is
that I don't know WHAT colors I'm playing with) from Frantz, and I made
my first boro bead tonight... It'll be interesting to see it in the
morning. I definitely need a second concentrator to work boro, though.

--
-Kalera

---------

Old October 9th 03, 02:14 PM
Tink

I got that pack of shorts from Frantz, too. Do your colors all look alike?
Mine do: They're either trans cobalt or trans green. Looking forward to
getting some labeled colors of GA to play with, that's for sure.

Let us know how the bead turns out!

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

Old October 9th 03, 04:39 PM
Tink

I'm really enjoying dealing with Wale. I'm placing a huge order with them
sometime in the next week... $7K+

So far, all the boro beads I've made look horrible. I hope it gets better.
LOL!

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
That's weird they were unlabeled. The shorts I got from Wale all had

labels
with the NS names & numbers, plus Wale's stocking numbers. I thought the
main labelling came from Northstar, too. Maybe they got lazy.