In the long run

Old October 20th 05, 06:29 PM
Polly Esther

Default In the long run

Butterfly, if you're going to give us these "uphill, both ways, through 3
feet of snow" tales, you just must get it right. You do not *pick* taters.
You dig 'em. You can pick cotton. =) Polly

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Whole lot---if it's rough to the touch it does NOT get used. My fingers
deserve better than that : )
Had enuf handling burlap bags growing up--they were great for pickin
taters ; )

Butterfly (Yes, I had clothes made from feed sacks but then it was the
'honor' of having a NEW dress not a hand-me-down. Think I would have worn
a burlap bag if it was NEW --and I am NOT making fun of anyone....I was #
3 of 3 girls and then the boys came and then more girls and then)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
There are two 'new to me' fabric manufacturers just joining my stash; one
is Westminster Fibers and the other is J. Wecker-Frisch. They were
ordered online because they were fun bubble prints. Both fabrics feel so
lovely it is hard to put them down. I'm wondering how the feel of fabric
relates to the eventual day-to-day wear and appearance. We'll concede
that any fabric that is poorly woven and coarse to the touch may not
improve through hard wear.
There aren't any heirlooms in progress here and no concern for winning
awards. My concern is making "loved by little ones" and "daddy helping
with the laundry" survival. I think what I'm asking is have you
concluded that the "unwashed" finish matters a whole lot, just a little
or what? Polly

Old October 20th 05, 10:59 PM
Butterfly

Not on the farm that we were PICKING them...they had a machine that did the
digging--then they let them 'dry out' overnight and next day, after school,
start picking them BY HAND as soon as you get a quick snack down and over to
the fields....$.10 per burlap BAG

""YOU can pick faster than your sister""...nevermind you can't MOVE the bag
to drag it as you pick 'em.....and you had to pick, carry to the bag,
unload, and RUN back to pick some more, and don't you DARE leave any
behind--the littlest ones were used in soup

Butterfly (most farmers didn't have potato picking machines until I after I
had graduated HS. Schools were closed for 2 weeks every fall so we all could
be out picking taters--so we started school in August--and then you picked
your own AFTER all the farmers had theirs in)

Old October 21st 05, 03:08 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Oh, gosh, I get to express my opinion twice in one email! Woo-hoo!

Fabric, yes, I will pay more for and more readily buy fabric that "feels"
good. Color, feel, design and price--I consider those four things in that
order. Whether I can use the fabric on a current project doesn't even enter
into the equation, LOL!

I much prefer having my quilts used, and I feel that a kid's quilt should go
from bed to living room floor to outdoors (for use as a tent) with
reasonable hope of survival. And Polly's point about "Dad helping with the
laundry" is a very good one. Good fabric (and I have gotten good fabric at
Wally World and TSWLTH as well as at quilt shops), good suitable batting,
good thread, and extra care sewing help a quilt survive. I have even mended
one of my quilts that a dog chewed, knowing that the quilt's owner really
loves it and that the mend would always be a reminder of her much-loved dog.
We both got a good laugh out of the incident.

Another thrill I got recently was a glimpse of what looked like one of my
quilts wrapped around a homeless person's bedroll. Some folks laugh at me
for giving a couple of quilts a year to the homeless shelter, but knowing
that one person valued the quilt more than he valued the drink he could have
bought by selling it means a lot to me. I make those quilts as sturdy as I
can, too, knowing that they might see a lot of soil and hard use.

Thanks, folks, for letting me air MNSHO!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"Cheryl" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
Well, I must admit I generally go on instinct. I have had some disasters
with what felt beautiful, and some real surprises with the survival of
quick sample pieces that converted to wash-every-week cat bedding. I am
not put off considering any fabric for effect, but generally prefer
cotton, medium/fine weave, good drape. I would have a hard time defining
exactly what to look for. I no longer consider myself obliged to follow
rules . . . . . LOL

I have used Westminster, but not yet tried JW-F.

Like you I make quilts for use, and survival is the issue, not
preservation. I agonise over fabric choices for "special" quilts, but once
I have identified the working stash I just cut away. The quilts are given
away as gifts (I usually can't bring myself to sell a quilt)and if I think
it is appropriate (eg. for a raffle prize) I might include a care sheet.

Polly, your post started me thinking on a related subject -

Other quilters I know are horrified and offended if they make a quilt and
it is not treasured and "preserved", but I would prefer to see my gifts
used. Or even used up. I have had quilts returned to me for repairs, and
I love seeing that they are used so much. I have one here now (for some
minor repairs) that I made for a single male friend, and I am sure that
his dog has been sleeping on one corner of it. However, since I know that
the dog is his closest companion, to me this simply means that his quilt
is in constant use. I will wash it, repair it, and return it to the
everyday use it has been getting. And if it wears out, I will make him
another one.

Probably the only time I have ever been "offended" by how one of my quilts
was treated was when I made a baby quilt for the daughter of a friend, and
she promptly packed it in tissue paper and put it in a cupboard to keep it
"safe". I didn't say anything at the time as she clearly appreciated the
gift, but I will not make anymore quilts for her. What is the point if
she simply puts them in a cupboard?

How do you "expect" or hope your quilts will be treated, or do you not
mind once it has left you? A similar subject to this came up a while ago,
and I found the responses most interesting.

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 21st 05, 08:01 AM
Cheryl

Thankyou for sharing. We obviously think the same way - at least about our
quilts!! LOL
--

"Carolyn McCarty" wrote in message
[...]

OT Four Seasons Singles Group 'N Me- very long but funny The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me Quilting 14 August 29th 03 01:19 AM
Hi, all! (long) Susanne Quilting 6 August 21st 03 01:04 PM
Long. Sewing blocks to each other Polly Esther Quilting 12 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM