batting suggestions?

Old November 9th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default batting suggestions?

When I made my mom's chemo quilt I wanted super soft, so I used Minkee
for the backing. That stuff is amazing... glorious! It's fairly
heavy/thick, so maybe flannel would be good used as a batting layer
just to stabilize the quilt a bit???

Who are the parents of this mystery baby? Can we expect a BIG
announcement from you, Taria? ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- wondering about silk or wool batting.
I've not used either one.

On Nov 7, 2:53*pm, "Taria" wrote:
What is your recommendation for the softest batting ever for a small
cuddly baby quilt?
Taria

Old November 10th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, no announcement from here. My ds is 'engaged' Ring, no date to be
married.
DD I have almost given up hope on. Heck, my kids don't even have any pets.

I actually don't know the parents. The deal is the wife of my nephew has a
new
niece on her side of the family.
At the baby shower they signed some flannel squares to be made into a quilt.
It is supposed
to be small and snugly. I don't see that any of the flannel was washed.
She didn't want
the squares to touch each other but didn't want anything between them. Oh,
it needs
satin binding too. I got a bag with the uneven squares, a half yard of
quilting cotton
and a probably too small piece of flannel backing. No satin, no batting. I
squared up
and sashed the squares and am going to just finish the darned thing and
request nobody
knows I helped. I would have chosen minkee. I have a piece here but I just
don't think
trying to explain would be worth the trouble. I thought soft batting might
help. I did
this so neice in law woman get a clue that there is some value to what we
quilters do. I probably have wasted my time but I tried. She has been very
appreciative
of the baby quilts I gave here babies though.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have a piece of the MM batting
Maureen
suggested so I am going to give that a go.

Taria, survived taking the 2 big golden girls in for shots today. Georgia
thinks an outing is
really neato, Ginger doesn't get out much and is afraid of
everything.
ps- how is your mama doing Leslie?

Old November 10th 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

The time I backed a quilt with Minkee, I think I got my smarty pants on and
refused to let the stuff ripple or stretch. Don't quite remember what I did
but I may have simply put cheap masking tape *outside* of the stitching line
so NOBODY went anywhere until I said they could. Polly

Old November 10th 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Nov 7, 2:53 pm, "Taria" wrote:

What is your recommendation for the softest batting ever for a small
cuddly baby quilt?
Taria- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of silk batting as well. I've not used it but when I
did have an opportunity to fondle it, it was absolutely divine. But
after hearing Taria's explanation of 'wants' by the recipients, I
don't think I'd spend that much on this project. It's quite pricey
and I'd be saving those $$ for a really special project.

Kim in NJ
Old November 10th 11, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default batting suggestions with help?

Occasionally I mention quilts needing to survive 'Daddy helps with laundry'.
This is long but let me share it with you. When we just had our firstborn,
Mr. Esther helped. Here's how. He put baby clothes, white towels and his
work clothes into the washer. Dry. Well, except for wet diapers. Then he
poured in a generous cup of bleach. Added a CUP of detergent and set the
washer for Hot. You don't even want to know the results.
Anyhow, I'm not so sure about doing a crib quilt with a silk
batting. It sounds so lovely but could it survive 'help'?

Old November 10th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks for asking, Taria. She has some 'spots' that have appeared on
her last scan and we are praying they are not mets- as in it's
spreading. The docs are taking a wait and see approach. At her age
getting aggressive with treatments would be really hard on her.
Prayers would be appreciated.

Back to one of my fave subjects: dogs! I have dear old blind Simon
with arthritic, dysplasia hips, goofy precious Hoover the Golden Boy
and newest one- Jezzie the 100 lb. puppy. I have them trained so I
can walk all three. Now, I'm 5'3" on a good day and The HairyButt
Gang ranges from 85 lbs. to 100+ lbs.. Simon walks closest to me on
my left. Then Hoover to Simon's left- Hoovie and I guide blind
Simon. He senses when we step down or start to turn and he feels safe
between us. Then ginormous Jezzie is on the outside to Hoovie's
left. All three know to line up in their place on my left and to
walk in the 'heel' position. And then we stroll down the road.

We get quite a few looks.... LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 10th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:02:57 -0600, Taria wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 7, 2:53 pm, "Taria" wrote:
What is your recommendation for the softest batting ever for a small
cuddly baby quilt?
Taria

Let me know what you think of the MM. I hate projects like that. People who
don't quilt just don't get how hard it can be.

Maureen

Old November 10th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT-gone to the dogs batting suggestions?

Keeping good and well thoughts and prayers for your mama, Leslie.

You all sound like a happy silly bunch on walks. Would be fun to see.
Georgia tends to just sit down by the end of the block so I don't walk
her much. Ginger is just, well Ginger. She is kind of silly and happy and
doesn’t go for rules. As dh says she is so sweet but dumb as a rock. : )
If she didn't have such a sweet attitude she would be a nightmare.
The back yard here is pretty large with all kinds of fun things to do
so we just hang out here mostly. So much fun the neighbor dogs
have busted out of their yards and into ours!
Taria

Old November 10th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

My mom had a similar story about a sweater she knitted. It was a sad
thing.
The day my mom died her washer did too. I swear she took it
with her she so disliked anyone messing with it. It was really a weird
thing.
I never have used silk batting and I doubt I'd use it for any baby
quilt other than something maybe heirloom quality. I'll need grandkids
for that. : )
Taria