Quilt Bible Cover

Old November 1st 11, 07:26 PM
Carlee Clove Carlee Clove is offline
Junior Member

Default Quilt Bible Cover

My nephew is getting baptized one month from today and I really want to successfully create a home sewn bible cover for him. This probably isn't too difficult but I still feel like such a beginner at sewing. So, I'm here for some help. I'm trying not to put too much stress on myself because if it ends up not working out then I will just have to buy one. I saw some bible covers at this site when I was running out of options for my niece but we will see what happens. I would like to try to make one also. Thanks for the advice!
Old November 1st 11, 07:27 PM
Carlee Clove Carlee Clove is offline
Junior Member

I forgot to mention that he is 8, so it should be age appropriate!
Old November 2nd 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

I saw some 'bible covers' (http://www.dicksonsgiftshop.com/bible-covers)
at this site when I was running out of options for my niece but we will
see what happens. I would like to try to make one also. Thanks for the
advice!

This: http://www.sewing.com/projects/uploa...book_cover.pdf looks
like some fairly detailed instructions.

Brian Christiansen
Old November 2nd 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 01-11-2011 19:26, Carlee Clove skrev:
My nephew is getting baptized one month from today and I really want to
successfully create a home sewn bible cover for him. This probably isn't
too difficult but I still feel like such a beginner at sewing. So, I'm
here for some help. I'm trying not to put too much stress on myself
because if it ends up not working out then I will just have to buy one.
I saw some 'bible covers' (http://www.dicksonsgiftshop.com/bible-covers)
at this site when I was running out of options for my niece but we will
see what happens. I would like to try to make one also. Thanks for the
advice!

Does it need to be what seems to be traditional with a zipper and
handles and all?

For a book cover, I like this method:
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/03/...ool-notebooks/

I've used that a few times for notebooks and for little guidebooks that
were about to take a beating at camp. Also made it easy for everyone to
identify the owner of the book :-)

Hanne in DK
Old November 2nd 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Part of the challenge will be to make the bible cover so that it doesn't
look girly or worse yet, like Great Aunt Prissy made it. So. Therefore.
Take a look at the fabric Footprints in the Sand by Makower. You can see it
at several places and here's one: (maybe) Polly
http://www.cottonboutique.com/cgi-bi...39&pid=1#m3839

Old November 2nd 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Here's a simple cover that only requires 2 seams:

Cut a fabric rectangle large enough for the outside of the book, front
and back cover (don't forget the width of the spine), plus 2 X inside
flaps, plus seam allowances. Note: depending on how thick your fabric
is, decide how you want to finish the edges of the flaps. bias
binding? simple turned hem? You could also cut the piece long enough
to fold the flap ends double. If this is your choice, *press this
fold* at both ends (wrong sides together) and make sure it's a really
sharp crease. You might want to top stitch along the crease. So now
you have a rectangle, both ends finished.

Cut a rectangle for the lining, same width as the other piece (= the
height of the book) and about a half-inch shorter than the outside
book measurement.

If you want a bookmark, you can use a piece of grosgrain ribbon.

Now layer your pieces:
Place the outside rectangle *right side up*. Fold the 2 flaps over
right sides together (it should now match the lengthwise outside book
measurement).
Center the bookmark and pin in place at one edge.
Place the lining*right side down*, long edges matching, and center it.
Pin as desired.

Finally, sew the 2 long edges, making sure you don't catch the
bookmark on the bottom edge. Don't sew the ends! Turn right side out,
turn the flaps into position and press. Make sure it fits the book. If
not, consider this your practice piece and whip out another.

Another note: the short ends of the lining piece are hidden but not
finished. If your lining is very ravelly, you might want to secure the
edges with Fraycheck or pinking shears.

Ideas for a Bible cover: Suede (or alcantara) for the outside, line
with silk. Embroider the owner's name on one of the inside flaps
before assembly. You wouldn't have to hem the flaps, maybe just a line
of stay stitching.
Roberta in D

Old November 3rd 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I have photos of one I made many years ago. There are no directions,
but it's basically a 'placemat' making process with two inserts
(stiffened with medium weight fusible interfacing) on the inside to
slide the book's covers into each side plus a piece of trim for a
bookmark- which is sewn at the top edge before binding the raw
edges. The front/back could be decorated with a pieced area, an
insert of fabric like I did or an applique design. A label or some
writing could be added to the insert to personalize it. You could add
something for ties or a flap with Velcro at the sides before binding,
too, if you wanted the cover to secure the book.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/575588519cmLPzl

Good luck with your project!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--