materials for knittng sheaths

Old July 5th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default materials for knittng sheaths

Earlier, I posted that I did not like ash for knitting sheaths. Now, I
have recarved the goose wing prototype that I made from an ax handle. While
the ash, particularly in cross grain, is NOT smooth enough for a yarn
contact material, the friction generated by the textured surface does a very
good job of holding the sheath motionless when tucked under a heavy leather
belt. This allows the use of looser or softer belting. I have decided that
I like the ash so much that I just cut a blank out of ash for a knitting
sheath dedicated to # 0 and #00 needles.

I have also started using brass tubing to line the holes that hold the
knitting needles. Knitting needles made of music wire fit snugly and
smoothly into standard brass tubing, also available at hardware stores. A
bit of hot glue in the bottom of the brass tube protects the points and
provides just a bit of adhesion to keep the needle from slipping out.
(This may not work in the long run, but the first 2 days are pretty good.)

I knit ~ 2000 stitches last night after the fireworks, that is worsted
weight yarn knit at 8 spi. I could never do that with cable needles, at
least not without stressing my wrists.

Aaron

Old July 5th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Good for you Aaron, working with wood is always trial and error.

Otto is making me a special plank bench on a angle for my loom. Since my
loom is very high I always stand weaving. This stops my back from going
out as well as no ache and pains in my shoulders. However since you can't
have it all, I find it becoming to hard on my knees, when depressing the
treadles. So we are going for a special weaving bench. The one on the
old German loom is made of hardwood, Beech as a matter of fact. Otto is
using yellow cedar, but that will do as well.

I have to look for music wire, never thought of it as knitting needles....??

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

New pattern methods and pattern making materials [email protected] Glass 1 April 15th 06 03:21 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM