Adblock Plus

Old February 25th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Default Adblock Plus

Roberta's complaint about the ads in Webshots prompted me to post this.
Adblock Plus was mentioned in Forbes magazine in an article about
"What if people don't see internet advertising?" It's a free download
for Thunderbird. I showed the article to DH and he installed it, so I
can't speak for how easy it was, but now I don't get those videos on
Webshots!
NAYY, etc.
Liz
Old February 25th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good idea -I'll mention it to DH, my private computer techie.
This must be a new Webshots ploy -never happened to me before today!
Roberta in D

Old February 25th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: Adblock Plus

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Good idea -I'll mention it to DH, my private computer techie.
This must be a new Webshots ploy -never happened to me before today!
Roberta in D

It may not be webshots.

Sometimes, Adware gets installed onto your computer, without your realizing
it. The adware programs manage to make pop-ups and ads that defy some
blockers.

I regularly use "Spybot search and destroy" to remove those programs.

Here is the homepage http://www.spybot.info/index2.html

It is very important (as your DH knows) to be sure that any pop-up blocker
or spyware remover you download is a legitimate program. Some of the worst
offenders are programs that actually CREATE popups, trying to get you to
purchase software to remove what they put in.

I personally have used Spybot search and destroy, downloaded from the
website I posted, and can vouch that it is legitimate.

Another way to vouchsafe downloaded pop-up blockers or spyware/virus removal
programs, is to go to a website like CNET or MajorGeeks to review the
program(s) you are thinking of, and to get a legitimate link.

I know it sounds all very suspicious, but it is soooo easy to grab a bad
link. My own DH (who should have known better) wanted to download Google
Earth (a free product of Google). He clicked on a link for 'free Google
earth download'. It was a link from an unscrupulous website (why he didn't
go straight to Google, I will never know). The free download website asked
for registration information... INCLUDING A CREDIT CARD. And yes, my DH
registered. We had a $10.95 charge on our AMEX through PAYPAL --- for a FREE
PROGRAM!

As annoyed as I was, it could have been so much worse!

Old February 25th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

L wrote:
[...]

Ad-Aware is another reliable spyware remover. You can download it at
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/. If you use Norton Internet Security,you
can get a free extension that will block flash ads. Thunderbird includes
a popup blocker.

Julia in MN