ribbing question

Old April 4th 05, 07:37 PM
toypup

Default ribbing question

On my Artisan JBL-245 with ribber, the ribbing on 20 needles and smallest
stitch dial setting is wider than the stockinette stitch at stitch dial 5.
I can make the stockinette stitch looser, but it won't look very nice -- too
loose. What solution do I have? I am new to this, so please explain with
details. Thx.

Old April 4th 05, 11:36 PM
Sue W

Hi,
This is a bit of a puzzle. Are you using 20 adjacent needles on each bed as
in full needle rib? If you are using 10 alternate needles on the main bed
and the same number staggered on the ribber as in 1 x 1 rib you should be
getting a nice stretchy rib at the lower stitch dial setting.
Sometimes a freshly knitted rib needs a lengthwise tug once you remove the
cast on comb.

Sue W in East Anglia, UK

.. .

Old April 5th 05, 06:42 AM
toypup

"Sue W" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,
This is a bit of a puzzle. Are you using 20 adjacent needles on each bed
as in full needle rib? If you are using 10 alternate needles on the main
bed and the same number staggered on the ribber as in 1 x 1 rib you should
be getting a nice stretchy rib at the lower stitch dial setting.
Sometimes a freshly knitted rib needs a lengthwise tug once you remove the
cast on comb.

Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Okay, I read my post and I don't think I'm being very clear, not even to
myself. I'm trying to knit a sweater on, let's say 20 needles. When I use
20 needles for the rib, it comes out wider than when I knit stockinette on
20 needles for the body. What should I do? Do I use fewer needles for the
rib? I thought I could just transfer the stitches from the ribber to the
main bed and continue making the rest of the sweater at a higher stitch dial
setting, but not if the rib is going to be wider than the body. I can't
make the rib any tighter. It's already on the lowest setting. I can't make
the body any wider, the stitches would look too loose. What to do?

Old April 5th 05, 04:10 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:42:18 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

Okay, I read my post and I don't think I'm being very clear, not even to
myself. I'm trying to knit a sweater on, let's say 20 needles. When I use
20 needles for the rib, it comes out wider than when I knit stockinette on
20 needles for the body. What should I do? Do I use fewer needles for the
rib? I thought I could just transfer the stitches from the ribber to the
main bed and continue making the rest of the sweater at a higher stitch dial
setting, but not if the rib is going to be wider than the body. I can't
make the rib any tighter. It's already on the lowest setting. I can't make
the body any wider, the stitches would look too loose. What to do?

This happens with some yarns for me as well. If the rib is too sloppy at
the tightest setting, try 2/2 rib instead. Check your manual for the set-up
and cast-on as there are a couple of extra steps, but they are well worth
the effort for the tidier welts that you will get.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old April 6th 05, 06:57 AM
toypup

"Helen Halla Fleischer" wrote in message
news
| On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:42:18 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

Okay, I read my post and I don't think I'm being very clear, not even to
myself. I'm trying to knit a sweater on, let's say 20 needles. When I
use
20 needles for the rib, it comes out wider than when I knit stockinette on
20 needles for the body. What should I do? Do I use fewer needles for
the
rib? I thought I could just transfer the stitches from the ribber to the
main bed and continue making the rest of the sweater at a higher stitch
dial
setting, but not if the rib is going to be wider than the body. I can't
make the rib any tighter. It's already on the lowest setting. I can't
make
the body any wider, the stitches would look too loose. What to do?

This happens with some yarns for me as well. If the rib is too sloppy at
the tightest setting, try 2/2 rib instead. Check your manual for the
set-up
and cast-on as there are a couple of extra steps, but they are well worth
the effort for the tidier welts that you will get.

Thank you. I tried it and the rib is not so wide when it's 2/2. Looks like
that will work.

A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Polar Fleece Ribbing Joy Hardie Sewing 7 November 15th 03 05:55 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM