Question about count

Old April 19th 04, 05:48 PM
Amberinauburn

Default Question about count

I have a question about Aida cloth. I bought a small kit to do while I acted as
an election judge back in March. It was on 10 count Aida. It had an I Love the
USA theme. I loved it; it was easy on my eyes and very easy to do. Now this
question has come up. When I went back to a project on 14 count. I hated it. I
couldn't seem to see the holes in the fabric or the places to stitch. I will
admit my 52-year-old eyes are getting bad. And yes I've been to the eye doctor
and she has given me bi-focals. I hate them but they help although not enough
to help with stitching. My question is this. If I stitch on 10 count Aida is
everyone going to think I'm crazy? I can always switch the fabric in a kit over
to 10 count and use 3 strands instead of 2. What other modifications will I
have to make?
Amber in Illinois

Old April 19th 04, 06:09 PM
Rhiannon

Other than needing a larger piece of fabric and larger frame or
finishing supplies, I think you have it. Don't worry about what others
think--a non-stitcher won't even know the difference unless two pieces
on different counts are side-by-side.

If you still want to use 14 count, here are some ideas. Have you tried
14 ct Aida by a different company? Have you tried washing it before
use? Are some colors easier for you to "see" than others? How about
stitching over two threads on a 28 count even weave (which will give you
the same finished size as 14 count Aida)? There are also even weave
fabrics with counts of 22, 24, 25, or 26 stitches per inch so, if
stitched over two threads, that would give you something to try that is
a size between 10 ct and 14 ct Aida. There is also 11 ct Aida.

--
Brenda
"Sometimes I'd sit and gaze for days through sleepless dreams all alone

Old April 19th 04, 07:19 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Great suggestion. Also: It is true that "for many" near vision gets
better as we age if we are myopic to begin with. That is, if we're
nearsited and need glasses to see far away. So, taking OFF your glasses
might give you a LOT better vision. This is what I do.

Also, you need more light as your eyes age. LOTS more. So that one
lightbulb just won't cut it, anymore. This usually starts happening in
your mid 40's and is readily apparent at 52. I'm watching my husband go
through this and he's just struggling so with a refusal to admit his
eyes aren't what they used to be. He gets so angry. I sit there and
tell him: Turn on the brighter light and take off your glasses! I've
just accepted it. He doesn't want to "let go", yet.

I'm not saying taking off your glasses will work for you, but it does
for many that don't realize it will be better than their glasses. So,
it's worth a try if you suffer from myopia. And it definitely will help
to add more light. It's gotten to the point that on sunny days I stitch
my best. Other days . . . well, the fineness just isn't there anymore,
but I don't notice until the sun comes out. :-) There *is* some
satisfaction in being blindly unaware. :-)

Dianne

Old April 19th 04, 07:26 PM
Meredith

My psychology professor was just talking about this the other day in
class. I'd never really internalized that the world is darker for older
people. Random fact: purple lights work well for illuminating road
signs. who knew?

Meredith

Old April 19th 04, 07:55 PM
Boohoo1971

If I stitch on 10 count Aida is
everyone going to think I'm crazy? I can always switch the fabric in a kit over
BRBR

You stitch because you enjoy it. If someone is impolite enough to suggest
something else, smile sweetly and say "why" then before she catches her breath,
change the subject.

If you ever want to try 14 ct again, I have a suggestion...following my own
advice "why"? I wear bi-focals also and use a clip on magnifying glasses.
They are in the upper part of the bi-focals, so I look over the clip ons to see
the TV, through them to see stitching, and below them (in the lower part of the
bi-focals) to see the chart. The next time you go to your LNS if you want to
do something other than 10 count, try some clip-ons. Boo
Old April 19th 04, 08:48 PM
F.James Cripwell

Amberinauburn ) writes:
I have a question about Aida cloth. I bought a small kit to do while I acted as
an election judge back in March. It was on 10 count Aida. It had an I Love the
USA theme. I loved it; it was easy on my eyes and very easy to do. Now this
question has come up. When I went back to a project on 14 count. I hated it. I
couldn't seem to see the holes in the fabric or the places to stitch. I will
admit my 52-year-old eyes are getting bad. And yes I've been to the eye doctor
and she has given me bi-focals. I hate them but they help although not enough
to help with stitching. My question is this. If I stitch on 10 count Aida is
everyone going to think I'm crazy? I can always switch the fabric in a kit over
to 10 count and use 3 strands instead of 2. What other modifications will I
have to make?
Amber in Illinois

As scientist, I have theories about most things in needlework. For
seeing holes in aida, there needs to be a big contrast between what colour
the hole seems to be, and what colour the canvas is. Generally speaking,
on light canvas, holes are darker than the canvas. On black canvas, the holes
are almost the same colour as the canvas, and this is why stitching on
black is so difficult for many of us. Take a look at different coloured
canvases in 14 count aida, and see if one of the colours is such that, for
you, the holes are much more of a different shade than the canvas.
And as others have said before me, dont take any notice of what
"everyone" thinks.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old April 19th 04, 10:27 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I didn't realize just "how dark" that world was until I broke my nose
last winter. Thought I had 16-year old eyes. Relying on memory and the
glimmer of light from a stairwell window.

Walked smack dab into a wall. Full bore. Hated hot flashes to begin
with. Now, my nose is so painful during them. I went back on hormones.
No more throbbing nose 20 times a day.

No longer is my house totally dark at night. Interesting about the
purple lights! Have not heard about this.
Dianne

Old April 19th 04, 11:33 PM
Alison

Amber - if you want to keep stitching on 10 count Aida, go for it!
You're right, you'll probably want 3 (or maybe even 4) strands of
floss and your finished pieces will be bigger than the ones on 14
count. But if you're happy that's what matters! Myself, I have a
good strong lamp over my left shoulder, and lately I've started
wearing reading glasses for stitching. I wear bifocals all the time
but the stitching area (ok, reading area) is too small for me to
stitch comfortably. I have several pairs of inexpensive glasses
ranging from 1.50 magnification to 2.25, and wear different ones
depending on what I'm working on.

Alison
Old April 19th 04, 11:57 PM
Joan Erickson

Meredith wrote:

Random fact: purple lights work well for illuminating road
signs. who knew?

I wonder if purple lights would be the same thing as "black" lights?
The light from those bulbs always looked purple to me.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)