OT Prescription Cheerios?

Old May 14th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Prescription Cheerios?

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Popular..._05122009.html

Yeah.
Right.

I am starting to think that unless something is made entirely of
chemicals that have been extensively tested on kittens, and found to
cause no less than 18 different health problems in at least 50% of the
population, that the government will find _something_ wrong with it
somewhere along the line.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old May 14th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh good grief. Someone at the top of the FDA needs to direct their focus to
more important things - such as whether foods contain melamine or rat
poison. Wonder why they haven't noticed that Quaker Oats makes the same
cholesterol lowering claim? Polly

Old May 14th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

My guess would be it has something to do with campaign contributions
to somebody at some point or lack there of. You want to mess things
up put some arm of the govt. in the middle of it. I guess more
regulations printed on the side of cereal boxes would mean different
reading material. I just had a thought. If Cheerios are a prescription
will they be on the formulary? Will walmart sell us a months worth for
$4 ? I really like the honey nut cheerios. They probably have mostly
sugar and little honey. The govt. wanst to tax sugar products. Wonder
how that would all work out. This is all pretty wacky.
Taria

Old May 14th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_2_]

I don't think that's the point here. The point is that by saying it lowers
cholesterol et cetera, the FDA is saying "this product WHICH DOES NOT HAVE
TO BE TESTED, AS YOU CALL IT A FOOD is being actually MARKETED AS A MEDICAL
TREATMENT."

Bottom line is you can't have it both ways: if you want to claim your
product (whether Cheerios or Betty's Framizams or whatever) has medical
benefits, you have to submit it to testing by the FDA as a medication. If
you claim it's exempt because it's a food or a supplement or what have you,
you cannot then claim it has medical benefits. Because those claims then
stand untested and unproven by anyone.

--pig

Old May 14th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Don't see my earlier response appear so I'll try to repeat.
The FDA truly needs more guidance at the top. They should be focused on
what foods make it to market that contain melamine or rat poison or who
knows what. I don't have a problem with Cheerios and also Quaker Oats whose
home company is located in Chicago claiming cholesterol lowering ability.
Kinda straining at gnats methinks. Aren't you proud I remembered how to
spell gnats? Polly

"Megan Zurawicz" wroteI don't think that's the point here. The point is

Old May 14th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

The FDA decided that low fat foods that contained sufficient oat bran
to qualify could indeed use that labling back in 1997.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9701/21/nfm/index.html

In view of that, their letter makes no sense.

NightMist
Now I have to go get more wedding finery out of the wash and ironed...
What day of the week is this? I am behinder than I want to be.

Old May 14th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_2_]

The problem is, where do you draw the line?

Frosted Flakes cures cancer? Is that okay to claim?

If not, why not? What's the difference?

That sort of claims by products that aren't tested for or regulated for what
they claim is one of the reasons we got the FDA in the first place: there's
a risk if you accept that it's okay to tell someone "got high cholesterol?
Ignore your doctor telling you you need to change your diet; ignore your
doctor telling you you need to take a prescription. Just eat Cheerios,
that's all you need." And of course that risk is that people will follow
such claims to their deaths rather than get the treatment they need.

The point of the story isn't "Cheerios need to be prescription." The point
is "you can't make medicinal claims for your product without it being
tested." If the line isn't drawn, you have open quackery----which is in
part what got us the FDA in the first place.

--pig

,

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Popular...wa_05122009.ht

Old May 14th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

So I wonder what's next. All foods that claim the help with heart
desease are to be tested by the FDA. Will all those butter
substitutes, fish, fish oil, etc. come from the pharmacy instead of
the grocery store. Can you imagine going to the doctor for a grocery
list.

OOPS there goes the medical insurance payments and god forbid those of
us on that dirty word Medicare, will get our groceries paid for by
Medicare or Medicaid.

Maybe the government should study their history of cereals. Kelloggs
brothers started making cereals to be used as "brain food" for their
mental patients.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old May 14th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Walking will lower your blood pressure. The next thing we know, Nike will
have to classify their shoes as drugs. Polly

Old May 14th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Where oh where was the FDA when baby formula was loaded with killer stuff?
Nevermind. I know. They were writing letters to Cheerios. What's wrong
with this picture? Polly

Kate wrote So I wonder what's next. All foods that claim the help with