Quilts from Big Bright Scraps?

Old October 25th 03, 10:34 PM
dogmom

Default Quilts from Big Bright Scraps?

I finally realized why my scrap quilts don't look like the ones in all those
"quilts from scraps" books. I thought it was just that I had lousy design
taste (which may be true in any case!) but it's also that my scraps are from
25 years of sewing clothes, most recently scrubs for a vet clinic. So
they're all cotton (good) but they're also all prints, many big, nearly all
bright, and fun! They *sure* aren't solids or near solids like all those
books show, which may explain why that churn dash scrap quilt I made just
never quite worked--because of the prints, if I cut them up they tend to be
a distraction.What patterns like such scraps? They make terrific
square-in-a-square but I've made two of those--that's enough for now. They
work okay in big flying geese. If I cut them into narrow strips (2" or less)
for Log Cabin or Strings--maybe. Would little 9-patch work? Snowballs? 1,000
pyramids? What do y'all recommend?

Somebody oughta write a book for scrap quilts based on real-life scrap
collections (at least, *my* real-life! Of *course* the world should revolve
around *my* scraps! VBEG) But until then I ask my trusty, beloved cyber
quilt guild!

TIA muchly.

Dogmom

Old October 26th 03, 12:58 AM
Nurse Ratched

Try a Brown Bag Quilt. You can find a free pattern at
http://www.angelthings.com/BB3.htm

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old October 26th 03, 02:32 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Made my own version of "I spy" from some brights for a baby (okay, i'm still
working on it, but the top is done!) using 1/4 sq triangles. 2 brights and
2 pale yellows. And made sure each fabric was used twice. some kind of
yellow showed up in 90% of the fabrics, so i went with that. DS has a baby
quilt much like that with white instead of yellow. Looks like little bow
ties or butterflies all over!

Or... you could make "hearts" with them... choose a light/neutral/solid
complementary background,
prints (P) and solid (S) placed like this

PS
PP

then set it on point for a quick heart ala Lydia's
http://www.hamiltonpipeband.org/berg...ing/HEARTS.JPG

Have fun!

Kellie

Old October 26th 03, 02:44 AM
Polly Esther

Maybe you're trying to work with prints that are too much alike and need
some variety. You might enjoy throwing in plaid, stripes, dots, crackles;
things that make you happy when they're added to what you already have. I
never miss a chance to check out the $2 bin at WalMart. They, for sure, have
lots of stuff that wouldn't even be useful for wiping up puppy puddles but I
almost always find something that needs to come home with me. Put two or
three scraps of your scrubs prints in your handbag in case you come upon
something that might be just right. That handbag probably already weighs 15
pounds now; what's another ounce or two? Polly

Old October 26th 03, 09:57 AM
Roberta in D

For queenly advice re scraps, please send a sample to me for evaluation.
I make lots of scrap quilts.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

"dogmom" wrote in
:

Old October 26th 03, 03:49 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Dogmom

My favorite scrappy quilts have not been 100 percent scrappy - probably less
than half. On the churn dash, for instance, I would make the centers scrappy -
but use all the same color family - or all the same value. Same for half of
the HST - but I would try for a lot of similarity there. (hope we are both
talking about the same churn dash) The other 2 fabrics I would buy - or choose
- specifically to work with the scraps. Even on the log cabins, I would try
for a couple of common fabric logs to run through the entire quilt.
--Those red value finders are really helpful - I have the deluxe 2 color set -
a red plastic oblong and a green plastic oblong, cheerfully connected with an
all brass key chain, and criminally overpriced at $7 - but I love it.
--A yellow brick road might work. Try to find 2 complimenting color families
in your scraps and then use the value finder to get the contrast you need.
--If you are compulsive - avoid the snowballs - you will just get more scraps.
-- Have you tried www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com? She has 4 free patterns
available till the end of the month. They are all very scrappy.
-- If you have EQ5, try a simple block with that. You don't really need to
scan in the scrap fabrics - their built in library has plenty of choices that
will be close enough to give you an idea of what will work and what won't.
-- Sew for the dogs. My Holly tells me that she has no design preferences at
all - but is concerned about loft and taste - go figure.
Deena - in Philly

Old October 27th 03, 02:15 AM
kayfamily

They sound like ideal I Spy fabrics, not only for the original hexagon
version, but also as the centers of sawtooth stars or attic windows. I read
that someone enlarged the patches of a YBR to piece it even faster. I bet
that would work well with big prints, maybe with some bright solids to break
it up a little.
Jane in NE Ohio

So
they're all cotton (good) but they're also all prints, many big, nearly

all
bright, and fun! They *sure* aren't solids or near solids What patterns