RCTN Posts

Old March 17th 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

Default RCTN Posts

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 03:53:59 -0500, "Fred" wrote:

Other uses were
the production of prints (shamrocks, snowflakes, bunnies, etc) for little
tots to color.

In an ideal society, hectographs would still be available to
primary-school teachers. It's educational for the tots to make their
own coloring sheets with a technology that has all its gears hanging
out where you can see them.

And yes, you can trust small children with stuff that stains if you
explain and expect them to exercise care. I swear, we are raising a
generation that will still be using plastic blunt-point scissors at
twenty-one!

But hectograph pencils are as far as I'd go. Even the most careful
person knocks over a bottle of ink once in a while. Hectograph ink
isn't fast to sunlight, but it has an unlimited ability to spread.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old March 17th 11, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Joy Beeson" wrote in message
[...]

Joy
You stretched what I was saying just a tad. It was the teachers that
produced the prints for the tots to color. I was many years past the tot
sage before I ever got my fingers stained. LOL
Your predictions about blunt-point scissors has probably already taken
place.
Nothing ruffles my feathers more than purchasing an item for $4.98, give the
young clerk $5 + 3 pennies expecting a nickel in change and the clerk has to
get out a calculator to figure out what is going on. Grrrrrr

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance
Don't back stitch to email just stitchit

Old March 19th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 04:35:20 -0500, "Fred" wrote:

You stretched what I was saying just a tad.

I was speaking from personal experience -- I pulled my own coloring
sheets off the hectograph from first grade on. Of course, there
would have been at most ten children standing in line, unless the
teacher gave the same coloring sheets to both grades. (One grade
would read or work problems while the other grade was being
instructed.) (The fifth grade drove the sixth grade nuts by
memorizing "Abou ben Adam" before they did, and reciting it to them on
the playground.)

Didn't get to create masters until I was in high school, though.
(Spirit duplicator by then. Part of the typing course.)

No, I *did* get to use a hectograph pencil. Don't recall exactly when
and why, but pencils were out of date by the time I was in high
school. You had to be very careful not to touch the line you had
drawn.

RCTN-P Cheryl Isaak Needlework 3 June 24th 10 01:36 PM
RCTN is alive!! Gill Murray Needlework 28 December 7th 07 02:29 AM
Being OT on RCTN (long) Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 117 October 8th 05 12:54 AM
Being OT on RCTN KCat Needlework 154 October 3rd 05 12:26 PM
META: Number of posts on RCTN. F.James Cripwell Needlework 67 January 16th 04 03:07 PM