Glass cutting lubricant

Old November 5th 03, 01:13 AM
jk

"Jerry Maske" wrote in message
I'm sure to get flamed for this, but the question isn't what kind of
fluid to use, rather, should you use fluid at all? My brass body Toyo
is 17 years old and has never seen a drop of oil, nor will it. I run a
glass business and put more miles on it than most so if it were to fail,
I'd know it. Also, I've had to replace cutter heads from people who DID
oil and didn't understand you have to clean that oil out. Otherwise it
picks up airborn lint and packs it around the axel.

I think we all have a cutter like that one, but I think it may be a freak
of nature?

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old November 5th 03, 02:24 AM
Paul

I stopped using it about a year ago and I don't miss it.

As a glass fuser it is just one more thing to give devit a foothold.

I know of at least one glass artist who stopped using it about 10
years ago and he's still using the same cutter without problems.

- Paul

Izm Studio
www.izm.com

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message ...
Greetings:

What is the consensus on glass cutting fluid. Turpentine, kerosene, or some
of the specialty odorless fluids available on the market? Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles

Old November 7th 03, 07:55 PM
Tina P

Wow... why spend that much money?

My method?....

- Take a small baby food jar and wash it out completely.
- Take one of those soft flat cotton rounds that we women use for removing
make-up
- you can get a pack of 100 or so for $1 at your local drug store... or
just swipe one from your wife/gf/etc.
- place the cotton round flat in the bottom of the baby food jar
- take some 3-in-1 oil (available at any hardware/home store, Home Depot,
Lowes, etc) and give the cotton round a light soaking.

You don't want the cotton round floating in oil but it should be saturated.
Then, when you go to cut glass, just run your cutter over the cotton round
to start and every few cuts afterwards. The cotton will remove the little
glass pieces from the cutter and the amount of oil in the round will give
the cutter plenty of lubrication for your work.

Replace the cotton round when it starts to get ratty. All in all, this is
less flamable, has a MUCH less foul smell than turpentine or kerosene (it
kinda reminds me of my dad when he used to work around home), is easier to
store (when your done, just put the lid back on the baby food jar and put it
back on your shelf - it'll last quite a while), AND far lese expensive than
'specialty fluids.'

Happy cutting,
Tina P