Glass cutting lubricant

Old November 3rd 03, 01:42 PM
jk

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

Charles

Yes they are 100% correct. Us real glass cutters like to smoke unfiltered
cigarettes, eat rare pork, and work barefooted, while we suck up those lead
fumes as well.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old November 3rd 03, 03:07 PM
Javahut

Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

Charles

Yes they are 100% correct. Us real glass cutters like to smoke

unfiltered
cigarettes, eat rare pork, and work barefooted, while we suck up those

lead
fumes as well.

--
JK Sinrod NY

Where you gettin' this "we" stuff? You got a mouse in your pocket?

I quit smoking 3 yrs ago.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:57 PM
nJb

suzilem wrote:

Perhaps it's something related to ISO-9000? There are 70 companies who
produce glass listed as meeting those requirements for ISO-9000
sanctioning/certification in Canada (according to the ISO-9000 website).
http://www.whosregistered.com/iso/cb_info/MainPage.html

That wouldn't be it. The claim is "Canada's first and still _only_
officially sanctioned stained glass supplier"
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old November 4th 03, 03:27 PM
nJb

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote:

Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

I've found that the oil from my sardines and smoked oysters works fine.
Also keeps visitors from hanging around too long.

Old November 4th 03, 04:12 PM
Javahut

"nJb" wrote in message
"Charles A. Peavey" wrote:

Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

I've found that the oil from my sardines and smoked oysters works fine.
Also keeps visitors from hanging around too long.
--
Jack

Man after my own heart!! Finally someone to watch Sunday football with that
likes the same snacks I do!!
I have GOT to send you some Jalapeno mustard! Will fix that smoky stuff
right up! adds just the right amount of twang!

Old November 4th 03, 09:00 PM
Jerry Maske

I'm sure to get flamed for this, but the question isn't what kind of
fluid to use, rather, should you use fluid at all? My brass body Toyo
is 17 years old and has never seen a drop of oil, nor will it. I run a
glass business and put more miles on it than most so if it were to fail,
I'd know it. Also, I've had to replace cutter heads from people who DID
oil and didn't understand you have to clean that oil out. Otherwise it
picks up airborn lint and packs it around the axel.

Your choice.

Jerry

Charles A. Peavey wrote:

Greetings:

What is the consensus on glass cutting fluid. Turpentine, kerosene, or some
of the specialty odorless fluids available on the market? Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and

Old November 4th 03, 09:06 PM
nJb

Javahut wrote:

"nJb" wrote in message
"Charles A. Peavey" wrote:

Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

I've found that the oil from my sardines and smoked oysters works fine.
Also keeps visitors from hanging around too long.
--
Jack

Man after my own heart!! Finally someone to watch Sunday football with that
likes the same snacks I do!!
I have GOT to send you some Jalapeno mustard! Will fix that smoky stuff
right up! adds just the right amount of twang!

I watch much more hockey and it's on every night. If I can get back
there before the season is over maybe we can watch a football game
together. Tell me more about this mustard, can you lube your cutter with
it? I eat a lot of jalapenos. Grow and can my own. Dry all my anaheims,
sorronnos, a few habs.

Old November 4th 03, 09:06 PM
nJb

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote:

Thanks guys. always nice to know where one can come to get good info, or
not!

In reality I keep a small bowl with a cloth in it and spray it with WD40
every once in a while. Works for me but most of my cuts are straight
lines if that matters. I know when it comes to lubrication, any oil is
better than no oil.

Old November 4th 03, 10:00 PM
Javahut

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Thanks guys. always nice to know where one can come to get good info, or
not!

Lemme guess, that was a serious question, and nobody is treating it that
way?

OK, it depends on what and why you are cutting the glass, if I am bending or
fusing the glass, I don't use anything, and I don't "mash" so hard that the
cutter leaves flakes either. Don't want the oil residue on the glass in the
kiln. Too hard to clean off and waste of my time when I can just use a dry
cutter.

If I am building a leaded panel or cutting 1/4" for bevels, I have an "end
cap" of 4" schedule 40 PVC with a folded up paper towel in it with Marvel
mystery oil, or whatever is handy. Sometimes I actually stick my cutter in
it.

Geez, no sense of humor.... where do you get the "or not"?