cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

Old February 22nd 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On 2/21/2017 9:37 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

Thanks to everyone for commenting, and helping me find good solutions and new possibilities!

That is the beauty of rctn!!!!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old February 22nd 17, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/22/2017 7:39 AM, Nancy Spera wrote:

Hmmm.... I know my SAL and several other version are in my finished
but unfinished (you know what I mean) pile. Your idea of a Kleenex
box cover is a good one. I've got one my mom did many years ago and
now all the Kleenex boxes are too big for it. Perhaps that would
work. Need to unearth them.

On the piece for the top, if you omit the floral part in the center it
is just the right size for the hole. It wasn't really all that hard
putting them together, either, iirc. I just overcast the edges with the
perle cotton. I really should take a pic of it, come to think of it...

Go for it!

Old February 22nd 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/21/2017 5:39 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

Joan, thanks for suggesting the alternative way to grid...I
think working from the center out (verse trying to do the outside
edge first) might be an easier way to go.

Also, I want to ask you about Aida...I want to try some and see
how it works out. snip How does one know cheap Aida from
quality Aida? Is there a price range or brand you can recommend?

The stuff that comes in the precut packages is pretty cheap...very stiff
to work with. The stuff from Charles Craft (in the tubes at places like
Michael's or Hobby Lobby) is okay stuff. If you order it from the bolt
from somewhere like Nordic Needle, it's nicer to work with. Some aida
cloth is made from blended fibers and has a different name, like Salem
cloth. That's a *dream* to work with, nice and soft, especially if you
want it for something like bread cloths that will drape. I use that for
the baptism cloths I make for our church.

HTH!

Old February 23rd 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 3:40:14 PM UTC-6, Joan Erickson wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joan for the excellent tips! I'm thinking the higher count aida could really be the ticket for me...I'll see how it goes as I stitch up the "No winter lasts forever" project. Since the craft stores around here only carry that cheap, pre-cut stuff you mentioned (which is as stiff as cardboard), I didn't realize there were better Aidas out there. I'm going to stitch the Rabbit Run Spool on 20ct aida too...I simply can't suffer 40ct linen at my age.
Old February 23rd 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arliss Link[_2_]

[...]

Inserting myself in the conversation here - Zweigart and Wichelt are probably the best manufacturers of Aida. I don't stitch on Aida anymore. I love linen - Belfast (32) or Cashel (28) from Zweigart and Lugana, also from Zweigart.

Arliss (in North Dakota, same as Joan, but in a completely different area) (Hi, Joan!)

Old February 24th 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

..... Zweigart and Wichelt are probably the best manufacturers of Aida. I don't stitch on Aida anymore. I love linen - Belfast (32) or Cashel (28) from Zweigart and Lugana, also from Zweigart.

Arliss

Thanks Arliss! I did just order some Wichelt Aida, but it hasn't arrived yet. I want to see it and touch it to compare it to the linen I usually work on. I'll keep those brand names in mind if I decide to stick with the Aida.
Old February 24th 17, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arliss Link[_2_]

Thanks Arliss! I did just order some Wichelt Aida, but it hasn't arrived yet. I want to see it and touch it to compare it to the linen I usually work on. I'll keep those brand names in mind if I decide to stick with the Aida.

Most shops will carry either Zweigart or Wichelt, but they might not carry Aida from both companies. I personally prefer Zweigart's linen to Wichelt's, but, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Aida and linen don't feel or look anything alike. I think it took me about 10 years to transition from Aida to linen or other even weave, but once I was over that hump, there has been no going back. I did try to stitch something on Aida for an outreach program for my ANG chapter, and I hated it. LOL I recently stitched a Mirabilia on 32 count linen, but my current project is on 25 count Lugana.

How far are you from Fargo? Nordic Needle carries quality fabrics (and a myriad of other stitching supplies). I haven't been there for a couple of years; Joan and I used to meet there on occasion. Might have to do it again sometime. . .

Arliss

Old February 25th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Hey Arliss. I live on the SE boarder of Minnesota in Rochester, so it's about a 5 hour drive to Fargo for me (boohoo!). There are no stitchy shops within 100 miles of me so I have to order everything online, which makes it difficult for me to pick out fabrics.

I've ordered some aida (hasn't arrived yet) but don't know if I'm going to like stitching on it or not...we'll see how it goes. My eyesight is getting worse and I'm getting headaches from stitching on linen, particularly higher counts of linen, so I'm looking for options that would be easier for me. All of my pieces have been done on various kinds of linen or cashel, but I've never used Laguna. How do you like it?
Old February 25th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

Well it looks like my habit of only reading this group once a week has
got me way behind. It is nice to see!

I have stitched on aida but I don't care for it because I find the
holes hard to hit from the back side. With linen the needles always
comes up somewhere close and then I can usually find the right hole on
the next poke.

I have never done a grid so I am no help with that topic.

Rich

Old February 28th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Update of thread: stitching on different fabrics with bad eyes

I ordered a bunch of fabrics online which arrived a couple days go and spent some time experimenting with stitching on them. If anyone else is having eye trouble this post might help you.

Aida: I ordered various fabrics from 14ct to 20ct. These fabrics were very high quality from Picture This Plus and Wichelt...they were wonderfully soft, hand-dyed, and a couple had some lovely opalescent sparkle. Surprisingly I found the lower count Aida (14-16) more difficult to stitch on as the treads are father apart and it's easy to get your needle caught "between" threads (if that makes any sense). As Rich said, I also found it harder to place the needle in the right spot when coming from the back of the fabric.

However the higher counts of Aida (18-20) I was very impressed with. They were about the same as stitching on any even weave except easier on the eyes.. As far as looks go, it's really not that different looking from linen IMHO. I'm so glad someone here suggested higher count Aida to me!

Linen: Oddly enough I find stitching on 32ct linen to be easier than 28ct. I think the larger holes in the 28ct are playing some tricks on my eyes, perhaps because I can see through the linen and the shadows underneath my lap stand confuse the eye. 32ct linen is pretty much the only one I can comfortably stitch on, as the higher counts (40ct especially) are simply impossible for me between my bad eyesight and my wrecked hands.

So there you go...if any one is having trouble with their eyes I do encourage you to check out 18-20ct aida. There can be a bit of a stigma about sewing on aida, but the quality of the fabric has really gone up these days...it's not the cheap, cardboard stiff fabric of the past. Give it a try!