Shops in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Reno

Old June 5th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

Default Shops in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Reno

I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris
Old June 5th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Marianne T

On Jun 4, 5:12*pm, Monica Ferris wrote:
I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. *(Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) *Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

There are shops in the Seattle area that are needlepoint shops.
Threadneedle Street in Issaquah and The Needlepointer in Everett. Both
are friendly shops with helpful gals. They both have websites
www.threadneedlestreet.com and www.needlepointer.com

In Portland, there is Acorns and Threads, mostly cross stitch. Also
wonderful shop and wonderful people. There is also a needlepoint shop
near A&C, but their name escapes me at the moment. Nice canvases and
also nice folks.

Boy, I miss those shops.

Hope this helps.

Marianne T. in the Northern Arizona black hole of needlework
Old June 5th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Monica Ferris wrote:
I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

The Karen should be popping in soon with info about her favourite LNS
in Sacramento. I *think* it's called something like The Fuzzy Penguin
or something along those lines. That's assuming it hasn't gone the way
of the dodo bird -- VBS. Tell us more about the train trip! I have
often thought about taking the train from here in Magnoliaville to
Lizard Land but I'm not too sure about what the accommodations are like!
More info please :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old June 5th 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mag

"Monica Ferris" wrote in message
I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

Hi MM,

In Portland, don't miss Acorns & Threads. An excellent experience in
the counted cross stitch world!!

http://www.acornsandthreads.com/

Mag, Oregon

Old June 5th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Mag wrote:

"Monica Ferris" wrote in message
I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

Hi MM,

In Portland, don't miss Acorns & Threads. An excellent experience in
the counted cross stitch world!!

http://www.acornsandthreads.com/

Mag, Oregon

Wow! I looked at the shop's newletter, and what great ideas they have! I
love the idea of "class reunions" for unfinished projects. She sounds
like a terrific store proprietor - full of energy, enthusiasm, and ideas.

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old June 5th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

Karen C in California wrote:
Monica Ferris wrote:

I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

Sacramento's LNS closed. The closest ones are about 45 minutes east in
Placerville (Kelsey's) and about 45 minutes south in Modesto (Elegant
Stitch). I've not been to Kelsey's. Elegant Stitch is almost 100%
samplers. Not a sparkly thread or MLI angel to be found. Therefore, I
went once and never again.

There's one in Reno, next door to the LYS, and across the street from a
bead shop.

Holler when you get to Sacramento. Let's do lunch.

Yes, unfortunately while there are some bead and quilt shops in the
Sacramento area, there are no truly local NS shops now.

However, I personally love Elegant Stitch - and she has lots of threads,
including metallics, and things besides samplers
Lois and all the ladies are very helpful and do great mail order! If
you're taking Amtrak to Sacramento though you will be about an hour
north of Modesto.

Here's Lois' website:
http://elegantstitch.com/

There is also a very nice store in Alameda (across the bay from SF) -
Needle in a Haystack.
http://www.needlestack.com/

I plan on being at the EGA National Seminar as well along with my
stitching buddies from several chapters in California and
Oregon....saving my pennies now!

MelissaD

Old June 5th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mag

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
Mag wrote:

[...]

Hi Susan - Here in the Portland area we are indeed very, very lucky to have
such an awesome establishment at our doorstep!!

mag

Old June 5th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

On Jun 4, 10:38�pm, Tia Mary wrote:
Monica Ferris wrote:
[...]

This started with an invitation to speak at the 2010 EGA national
convention in Salt Lake City. Flying is such an enormous hassle
nowadays and I have fond memories of taking a train from San Francisco
to Milwaukee back in the sixties, so I decided to see about train
travel again. I really should have considered the Zephyr out of
Chicago, it's a much more direct route, and the places to stop along
the way are numerous. But I have wanted to take the Empire Builder
for years, and so Empire Builder it is to Seattle. And the Coast
Starlight to Sacramento. And the Zephyr to Salt Lake City. One
problem: There are no bookstores or needlework shops along the train
route in Montana. I'm doing two library stops instead, one in Wolf
Point and another, if things work out, in Havre or Cut Bank. Then
Spokane (bookstore, probably), then Seattle, then Portland, then
Sacramento, then Reno, then Salt Lake. I'm traveling with a friend --
but if any stitchers want to hop aboard for part of the ride, what a
joyous riot that would be! I will also, of course, be thinking how to
turn the journey into a mystery novel.

Accommodations are good, from a roomy seat to a suite with a shower --
though the latter is really costly. What I like is that I can get up
and move around, from my seat to the lounge to the observation car to
the dining car.

Because there's only one train a day, when we get off in, for example
Wolf Point (11:31 am), I'm there until the train comes through again
the next day, so we'll spend that night in a motel.

Mary Monica
Old June 5th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 7:12*pm, Monica Ferris wrote:
I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. *(Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) *Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

But the 2010 EGA national seminar is in San Francisco...

Is it a fabulous regional seminar that you're going to? I've never
been to Salt Lake City...

Carol Sylvester
Old June 5th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

On Jun 4, 7:44*pm, Marianne T wrote:

There are shops in the Seattle area that are needlepoint shops.
Threadneedle Street in Issaquah and The Needlepointer in Everett.

In Portland, there is Acorns and Threads, mostly cross stitch. Also
wonderful shop and wonderful people.

Thanks for this info, Marianne! I'll be going to that neck of the
woods the end of July to visit my DSis! I think one of my nieces is
in Issaquah, too.

Liz, how far are you from Portland? Just in case........

Joan

Seattle shops Donna D. Needlework 1 July 21st 07 04:24 PM
embroidery shops in Seattle / Western Washington? greenvelvetsofa Needlework 9 May 14th 05 01:16 AM
Reno Elizabeth Wilson Quilting 7 January 31st 05 04:04 AM
Stitch in Time in Reno or other shops? Jenn Needlework 4 August 25th 04 06:03 AM
ANG 2004 Reno Seminar Jeanine3 Needlework 7 February 21st 04 09:12 PM