Carrickmacross Lace on Kate's Wedding Gown!!

Old April 29th 11, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Carrickmacross Lace on Kate's Wedding Gown!!

I was just reading about the Duchess of Cambridge's (aka Kate
Middleton) wedding gown. The lace **applique** used on the bodice and
gown was hand made by the Royal School of Needlework using the
traditional Irish lace making Carrickmacross method!! It has
incorporated the rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock -- looks very
pretty from what I have been able to see. Nice to know the needlearts
are still so appreciated. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old April 29th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
I was just reading about the Duchess of Cambridge's (aka Kate Middleton)
wedding gown. The lace **applique** used on the bodice and gown was hand
made by the Royal School of Needlework using the traditional Irish lace
making Carrickmacross method!! It has incorporated the rose, thistle,
daffodil and shamrock -- looks very pretty from what I have been able to
see. Nice to know the needlearts are still so appreciated. CiaoMeow
^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Thanks for sharing such interesting info. I loved the gown. The top
reminded me of my wedding gown. Strapless slip, lace with long sleeves
ending in a V. The only difference mine had what was called a boat neck,
straight across.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my lace wasn't quite as elegant as hers.
lol

Lucille

Old April 29th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Lucille wrote:

Thanks for sharing such interesting info. I loved the gown. The top
reminded me of my wedding gown. Strapless slip, lace with long sleeves
ending in a V. The only difference mine had what was called a boat
neck, straight across.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my lace wasn't quite as elegant as
hers. lol

Lucille

IIRC, the BASIC LACE WAS fRENCH cLUNY & eNGLISH cLUNY THEN THE
cARRICKMACROSS APPLIQUES WERE ADDED TO THAT. tHE TRIM ON HER VEIL WAS
ALSO HAND EMBROIDERED FLOWERS (OOPS, hit the caps key, sorry) also done
by the Royal School of Needlework. The article said they used current
teachers, retired teachers, former students and current students and the
youngest was 19 years old :-). I ***really*** want to get a close up
look at the gown and the lace, etc. I don't even want to think about
trying to find something online so I will keep following the group in
the hopes that someone with more energy than MOI will find a site that
has some close up photos. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old April 29th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 4/29/11 2:17 PM, in article , "Tia Mary"
wrote:

Lucille wrote:

[...]

The gown looked really lovely, at least in both mine & DH's opinion. We
didn't get up to watch, but were watching the reviews on the morning news.
The correspondent said it was "English Chantilly Lace" (uh huh) and desribed
the elements - clearly from the press release - following by saying it had
all been done by the RSN. Which was followed by the idiot "British Culture"
reporter - an actual Englishwoman here in DC that evidently is
socialite/stylist person - who said "Oh - who knew there is such a thing as
the Royal School of Needlework." The American anchor folks (man and a
woman) just looked at her strangely. Go figure.

I really liked the dress - interesting that there didn't appear to be any
beading - which might have added something if done tastefully. Amazing that
this rail thin woman, felt she had to diet to become a thinner rail - she
does look quite extremely slim - but lovely.

Worst fashion - the hats, and dresses, worn by the the Princesses Beatrice &
her sister. Truly horrible - one of them looked like she was going to a
disco funeral, and the other like a character out of Dr. Seuss. I
understand the hats, but I have begun to think that some people are being
jerked around to wear hats only meant as runway art statements to some real
life event. There were some truly interesting, some just bizarre, and some
not flattering in any way. Last year, on Project Runway (or was it the
Issaac Mizrahi show) they got a collection of hats from this avant garde
hatter (who did so many for the wedding) and each of the designers had to do
an outfit to highlight the hat. It was very cool - but of course these so
architectural hats were being worn as part of a runway show - not to some
other event.

Anyhow - lovely to see all this, but still it makes you wonder so many
things. On NPR yesterday, some celeb was interviewed and said that $32 M on
wedding - he thought the better thing would be to donate 90% to charities as
so much could be done, and that you could still do quite the "do" with $3.2
M. Interesting thing to think about.

Well, joy to the couple regardless.

Ellice

Old April 30th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Apr 29, 6:47*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:08:31 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

Anyhow - lovely to see all this, but still it makes you wonder so many
things. *On NPR yesterday, some celeb was interviewed and said that $32 M on
wedding - he thought the better thing would be to donate 90% to charities as
so much could be done, and that you could still do quite the "do" with $3.2
M. * Interesting thing to think about.

Well, joy to the couple regardless.

Ellice

One could always say money could go elsewhere - how about the
trillions of dollars spent on Iraq ?

Currently things in the UK are not too great and just as the Queen's
wedding coming as a big event immediately after the war lifted
spirits, so it seemed did this wedding. * The crowds, and I have no
idea how many millions formed them, had a great time without any demos
and distractions, I heard they both would have preferred a small
wedding but don't get to choose that. *The Queen footed the bill, save
for the security.

I know even the Canadian Coast Guard benefited from the donations they
asked for in lieu of wedding gifts as they were on the list. *I am not
a monarchist but I can see that people - common people - enjoy these
events.

Here in Canada, people had wedding parties, my elder daughter attended
one and I know several people who were disappointed I wouldn't get up
and go to a wedding party at 3 a.m - so even here some people
celebrated and enjoyed. *It was a positive event.

I didn't get up either. I figured a replay was as good as the real
happening.

The gown was wonderful - at least she was covered. Elegant and
tasteful, but interesting enough with that 'bustle' affair. And I
liked the very simple veil.

Old April 30th 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Tia Mary ) writes:
I was just reading about the Duchess of Cambridge's (aka Kate
Middleton) wedding gown. The lace **applique** used on the bodice and
gown was hand made by the Royal School of Needlework using the
traditional Irish lace making Carrickmacross method!! It has
incorporated the rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock -- looks very
pretty from what I have been able to see. Nice to know the needlearts
are still so appreciated. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

I thought Pippa'a dress was more "interesting". On another issue.

I think that in the future Kate's ideas are going to clash with those of
the Royal Establishment. When, and not if, this happens, William must
support Kate 110%, or they are heading for the divorce court.

What I think I heard on Canadian TV was that for the evening's
entertainment, Pippa wanted to decorate one of the rooms of Buckingham
Palace (The Throne Room?) in a certain way. The Palace Authorities said
"NO". William sided with Pippa, and Pippa got her way.

I hope this is a true story. Jim.

Old April 30th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Kalmia wrote:.
....Snipped.....
The gown was wonderful - at least she was covered. Elegant and
tasteful, but interesting enough with that 'bustle' affair. And I
liked the very simple veil.

I have to LOL -- the veil was the one thing I didn't like! It looked
a bit too limp and sort of floppy to MOI. Personal tastes and all. I
told DH that if the Bride liked it, then that is all that matters.
I Tivo'd the whole thing -- all 5 1/2 hours -- and DH and I looked at
the good bits again last evening. I wanted to get a look at all those
hats. I have to agree with Ellice (I think it was her post) when she
said many of the hats looked liked something out of a Dr. Seuss movie!
That ugly thing Princess Beatrice had on was just ridiculous. There was
also one that was BRIGHT BLUE, sat smack on the front of the poor womans
forhead and was shaped like a childs toy spaceship or something! Very
strange and DH and I wondered how she kept the ugly thing on her head.
We decided she had to have used couble stick tape -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old April 30th 11, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

wrote:
Here you are oh lazy feline !

http://tinyurl.com/5sjvraz

Any bites on the house btw, or should you stop burying icons ??

No argument from MOI -- I am quite lazy when it comes to looking for
info on the computer :-). A very interesting article -- thanks for
posting the link. I STILL want to get a look at some close u photos of
the dress! I looked at the 5 1/2 hours of Wedding coverage I had tivo'd
and got a little better look at the dress. You can just barely make out
the areas of appliqué on the skirt. I also read somewhere that Pippa's
dress had the same appliqué as Catherine's gown. Couldn't see any of
that either.
No movement on selling the house. We did have one couple come about
10 days ago. They came back the next day because they wanted either our
house or a second one but they didn't choose mine :-(. No additional
icon planting is anticipated -- LOL. One is enough. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old April 30th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Karen C in Calif wrote:

I've noted that the British royals tend to wear frumpy dresses, and then
go to the opposite extreme of totally outre' on their heads.

I rather liked the one you described as a Dr. Seuss creation -- an
e-friend called it "antlers", I described it to Brian as "remember the
antenna on that cartoon alien?" -- her sister's simply looked like
something had sat on her head and died there.

Obviously, I wouldn't wear any of them to an event at MY church, but
that was the one I could see myself wearing should I ever be invited to
a British high society wedding.

I liked the one that was a **really** wide brimmed beige sort of
colour with some small twisty bits on one side. I like really wide
brimmed hats -- sort of like you see in old movies at a garden party. I
also liked the ones that had all sorts of feathers -- there were several
present at the wedding. As for colour -- there was a wonderful fuschia
hat with bright turquoise stuff on it -- I liked that one too. Now I
*would* wear any of these hats to most any sort of function but then I
don't give a damn about fashion, etc. and wear what I like pretty much
when I want to wear it. I'm a bit ornery that way -- LOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old April 30th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 4/30/2011 8:07 AM, Tia Mary wrote:

I Tivo'd the whole thing -- all 5 1/2 hours -- and DH and I looked at
the good bits again last evening. snipped

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

yes, but did you get this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

LOL!