It's Official!!!

Old July 20th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default It's Official!!!

I am now a card carrying member of the prestigious UFO club.

UFO 1 -- I took a silk and metal class with Kay Stanis at a recent seminar.
It's unlikely that I'll ever finish it -- the silk is really hard to work with.

UFO 2 -- Verana, a Brazilian embroidery design -- I have just one flower to
finish it off but I can't get my eyes/hand/brain to play nice with each other.
I'm not getting how to do the detached buttonholes (needle lace) for the
petals. Have a friend who tutors in BE but we can't seem to connect ;-(

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old July 20th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"anne" wrote in message
I am now a card carrying member of the prestigious UFO club.

UFO 1 -- I took a silk and metal class with Kay Stanis at a recent
seminar.
It's unlikely that I'll ever finish it -- the silk is really hard to work
with.

UFO 2 -- Verana, a Brazilian embroidery design -- I have just one flower
finish it off but I can't get my eyes/hand/brain to play nice with each
other.
I'm not getting how to do the detached buttonholes (needle lace) for the
petals. Have a friend who tutors in BE but we can't seem to connect ;-(

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I'm going immediately to the closet to tell my 3 UFO's about your items.
Perhaps they will feel better about just sitting there in the dark doing
nothing if I share that they're in such prestigious company.

Lucille

Old July 20th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

anne wrote:
I am now a card carrying member of the prestigious UFO club.

UFO 1 -- I took a silk and metal class with Kay Stanis at a recent seminar.
It's unlikely that I'll ever finish it -- the silk is really hard to work with.

UFO 2 -- Verana, a Brazilian embroidery design -- I have just one flower to
finish it off but I can't get my eyes/hand/brain to play nice with each other.
I'm not getting how to do the detached buttonholes (needle lace) for the
petals. Have a friend who tutors in BE but we can't seem to connect ;-(

How thrilling to take a class from Kay. What is making the silk hard
for you to work with? What type is it?

Can you do needle lace at all? Or, is it simply the rayon that's
driving you nuts?

Dianne
Old July 20th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lynnedemeter

lynnedemeter had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/needlework/I...ial-55235-.htm :

anne wrote:

I am now a card carrying member of the prestigious UFO club.

UFO 1 -- I took a silk and metal class with Kay Stanis at a recent
seminar.
It's unlikely that I'll ever finish it -- the silk is really hard to
work with.

UFO 2 -- Verana, a Brazilian embroidery design -- I have just one
flower to
finish it off but I can't get my eyes/hand/brain to play nice with each
other.
I'm not getting how to do the detached buttonholes (needle lace) for
the
petals. Have a friend who tutors in BE but we can't seem to connect ;-(

I firmly believe that this is the reason for extra large zip lock bags!!
Zip it up and put it away and one day you'll get back to it...I promise!
-------------------------------------
Lynne

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework - 50793 messages and counting!
Old July 20th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Oh good! Now my seven or nine won't feel so lonely!

Of course, I have three in progress right now - or so I keep telling
myself!

linda
Old July 21st 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sandy Bell

Old July 21st 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/21/09 6:04 PM, "anne" wrote:

says...

How thrilling to take a class from Kay. What is making the silk hard
for you to work with? What type is it?

There were several varieties of 'strandable' silk. My hands aren't smooth so
just pulling apart the strands caused snags ;-( I didn't have a clue that
working with silks would be so hard.

It's a live and learn thing, IMHO. I keep a hand scrub thing around - the
Crabtree & Evelyn Goat's Milk Hand Therapy - a scrub, and fabulous
moisturizer. IIRC, Donna does a sugar & olive oil scrub weekly. I have to
do this at least 1-2 times a week if I'm doing any garden stuff, or now with
working in the coffee place. Otherwise it's really frustrating snagging the
silks.

Different brands are also bundled differently - so plying them can be an
adventure - Splendor - you break into 3 groups of 4 and then ply separately
- for example. I've also found that using thread heaven helps a bit with
the fuzz and snag.

Hopefully you'll find your way with this.

Can you do needle lace at all? Or, is it simply the rayon that's
driving you nuts?

I can do needle lace but the petals require a certain number of stitches in
each row. I'm having problems getting the tension right so I can see where the
stitches in the next row get inserted. Too loose and the petal's too big; too
tight and I can't see where to insert the needle for the second row. Plus the
petals are supposed to be free standing like a picot and I'm not understanding
the stops/starts as written.

While I don't wish UFOs on anyone, I know my bin is happy for some more
company! DH keeps asking me about a metalwork/beadwork piece I did some
years ago at a seminar. I think he really, really likes it and wants me to
finish. Plus, he threatens to tell the instructor who we see upon occasion
at some ANG thing that I've still not put it all together!

ellice

Old July 23rd 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"ellice" wrote
(snip)
It's a live and learn thing, IMHO. I keep a hand scrub thing around - the
Crabtree & Evelyn Goat's Milk Hand Therapy - a scrub, and fabulous
moisturizer. IIRC, Donna does a sugar & olive oil scrub weekly. I have
do this at least 1-2 times a week if I'm doing any garden stuff, or now
with
working in the coffee place. Otherwise it's really frustrating snagging
the
silks.

The Goat's Milk Hand Therapy is great stuff. Another excellent cream for
dry hands and raggy cuticles is Helping Hands from LUSH. I work with books
all day, and it really dries out the hands. My DS gave me the LUSH stuff a
few years ago, and I am now never without it. The only caveat is that it
contains linseed oil and takes a while to absorb, so you have to sit for a
while and let it sink it, but it works wonders.

Dawne

Old July 23rd 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/23/09 2:49 PM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"ellice" wrote
(snip)
[...]

Great recommendation. I also like the Kiehl's Intensive Hand cream, and
there's a L'Occitane intensive hand cream - which is similar to the Goat's
milk in working really well, and quickly absorbing - but it smells better
;^) Of course, also a bit more pricey.

Of late, I have a tube of Vaseline Intensive Care Ultra Hand therapy in the
stitch caddy - it's pretty good. I'll look for the LUSH.

Ellice

OT--its official!! jeanne-nzlstar* Quilting 3 October 22nd 08 03:56 PM
its official!!!!!--Jan Denise in NH Quilting 1 July 11th 06 02:49 PM
its official!!!!! nzlstar* Quilting 9 July 11th 06 03:28 AM
It's official! Dannielle Quilting 32 September 21st 05 03:41 PM
OT Well it is now official (fwd) Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 March 27th 04 05:40 PM