Stitch Choices - Anyone else think too hard?

Old June 5th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Stitch Choices - Anyone else think too hard?

So, here I am, like a drone - going over tons of stitch information. Why
you ask? Or, maybe not - but I wonder how many of us do this. Yes, on
topic. And in the words of Monty Python "my brain hurts."

So, here's the deal - as some of you know I've decided to do the Master
Teacher Program with ANG - assuming of course that my application portfolio
is accepted (I'm pretty sure it will be). Though - this is no easy thing,
and rightfully so, as I'd assume we all expect our instructors to know
something - more or less. A bit different than doing the Master Craftsman
programs in terms of the starting point - not more or less work to proceed
along.

Anyhow, I'm working on an original design that has to be done, completed and
submitted with many pages of stuff and stitch samples by Aug 1. Everything
else - I'm almost done with (a lot of academic type stuff, sketches, stitch
samples, photos of original designs, etc). But, this original piece has me
a bit twisted. Which brings me to my topic question. Donna & I were
chatting about this over tea & cappuccino this afternoon. Are we too
obsessive in finding just the right thing - stitch, thread for an original
design. I'm 95% done with my sketches for this - just going to lay down a
colored pencil or watercolor of the design. Then I have to do the stitch
diagram - which will no doubt be done many times - as I play with the
stitches. So, I have no less than about 20 threads for this - which will
likely use about 5 in the end. I'm playing with some gorgeous Trio
silk/wool - yummy - in 3 shades for the deep blue section. Got some lovely
shades of Silk Lame' in the lightest to go with. And a Frosty Rays (sheer
tube with metallic inner thread). And, of course, have a few Kr 8, as well
as some Threadworx Overdyed Kr 8 & 4. And Petite Sparkle Rays in white,
pale blue. And some Fyrewerks (that I don't think I'll use). And a couple
of different weight white/metal types - Cresta d'Oro, Nordic Gold, Tapestry
Braid. Did I mention that for white (the actual Snow/ice of the glacier) I
have Watercolours in Snow White, Trebizond silk in White, and Hint of Mint
Watercolours. What else - some Soy Lustre Shadows in the cerulean (blue)
shades. I think I've figured out my "eye in the glacier" - the blues - will
be some series of a Jessica. Crescents, circular bargello. But, the
snow/ice which radiates away - I'm really obsessing in stitch choices - to
give that edgy feel of the ice surface. I've had some ideas - and am almost
there - but I wonder - am I just making myself crazy? Right now, I'm
thinking of doing some of the snow in a "bunger stitch" which is sort of an
elongated stepped slanted stitch. And maybe some Milanese variation. I
don't know.

So, the rest of you - do you find yourself agonizing over just the right
thread, or just the right stitch?

Well, back to work.... I've been having a great time re-reading stitching
references. Going through the wonderful Jean Hilton's books - then talking
about it with Donna - points out again why so many of her projects are done
as classes. I don't think these are really easy to follow. But, amazing
the variations she thought of.

Happy stitchin'
Ellice

Old June 5th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Yes, I do too. Fortunately (perhaps) I don't have an LNS available,
so at least I am limited to what I have on hand.

Like Anne, I've woken up thinking about what stitches to use.

AAMOF, I've been thinking about some stitches now - I need to start on
a painted canvas I promised my sister I would make her for Christmas.
Suggestions welcome!
Old June 5th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/4/09 10:30 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

Snip!

So, the rest of you - do you find yourself agonizing over just the right
thread, or just the right stitch?

Yes - which is why the piece I want to do for DD is still not started

Cheryl

Quilt color choices John Quilting 25 June 21st 08 04:30 PM
Terrible Choices Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 8 April 28th 08 05:04 PM
Are you looking for sourcing in China, here is one of your best choices! pamela Glass 3 April 28th 07 08:35 AM
Color Choices Pat in Virginia Quilting 19 September 23rd 06 01:03 PM
Glass kiln choices lee Glass 0 November 2nd 04 03:13 PM