Annoying Symbols

Old August 22nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

Default Annoying Symbols

Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. It's frustrating for
sure. I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

Sharon (N.B.)
Old August 22nd 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Sharon wrote:
Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. It's frustrating for
sure. I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

Sharon (N.B.)

Because idiot publishers/designers let their computers generate what
symbols are used, and don't check them for similarity before printing

I have seen charts (in kits, usually, I seem to remember Dimensions
being big on this) that, if they have similar symbols, will print them
in different colors (red and blue, for instance) so one can tell the
difference.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Sharon wrote:
Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. It's frustrating for
sure. I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

I always put Maureen's charts through my scanner and enlarge them for
her. One new kit came with a chart that looked as though it had been
copied umpteen times. Maureen was partway through the chart before she
discovered the chart used two symbols + and ÷ which were impossible to
tell apart.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old August 22nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Aug 22, 1:00*pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:12:20 -0700 (PDT), Sharon
opined:

Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. *It's frustrating for
sure. *I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. *Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

Sharon (N.B.)

Wear better glasses !! *RDH

There's ONE in every crowd. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)
Old August 23rd 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/22/08 11:12 AM, "Sharon" wrote:

Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. It's frustrating for
sure. I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

Sharon (N.B.)

Sometimes the charting software just allocates the symbols, and, well, the
designer just didn't bother to change them around. But, this is the reason
I often do an enlarged copy . Sorry about your froggin' & frustration.

Ellice

Old August 23rd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Spot[_2_]

Sharon,

I've found the best thing to do is to go to a copy center and have them
enlarge the pattern. Or if you have a scanner you can also do it yourself
at home.

Celeste

Old August 24th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Aug 22, 11:30*pm, ellice wrote:
On 8/22/08 11:12 AM, *"Sharon" wrote:

Can someone tell me the reason why charts have to have symbols that
look so much alike so bloody close together. *It's frustrating for
sure. *I'm working on a rather big project and intermixed among the
wings of a fairy are symbols so much alike that I have to use my
magnifying glass each time I take a stitch to make sure it's the right
colour. *Just had to pluck out a bunch of stitches the other night -
my groan for the day.

Sharon (N.B.)

Sometimes the charting software just allocates the symbols, and, well, the
designer just didn't bother to change them around. *But, this is the reason
I often do an enlarged copy . *Sorry about your froggin' & frustration.

Ellice

Oh well, it feels good to let off a little steam now and again - but
it sure is frustrating. You'd think the designers would care enough
to check over their patterns before releasing them. I do enlarge my
patterns a bit, but apparently not enough and I too need to use my
magnifying glass now. I love this pattern I'm doing (Shall We Dance
by Dimple Designs) but I'll really be glad when it's finished too.

Sharon (N.B.)
Old August 24th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Sharon wrote:
[...]

I have a chart of Coppelia (by Forget me Nots in Stitches)which I
actually started, and had to stop because the instructions were so bad.
The pattern is hand drawn, and there is a list of symbols, but then in
the text instructions, all the parts of the chart that are to be done in
say, satin stitch, are listed in a paragraph which you have to wade
through each time you get to a new area of the chart.

For example: "Stem Stitch, use 2 of Balger 002HL or 1 of DMC Gold
Metallic for Dr. Coppellius' key; use 1 of Flower Thread 2674 for the
Wheat Stem (Wheat ears are lazy daisy stitches); use 1 of Flower Thread
284 for Paint Brush handles." And this is the shortest list. In the
case of the satin stitch paragraph, it's listed as "satin stitch" and
then "more satin stitch"! Finally at the end of the pattern (after a
section of "additional stitches)" there is another section of, you
guessed it, "more satin stitches".

So every time you need to stitch part of the pattern you have to read
through each paragraph (and there are a number of them) to find the item
you are stitching, and then, what thread and what colour. It would be
gorgeous if I could ever figure it out (it uses tulle for Coppelia's
skirt).

I can't figure out why the designer didn't at least list the parts of
the patterns or motifs, then the stitch and thread colour. It would
have made it much easier. As it is, this in in my permanent ufo pile.

MargW

Question about diamonds (probably an annoying one) [email protected] Jewelry 4 May 2nd 05 03:44 AM
OT - REALLY annoying spam Mj Beads 8 October 24th 04 08:22 PM
Now, this is annoying! Cheri2Star Beads 11 September 11th 03 09:06 PM