OT - appliance conumdrum

Old June 12th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default OT - appliance conumdrum

Last night when I turned the knob to start the dishwasher, nothing
happened. I went to bed thinking that it might be more cost effective to
replace rather than repair the at least 11-13 year old machine. I'm
guessing that a repair person would charge at least $75 to make a house
call.

What would you do?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old June 12th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

anne wrote:
Last night when I turned the knob to start the dishwasher, nothing
happened. I went to bed thinking that it might be more cost effective to
replace rather than repair the at least 11-13 year old machine. I'm
guessing that a repair person would charge at least $75 to make a house
call.

What would you do?

I you have to call someone in rather than try to repair it yourself I
would definitely replace rather than repair.
Bruce
Old June 12th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Dishwashers are not that expensive and are far more energy efficient
and clean better than they did ten years ago. $75 plus parts and
labor goes a long way towards buying a new one.

Just my two cents.

Linda
Old June 12th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lewmew" wrote in message
Dishwashers are not that expensive and are far more energy efficient
and clean better than they did ten years ago. $75 plus parts and
labor goes a long way towards buying a new one.

Just my two cents.

Linda

I would probably replace it too. I don't think most appliances are made to
last a lot longer then 10 years and once one part goes it's likely others
will follow.

Lucille

Old June 12th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

I've never had a dishwasher last ten years. Last time we had to replace
it, we bought the top one we could afford - stainless steel interior. I
figured with our track record, putting the money into a really solid
machine was worthwhile.

So my advice would be buy a new one, and don't skimp on getting a cheap
one "to get by" if you can afford it. (And buy a warranty!)

If you're in the U.S., check ads to see if anyone has extra promos with
the "tax refund" - that's been a come-on at some appliance places.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old June 12th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jun 12, 8:08*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
I've never had a dishwasher last ten years. Last time we had to replace
it, we bought the top one we could afford - stainless steel interior. I
figured with our track record, putting the money into a really solid
machine was worthwhile.

So my advice would be buy a new one, and don't skimp on getting a cheap
one "to get by" if you can afford it. (And buy a warranty!)

If you're in the U.S., check ads to see if anyone has extra promos with
the "tax refund" - that's been a come-on at some appliance places.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Musicwww.dirtylinen.com

I changed mine after 20 years ,, But than it sort of was finnished
mirjam
Old June 12th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Susan Hartman wrote:

So my advice would be buy a new one

And ask whether it's got a food screen in the drain.

My current one was purchased because it had a taller than usual bottom
section for baking pans, etc., which didn't fit in my old one. And
after a couple months it ceased to function. According to the
repairman, I need to wash the dishes before I put them in the
dishwasher, because the bits of food were clogging the water intake; the
old machine had a screen to prevent that from happening. (Helpful hint
.... when that happens, toss a big pot of water in, then "cancel" so the
machine drains, repeat until the food bits float away from the water
intake.)

They save $1 on a square foot of screening, you pay $80 a visit for the
repairman. *sigh* It's all a money-making scam, I tell you.
--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 5/21/08 - Helping the Hummers

WIP: Christmas Music Bellpull, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old June 12th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Karen C in California wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:

So my advice would be buy a new one

And ask whether it's got a food screen in the drain.

My current one was purchased because it had a taller than usual bottom
section for baking pans, etc., which didn't fit in my old one. And
after a couple months it ceased to function. According to the
repairman, I need to wash the dishes before I put them in the
dishwasher, because the bits of food were clogging the water intake; the
old machine had a screen to prevent that from happening. (Helpful hint
... when that happens, toss a big pot of water in, then "cancel" so the
machine drains, repeat until the food bits float away from the water
intake.)

They save $1 on a square foot of screening, you pay $80 a visit for the
repairman. *sigh* It's all a money-making scam, I tell you.

Or buy one with built-in disposal that takes care of most chunks of food
(sans bones and really big chunks that won't fit *into* the disposal).

I do still find myself prewashing pots & pans, though, as some of mine
are not of the non-stick variety, and if not washed beforehand, food
really *really* sticks to them, and then gets baked on in the dry cycle

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 13th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
CHEX

If you read the booklet, some dishwashers have a disposal function which
takes care of small bits of food and some do not. I know of three people
who have recently bought new stainless steel 2 drawer dishwashers and all
have to rinse their dishes before loading. Kind of defeats the whole point
of a dishwasher if you ask me. Two years ago my dishwasher buttons stopped
working and my washing machine was making a noise so I decided to get the
repair guy in since I had two things to look at. He replaced the dishwasher
buttons ($90), waived the visit fee since I had the work done, and told me
to run my washer until it completely let go and get a new one, not worth
fixing. My washer lasted another 6 months, and my dishwasher is still
running!

chex

Old June 13th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Or buy one with built-in disposal that takes care of most chunks of food
(sans bones and really big chunks that won't fit *into* the disposal).

Absolutely! We just went through several weeks of repairs on our 5 y.o.
dishwasher - first repair wasn't successful; second repair said we
needed a new part, which they ordered but it didn't come, so they
reordered; third repair was after the part arrived. Whole process was
5-6 weeks. Aargh! Thank heaven for the warranty. The part it needed was
the grinder. So hope it'll last another five years before that gets
replaced again!

Sue