To Call or Not to Call

Old September 25th 03, 10:20 PM
Susie Jordan

Default To Call or Not to Call

Yesterday we all learned that District Judge Lee R. West, of Oklahoma,
had ruled the DO NOT CALL list was illegal. Bummer! I thought to
myself that perhaps I would just call Judge West every time I received
an unwanted call. Then I thought maybe all of us should do just that.

Yesterday evening on the national news they were reporting how
Congress is trying to do something about this. One of the Congressman
said "Don't call us, call the Judge. His name is Lee R. West" and he
held up a sheet of paper with the judge's name and phone number on it.
Of course you couldn't see the name and number but I understand that
it has been posted on the Internet by some very angry Americans. Over
fifty million Americans signed up for this list - that should tell
someone something.

Now, what should we do? Call the judge?

Susie Jordan
Old September 26th 03, 12:14 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Listening to NPR today, there's buzz about this. One congressman said
lawyers are already workin' on this, and it will get fixed. Congress
has your message . . . anytime 50,000,000 people get together to agree
on something, they get it. grin

The Congressman you saw on the news was just doing the usual "buck
passing". The judge is doing what he think is legally the right thing
to do, and there may be a point (Congress made the wrong agency in
charge of this: FCC rather than FTC . . . or so the judge "thinks").

I would write BOTH snail mail and email to your Senators and Congressman
just to make sure they STILL know you DO NOT want marketers calling you.
And you might mention, while you're at it, to add in EVERYBODY, since
now political organizations, charities, insurance, and others are
loopholed out of the law. What's fair for one is fair for the rest.

We should ALL be able to opt IN whenever we want. So, if I want my
government to put me on their call list, I'll let them know. grin

Dianne

Old September 26th 03, 12:41 AM
Bonnie

I read a news article on the Web today saying that both houses of Congress
had voted to five the FTC the authority to do the Do Not Call List and that
it was on its way to the President's desk tonight. Here is the article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...all/index.html
They acted on that FAST and finally did something right!

Bonnie

om...

Old September 26th 03, 12:56 AM
Dr. Brat

animaux wrote:

I have written, begged, lobbied, begged, written, wrote again. These phone
solicitors will always call regardless what the law says. There is always going
to be someone ripped off, usually someone elderly who has not grown as the times
have grown.

I feel awful, but what to do...I guess I'll write again. The creeps.

We don't have calls anymore, Victoria, because my husband was religious
about following the procedure that he lays out in this website:
http://www.mindspring.com/~dave.heisler/tele.html

He collected damages several times and we used the money to treat our
friends to dinner and to buy stash for him or for me, or just generally
to make our lives more pleasant. I almost wish one of them would call
again, because I just got the new Nordic Needle catalog (LOL!).

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old September 26th 03, 01:23 AM
Jenn Liace

On 25 Sep 2003 14:20:19 -0700, (Susie Jordan)
wrote:

Yesterday we all learned that District Judge Lee R. West, of Oklahoma,
had ruled the DO NOT CALL list was illegal. Bummer! I thought to
myself that perhaps I would just call Judge West every time I received
an unwanted call. Then I thought maybe all of us should do just that.

Yesterday evening on the national news they were reporting how
Congress is trying to do something about this. One of the Congressman
said "Don't call us, call the Judge. His name is Lee R. West" and he
held up a sheet of paper with the judge's name and phone number on it.
Of course you couldn't see the name and number but I understand that
it has been posted on the Internet by some very angry Americans. Over
fifty million Americans signed up for this list - that should tell
someone something.

Now, what should we do? Call the judge?

The bill passed the House of Representatives by a HUGE margin (like
415-8?) and was in the Senate's hands by the time I went home from
work today. There was a blurb on MSN.com that President Bush might
sign it into law as early as tonight?

In this particular instance, things are moving too fast for any action
now to cause any change, but I think our legislators realized from the
fact taht over 50 MILLION people signed up for this list in less than
three months that this is something that the people want. But in
general, the best thing to do is to write to your senators and your
representative and let them know what you want!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old September 26th 03, 01:28 AM
Jenn Liace

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:14:50 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

(Congress made the wrong agency in
charge of this: FCC rather than FTC . . . or so the judge "thinks").

Close, according to what I read. The registry was actually authorized
in 1991 and was supposed to be under the jurisdiction of the FTC.
Either FTC dropped the ball or tried and didn't get response or
something. So the FCC jumped on it and got the massive response we've
seen in the past three months. (or do I have those backwards now?
eeks, brain drain!)

If I remember what I read correctly, the lawsuit started as a result
of a couple of the telemarketing companies complaining that the
registry violated their First Amendment rights. That's why it was in
front of West. I'm not sure why he ruled on whether the current
agency had the right to manage such a list rather than on the issue of
the Constitutional rights.

Old September 26th 03, 04:35 AM
Angel

I live in Tennessee and we've had a no call list in effect for about 3 years
now. I love it. When it first started I was working 7p-7a, 7 days on 7
off. I was not happy to be awakened by a telemarketer, and let's just say,
I've been known to growl when awakened.

--
Angel
My family are the golden threads running

Old September 26th 03, 04:53 AM
Stitchfan30

had ruled the DO NOT CALL list was illegal. Bummer! I thought to
myself that perhaps I would just call Judge West every time I received
an unwanted call. Then I thought maybe all of us should do just that.

That ruling made me wonder about my right to privacy in my own home. My phone
which I pay for is used to disrupt my privacy. Has this idea come up during
all of the talk about DO NOT CALL? Just wondering, Boo
Old September 26th 03, 06:22 AM
Susie Jordan

Dianne,
I do agree with you and I was really being a little facetious (maybe a
lot.) I probably should have added a "grin" also. Besides, he'd
probably sue each and every one of us for harassment.

Jenn, you are correct, the original lawsuit was that the law violated
the First Amendment right of the telemarketers. A Judge in Denver has
struck down the law also, but his reasoning was the violation of the
First Amendment. Things are probably moving much too fast and we all
need to practice our rights by contacting our representatives.

I personally think that they (the companies that use telemarketing)
are violating my rights. I know that I can simply not answer the
phone, but the ringing itself is intruding on my life. I happen to
live in one of the states that has a No Call list that has proven to
be constitutionally OK, so I registered with my state list today. I
can't remember why I didn't do it to start with.

Susie Jordan

Old September 26th 03, 02:17 PM
Dr. Brat

animaux wrote:
[suing telemarketers for violating the FCC do not call rules]
I just can't stand the calls that come at night...or I should say "Used to come
at night." It's irritating, but not enough for me to go through all the fuss.
I do know where you are coming from. I have other things I go to the end of the
earth to do, this is not one of them.

I hear you, I wouldn't go through it either. He seems to enjoy it,
though, and I certainly didn't mind when he was getting checks for $500
and $1500 as settlement or court awarded damages. $1500 for a morning
in court is pretty good pay, I would say. But the best part is that
they simply don't call us anymore.

Elizabeth