OT Cameras

Old May 11th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Default OT Cameras

Hey Everyone

I am thinking of entering a quilt show. the instructions are to send
pics of the quilt.

Well I don't have a camera other than the throw away kind.

I'm not a photographer, just a point and shooter. I don't want to
take the time to take film to a processor and wait for a week to get
them back only to see I have made a mess.

Any recommendations on Digital Cameras.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old May 11th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

First -- with a throw away -- shoot the pics you want and then take it to a
local 1 hour photo place. Many places do it now -- and you only pay for the
number of prints developed.

As for a digital camera -- you are looking at a couple of hundred dollars.
For the basic point & shooter -- a "low end" model should work fine. But
you will need some basic computer skills to get the photos off the camera...
and possibly to manipulate them to the size required by the show rules.

I have seen the equivalent of "throw away digital" cameras... so you might
want to look into one of those... much less of an investment than a "for
real" digital camera.

Another thought -- invite one of your "quilty" friends for lunch... and ask
if she would bring her digital camera. For no more pictures than you
need... for someone comfortable with their camera -- this would take only a
few minutes to do for you. Or offer to buy then a few FQ's.

--
Kate in MI

Old May 11th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Check with your Walgreen's Drugs or Long's Drug or Walmart phot
sections. Some of them will develop those throw-away cameras onto a CD
rather than hard-copy photos. Then you could send the photos from the
CD.

But then again, this may not work. Let me know. I don't have a camera,
have no real need for one, and hate being in front of them!

Ginger in CA

Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *"Kate T." wrote in message

Hey Everyone

I am thinking of entering a quilt show. *the instructions are to send
pics of the quilt.

Well I don't have a camera other than the throw away kind.

I'm not a photographer, just a point and shooter. *I don't want to
take the time to take film to a processor and wait for a week to get
them back only to see I have made a mess.

Any recommendations on Digital Cameras.

Kate T. *South Mississippi- Hide quoted text -

Old May 12th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I'm not a photographer, just a point and shooter. *I don't want to
take the time to take film to a processor and wait for a week to get
them back only to see I have made a mess.

Thankfully, even though waiting several days is still the cheapest
option, almost everywhere has shorter options, usually 1hr and 24hrs.
The price for putting the prints onto CD is coming down in price too.
I'm pretty sure you could do the whole thing with a disposable for
under $20, which is an awful lot cheaper than even a cheap digital
camera and the pictures would probably be better.

But, you're going to need help, unless it's a small quilt you're going
to pin to a design wall and take yourself (in which case the above
probably will be fine), so why not ask around and see if you can find
a willing volunteer who also happens to own a digital camera!

If you are keen on getting a digital camera, then it's not as
difficult as you might think, the main thing is that if you want to
take close ups it's better to stand further away and use an optical
zoom than to attempt to take it close up and not all cameras have
optical zoom, I think these days they all have digitial zoom, but that
is no different to downloading the picture onto your computer and
zooming in on there, you can get some ok results, but probably not
good enough for a quilt show, particularly if you have detailed
quilting or embellishing you want to show off. I just had a very quick
look at one of the price websites and it looked like there were plenty
of cameras between 50 and 100 dollars that would be reasonable, I'd be
aiming for 5.1 mega pixels, but 3.0 is probably sufficient and 3x
optical zoom. There are so many brands and all have different things
in their favour, I like Kodak, because they remain a top printer of
photographs and they do do a range of photo printers which you can
dock your camera on top off and work independently of a computer if
you wish, I also like that the printer dock charges the batteries! The
consumables aren't cheap, but they are shop quality, so whilst I try
and get most prints elsewhere, if I want anything at short notice, I
can do it. I got my camera and printer as a bundle as an end of line
and even though it was basically an impulse purchase I have been very
happy with it (I think I was with my dad, so I had someone to do a
reality check that it really was a good deal to be snapped up and I
called my husband to check it was ok too - actually, my mum was cross
with my dad for not buying one for them as well).

Cheers
Anne
Old May 12th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

i'm having the same dilemma. i want to buy a digital, but i dont know
which one. i've been doing the disposable ones, getting pics on disc,
it's exhausing. i'm not the greatest at computer stuff anyway. but i
really want to learn/do this, too.
let us know what you decide, Kate. i'd really be interested.

amy in CNY
Old May 12th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Anne:

I took you advice and looked at several Kodak and Canon digital
cameras.

I did some research on a feature called MACRO. Apparently this will
get pics of stitches or embellishments if you want to get that type of
closeup and clear not blurry one.

Now to find the one I like and that's easy to use.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old May 12th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Amy:

I've narrowed my search down to two in the Kodak line.

The Kodak A7121S has a lot of bells and whistles and costs almost 300
with taxes and an additional memory card.

I've also considered the Kodak C713 which is considerably less in
costs but operates on AA batteries. I understand that the Alkaline
batteries would be best to use but you can't take as many pics at
once. And batteries dying right in the middle of a photo session is a
bummer.

Both cameras have the macro feature.

When I was using the throw away cameras I would go through 3 or 4 at a
quilt show.

I don't know if the less expensive Kodak would stand up to a beating
like that. I might have to carry an ample supply of batteries.

The other brand of camera I am researching is the Canon.

When I get my new toy I will let you know.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old May 12th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

You can use rechargeable AA batteries, too. I have a Fujifilm camera
that uses AA batteries -- have had it for about 6 years. I have
rechargable batteries, but I think they are about worn out, as they
don't hold a charge very long. Most of the time I use the alkaline
batteries. The nice thing about using regular AA batteries is that they
are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace and you can get them most
anywhere. I make a point of always having a spare pair along when I take
the camera. I've found that batteries last longer if I use the view
finder instead of the screen; that's okay for outdoors, as the screen is
hard to see in bright light. I'm thinking it's about time for a new
camera, as it's low resolution and has only a digital zoom.

I definitely have been satisfied with the Fujifilm, though. I did some
research before I went shopping and had decided that Fujifilm sounded
like what I was looking for. Then I had two different dealers ask how I
intended to use the camera and both recommended the Fujifilm.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old May 12th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
"Kate T." wrote:

[...]

Kate, I have a Canon A570 and really like it. It does use the AA
batteries, but I just make sure I have spares at all times -- especially
in Houston. G I'd rather have had a camera that used a longer-lasting
battery, but I also wanted a regular viewfinder, and that narrowed my
choices. The regular viewfinder is nice, because you can get extra life
from batteries if you turn off the big display. This camera is easy to
use and has produced some very nice photos for me. HTH.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old May 12th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On May 12, 11:17*am, "Kate T." wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Kate!! looking forward to it! i really need one and want one,
but, i need some "people" feedback, not just salesmen PR. thanks
again!

amy in CNY

OT - Web cameras LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 3 November 30th 04 12:38 AM
Digital Cameras OT Flossy Quilting 25 July 19th 04 06:58 PM
cameras & scanners -thread Armand Vine Beads 2 April 30th 04 12:59 AM