Finally finished - happy dance, I guess

Old December 20th 04, 10:51 PM
Brian Christiansen

Default Finally finished - happy dance, I guess

I have finally finished a quilt I have been working on for...well I won't
say, but I will say it was supposed to have been a present for a holiday
that occurred well before Christmas. It is a Christmas, etc., present for my
brother and his wife. The quilt is a simple fencerail, with the finished
size of each of the patches being 4" by 2", and a double row of sashing (?)
around the outside. I wanted to make it big enough to fit a king size bed,
so I made it 90" by 108", I hope that is big enough.

There is a picture of it at http://photos.yahoo.com/v_1brchr. It is in the
folder marked "christmas quilt". One is a picture of the whole quilt on a
bed in the guestroom. The others are closeups of it. One of them show the
sashing (?), or at least partly. Another shows the "jumping jack quilting"
pattern that I used in it. Much as I would like to take credit for coming up
with the "jumping jack" pattern, it was out of a quilting magazine.

The blocks I hand quilted on a frame, you can see some of the stitching in
some of the pictures. For the outside sashing (?), I did some very big
stippling (which I am NOT going to post any pictures of), which was a major
wrestling match with such a large quilt.

PS - I put a (?) next to the word "sashing" because I am not quite certain
if that is the proper term. Is it still sahing if it is around the outside,
and not interspersed on the inside of the quilt in between the blocks.

Old December 20th 04, 11:32 PM
A&T

Well, I don't know about sashing technically, but I think it is called a
border if it goes all the way around the quilt, but....

who cares what you call it. The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure it will be
appreciated no matter how 'late' you think it is!!!

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

"Brian Christiansen" wrote in message
. ..
I have finally finished a quilt I have been working on for...well I won't
say, but I will say it was supposed to have been a present for a holiday
that occurred well before Christmas. It is a Christmas, etc., present for

my
brother and his wife. The quilt is a simple fencerail, with the finished
size of each of the patches being 4" by 2", and a double row of sashing

(?)

Old December 21st 04, 12:07 AM
Brian Christiansen

I like your stuff too.

Normally, I would call the stuff around the outside either a border or
"framing," but recently I have seen people on this group using the word
"sashing" for strips of fabric that are not blocks, and I am not quite
certain of the technical meaning of the term. Is it still "sashing" if it
goes around the blocks, or is it only "sashing" if it is interspersed
amongst the blocks?

Brian Christiansen

nk.net...

Old December 21st 04, 12:40 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Brian Christiansen" wrote:

[...]

It's lovely, Brian! I'd call that outer fabric a border, but you can
call it whatever you like. g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old December 21st 04, 12:50 AM
Louise

Brian, I generally call the strips of fabric between blocks sashing and the
strip(s) around the outside the border. That doesn't mean it's right,
though! I hadn't noticed the term sashing being used in any other way, but
I'll keep my eyes open for that. Maybe I've been wrong all these years!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Brian Christiansen" wrote in message
. ..
I like your stuff too.

Normally, I would call the stuff around the outside either a border or
"framing," but recently I have seen people on this group using the word
"sashing" for strips of fabric that are not blocks, and I am not quite
certain of the technical meaning of the term. Is it still "sashing" if it
goes around the blocks, or is it only "sashing" if it is interspersed
amongst the blocks?

Brian Christiansen

nk.net...

Old December 21st 04, 12:54 AM
Debi Matlack

It looks really nice! The colors work well together and seems to have some
movement to it that I like.
I am hoping to make my husband and I a quilt for our king size bed too this
year, but I'm not so sure about the quilting. I lose patience with machine
quilting trying to wrestle with it, but hand quilting is even slower, so I'm
not sure what I'm going to do...

--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old December 21st 04, 01:09 AM
Brian Christiansen

"Debi Matlack" wrote in message
ink.net...
It looks really nice! The colors work well together and seems to have some
movement to it that I like.
I am hoping to make my husband and I a quilt for our king size bed too

this
year, but I'm not so sure about the quilting. I lose patience with machine
quilting trying to wrestle with it, but hand quilting is even slower, so

I'm
not sure what I'm going to do...

--
Debi

Can you do the quilting in paralell lines ("in the ditch," but I suppose it
is really only be "in the ditch" if the pattern is an N-patch or fencerail).
Still would be a major wrestling match, but less of one than trying to do it
freehand.

Brian Christiansen

Old December 21st 04, 02:58 AM
Polly Esther

Happy dancing for you, Brian. What a glorious wonderful quilt. I love the
pattern and your fabrics and it calls me and says "Come here and let's have
a nice long winter's nap". Ah. Good, good. Polly

Old December 21st 04, 03:45 AM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Debi Matlack" wrote:

It looks really nice! The colors work well together and seems to have some
movement to it that I like.
I am hoping to make my husband and I a quilt for our king size bed too this
year, but I'm not so sure about the quilting. I lose patience with machine
quilting trying to wrestle with it, but hand quilting is even slower, so I'm
not sure what I'm going to do...

--
Debi

Debi, have you considered quilting it in sections and later putting the
sections together? It makes it more manageable. I haven't done that, but
a friend of mine did and found it worked really well.
Old December 21st 04, 04:10 AM
Julia in MN

Debi Matlack wrote:
I am hoping to make my husband and I a quilt for our king size bed too this
year, but I'm not so sure about the quilting. I lose patience with machine
quilting trying to wrestle with it, but hand quilting is even slower, so I'm
not sure what I'm going to do...

You can quilt it in sections. There are different ways to do that. You
can see how I did one at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/..._Sections.html

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/