Paper for machine paper pieccing in uk

Old September 26th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Paper for machine paper pieccing in uk

I haven't seen any of the special printer paper for paper piecing over
here, and as I now have Carol Doaks and Karen Stone's books that will
give printed PP 'patterns' I would like to print some and use my machine
rather than Stitch 'n Tear and hand piece.

Our current computer paper is too strong (80gms?) would a lighter
cheaper paper work? - What do the other UK paper piecers use?

I'm having a shopping day tomorrow (Colchester - no real quilt shops,
but presumably stationers) so any help appreciated.

(There is a Renmants Shop which has a bit of quilty stuff, or at least
the Felixstowe one does, so presume this is the same, so wont be
completely deprived!)

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old September 26th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Sally Swindells wrote:
I haven't seen any of the special printer paper for paper piecing over
here, and as I now have Carol Doaks and Karen Stone's books that will
give printed PP 'patterns' I would like to print some and use my machine
rather than Stitch 'n Tear and hand piece.

Our current computer paper is too strong (80gms?) would a lighter
cheaper paper work? - What do the other UK paper piecers use?

I'm having a shopping day tomorrow (Colchester - no real quilt shops,
but presumably stationers) so any help appreciated.

(There is a Renmants Shop which has a bit of quilty stuff, or at least
the Felixstowe one does, so presume this is the same, so wont be
completely deprived!)

Sally,

Can't help with what paper to buy (I use only freezer paper, folding the
paper back, so that I don't actually stitch through the paper), but if
you need to do many blocks of the same pattern, you can "copy" the
pattern using your sewing machine:

Print one copy (or draw by hand), place this on top of other pieces of
paper (you can staple them together). Keep an old needle in your sewing
machine, take the top and bobbin threads of and stitch on the lines. Now
you've got a bunch of copies.

Like I said, I use freezer paper now, but before I used (1) copy paper,
which is a bear to remove, (2) stitch and tear (same, I think), (3)
soluble stuff (expensive!!!) and pattern paper (the thin stuff, almost
like tissue paper - similar to what bought clothes patterns are made of).

HTH (at least a little bit?)

Hanne in London
Old September 26th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Sally look for something about newspaper weight. With a
short stitch it should tear out OK

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

"Sally Swindells" wrote
in message ...
:
: Our current computer paper is too strong (80gms?) would a
lighter
: cheaper paper work? - What do the other UK paper piecers
use?
:
: I'm having a shopping day tomorrow (Colchester - no real
quilt shops,
: but presumably stationers) so any help appreciated.
:
: (There is a Renmants Shop which has a bit of quilty stuff,
or at least
: the Felixstowe one does, so presume this is the same, so
wont be
: completely deprived!)
:
: --
: Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
: http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Old September 26th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/FoundationHowToPage.html
http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/technique/pfp.htm
http://quilting.about.com/od/foundat...aper_piece.htm

a couple of basic intorductions to FPP (Foundation Paper
Piecing)

and two well-known exponents of this art -

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
http://www.sews.com/quilting/pattern...arenstone.html

Imagine drawing your block pattern on paper and using a
stitch-and-flip sewing sequence to cover all the patches by
sewing fabric onto the paper, then removing the paper when
the block is complete.

Generally used for "picture blocks" and miniatures, or
producing very accurate blocks with odd angles
--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Granny Waetherwax" wrote in message
: On 26-09-2006 12:40, in article
, "Sally
: Swindells" wrote:
:
: I haven't seen any of the special printer paper for
paper piecing over
: here, and as I now have Carol Doaks and Karen Stone's
books that will
: give printed PP 'patterns' I would like to print some
and use my machine
: rather than Stitch 'n Tear and hand piece.
:
: Our current computer paper is too strong (80gms?) would
a lighter
: cheaper paper work? - What do the other UK paper piecers
use?
:
: I'm having a shopping day tomorrow (Colchester - no real
quilt shops,
: but presumably stationers) so any help appreciated.
:
: I can't help but I have a question, what is it with the
paper and quilts, I
: never heard about it, the only way I have ever workt with
paper is with
: templates in de honeycone form you sow together by hand.
:

Old September 26th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Here in the US -- I use tracing paper -- a very thin paper that I purchase at the office supply
places. Do you have something like that there?

Kate in MI

Old September 26th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

OK Sally - you did ask!!

From office supplies, I used to get 50gsm weight paper;
Flip chart paper is also 50gsm, and is beautiful to use (large sheets,
too);
Plain greaseproof - not the stuff with wax on - is what I use when I'm
going to use a lot;
You can get Carol Doak's foundation paper from Creative Grids
(www.creativegrids.com) + lots of others;
I have also used Golden Threads paper (bit expensive for this purpose,
but it does last ages), usually advertised for quilting through;

I don't know whether the greaseproof or Golden Threads paper would go
through the printer? and flip chart would be too big; but apart from
that ...
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
I haven't seen any of the special printer paper for paper piecing over
here, and as I now have Carol Doaks and Karen Stone's books that will
give printed PP 'patterns' I would like to print some and use my
machine rather than Stitch 'n Tear and hand piece.

Our current computer paper is too strong (80gms?) would a lighter
cheaper paper work? - What do the other UK paper piecers use?

I'm having a shopping day tomorrow (Colchester - no real quilt shops,
but presumably stationers) so any help appreciated.

(There is a Renmants Shop which has a bit of quilty stuff, or at least
the Felixstowe one does, so presume this is the same, so wont be
completely deprived!)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 26th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Sorry I can't be more help. PP is not my "thing" - I am
more into applique.

Good luck

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Granny Waetherwax" wrote in message
: On 26-09-2006 13:17, in article
, "Cats"
: wrote:
:
:
[...]
: Thanks, I will study it and try to understand
:

Old September 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Batik Freak

Sally,

I'm not in the UK, but if you don't mind hand-tracing your pattern, then
tissue paper is the way to go, unless you can afford the water soluble stuff
that goes through the printer. Our LQS BOTM this month is PP, and they sold
some PP paper to go with. It's a really weird paper, translucent, but like
wax paper or something - a real B!+(# to tear. It'll be tissue paper for me
once this stuff goes bye bye. Also, I have used printer paper; get the
cheapest you can find that will still go through the printer.

Old September 26th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Try scoring the sewn lines with the back of your stitch-ripper 'head',
Lisa. That has made removing paper *so* much easier for me.
..
In message . net, Batik
Freak writes

Old September 27th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Sally Swindells wrote:
I haven't seen any of the special printer paper for paper piecing over
here, I would like to print some and use my machine
rather than Stitch 'n Tear and hand piece.

-- Thank you everyone for your advice. It was paper that would go in my
printer I particularly wanted as I have programmes that will
automatically print the block patterns. Seemed silly not to use the easy
way if I had it!

Thank you Pat - I hadn't thought of looking in my Creative grids
catalogue - I have lashed out on some Carol Doak Paper, and bought some
replacement cutter blades to make up the £10 minimum. Then I can use the
old blades which need replacing for cutting up the paper! Thanks also
for the hint about flip chart paper - I think I know where there is some!

So thanks for all the handy hints - all printed out and put in a nice
new file so I can find them again. (I'm doing an Autumn/Winter sortout.
We downsized house 5 years ago, but somehow possessions have started
expanding, and storage has crept out of storage spaces, so am starting
it before it gets out of hand rather than after

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

paper making Carol In WI Yarn 2 July 1st 06 03:49 AM
source for pre-cut bible paper Eric General Crafting 0 May 28th 04 04:40 PM
Some experiments I have been trying..... Ray Jones Polymer Clay 5 March 26th 04 09:26 PM
paper juliasb(nospam) Rubberstamps 0 November 9th 03 04:47 PM
CHINESE PAPER CUT ITEMS HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:48 AM