Fun BOM I joined

Old June 12th 04, 06:50 PM
Shirley Ellen

Default Fun BOM I joined

Hi everyone

I just joined a new BOM at my LQS. Our first meeting was this morning. It
cost $10 to join. It's being held the 2nd Saturday of the month and you have
to be there before the doors lock at 9am or it will cost you another $10 to
get in. There is a demonstration and we are given the fabric needed for the
block that month. If we complete our block by the next meeting and bring it
to show then we get the fabric for the next block at no cost. So bascially
by the end of it we will have enough 12" blocks to make a quilt top for only
the initial $10 (plus thread and stuff). We have to use the fabric provided
because she doesn't want people going home and grabbing an already made
block instead of doing our homework. Smart girl.

We were given a choice of country, floral or bright. I chose country. All of
the blocks we're making are ones that are in the Underground Railway quilt
book that just came out.. and which I've already bought, so I can find
instructions in there too. She can't photocopy those instructions because
they are copyrighted.

This month is Drunkard's Path, which I've never done before cause it looks
hard, but after seeing the demonstration it doesn't look so difficult.

Shirley in BC

Note new URL for my Quilt Site (ad free)

My Quilt Site
http://quilts.inspiring-thoughts.com

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old June 12th 04, 09:17 PM
Helen in MN

Have a good time! I'm on my 3rd BOM club at a local LQS. Just don't believe
that this quilt will ONLY cost the original $10- let me think.. Have I ever
gotten out of the store without buying something??????

Helen in MN

"Shirley Ellen"
I just joined a new BOM at my LQS.

Old June 12th 04, 09:38 PM
the black rose

Shirley Ellen wrote:
We were given a choice of country, floral or bright. I chose country. All of
the blocks we're making are ones that are in the Underground Railway quilt
book that just came out..

Heh, I'm in a BOM that's using the same book, only it's being called a
Civil War BOM. There's a "country" BOM going on along side it, has
stuff like applique flowers, house blocks, stuff like that.

The Civil War BOM I'm in has done Bear Paw, Drunkard's Path, Flying
Geese, Crossroads, Monkey Wrench and Wagon Wheel. (We started in January.)

We did the Drunkard's Path in February -- it's a really interesting
technique. Just be sure to square up the patches to 3.5" before
assembling the block. I forgot to, and now the block is 13" unfinished
instead of 12.5". *blush*

To get the circle exactly centered in the square, I folded both into
quarters, finger-pressed, and matched the creases.

Oh, another tip -- use a walking foot if you have one to sew the fusible
onto the circles. A regular foot will push the fusible and distort it.

Other things I did:
-- ironed it only barely enough to make the fusible on the back of the
circle stick, it just needed to not slip while stitching, not stick like
iron, because then I
-- cut as much fusible back out as I could
-- trimmed out the excess background
-- used a decorative stitch to sew the circle onto the square

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old June 12th 04, 10:50 PM
Shirley Ellen

This is the second BOM I'm doing. The other one started last January. They
will be working from this book to make a sampler in more appropriate fabrics
at a class in the Fall doing 2 blocks a week.

Shirley

Old June 12th 04, 10:55 PM
teleflora

[...]

Oh, I just bought that book and I LOVE it! I wanna play too! I would if it
would be cost effective for me to go from Kansas to British Columbia every
Saturday. Hmmm. Before 9 did you say?

Cindy

Old June 13th 04, 12:02 AM
Shirley Ellen

*LOL* Yep, before 9 or you have to pay another $10 to get in. Oh, and you
have to do your homework or it will cost you $10. We have one get out of
jail free card that we can use if we miss a week or are late but that's it.

I love quilting with other people, it's so much more fun

Shirley