Applique, 3-Dimensional Butterfly possible?

Old April 4th 04, 01:02 AM
QuiltShopHopper

Default Applique, 3-Dimensional Butterfly possible?

Hey Y'all Wise Women,

I saw a butterfly on a quilt, and the wings were up off the quilt, 3-D and
hardened by something. Body of the butterfly was a black thick satin
stitch, and I don't remember how she did the antenae.

I was told that the butterfly was appliqued. How did she DO that?? If you
have directions, pictures, or can verbally walk me through it, I'll send you
a squishy. How were the wings made hard? Has anyone here successfully done
3-D stuff like this?

Cyndi

Old April 4th 04, 02:18 AM
Becky

The directions for a 3D butterfly in "Landscape Quilts", say to iron a layer
of paper-backed fusible to the wrong side of both the butterfly and the
backing. You use the same butterfly print for both butterfly and backing,
cutting the pieces about a half inch larger all around than the butterfly
itself. You remove the paper from both pieces and iron them together so
that the two butterfly images line up. Then you carefully cut out the
butterfly shape. The adhesive of the fusible keeps it from fraying, and you
could also finish the edge with a decorative stitch if you liked. I suspect
the two layers of adhesive would give you a pretty stiff wing.

Becky

Old April 4th 04, 03:00 AM
Polly Esther

Just for "pretty", before I cut out the butterfly (seriously fused and
backed and stuff like they've told you), I would do a narrow zigzag around
the butterfly. Then cut it out, place it between a couple of layers of solvy
or net or the new Glad press and seal (?) - haven't tried this last one but
it ought to work and do a wider, closer satin stitch on the edges. You
really need something to hold the bug flat and still for the finishing satin
stitch.
If you have a little bit of an oops on the edge, you can always sneak
out the good old permanent marker to do a touch up. It is probably a good
idea to do a practice run first, those critters can wiggle on you sometime.
Polly

Old April 4th 04, 06:01 AM
Butterfly

You'd "wiggle" too if you had THAT many needle pokes around you! Poor
thing.....getting stabbed and stabbed and stabbed--makes my Wings HURT just
thinking about it

Butterfly (ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch)
ink.net...

Old April 4th 04, 02:55 PM
Patti

Hullo Mary
I've thought about this several times, but have never quite sorted out
the wire. Is it a special kind of wire - which will not rust or stain?
And then do you just include the wire in the satin stitching? I quite
like the idea of this new branch of the great quilting adventure!
..
In article , Tia
Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply writes

There is a needlework technique called stumpwork that is 3-dimensional. The
body of the item -- say a butterfly -- is stitched on needlework fabric. The
wings are stitched on a separate needlework fabric and a thin wire is attached
to the edge of the wing design with the wire ends left long. The excess fabric
around it wings is cut away and the long wire ends are stuck through the body
of the stitched butterfly and attached on the back. some people will add an
iron on stiffener to give more body.
I have also seen this done with applique. all it needs is the thin wire to
be stitched in the proper areas and then attached to the proper place. The
iron on innerfacing will give lots of stiffness to the applique piece and the
wire helps to keep the whole thing from getting saggy. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 4th 04, 04:30 PM
Julia in MN

I made some rather large 3-D butterfly "soft sculptures" to hang in our
church for Easter several years ago. If laid flat, they were probably
about 12x18 inches. I cut the wings (top and bottom) from the fabric and
fused a fusible polyester fleece to the back side of both the top and
bottom pieces. I sewed a flat, sew-through boning in an X across the one
piece. I made the body from black and stuffed it a bit. That boning
would probably work for what you are doing, too, depending on the size
of your butterfly.

I bought this boning at Joann Fabrics. It was not the traditional hard
boning. It was more like a stiff mesh about 1/2" wide. I sewed it on by
stitching down both sides. I wish I could remember what it was called.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/